• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Iwata's Apology

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
Satoru Iwata, the president and CEO of Nintendo, recently sent out this apology letter to all Nintendo 3DS owners:

Greetings, everyone. This is Satoru Iwata from Nintendo.

Thank you very much for purchasing a Nintendo 3DS.

We have just announced a price drop for the Nintendo 3DS system effective on August 11 [August 12 in North America].

In the past, there have been price drops for video game systems some time after their release in order to broaden the user base further. However, never before has Nintendo chosen to issue such a dramatic price drop less than 6 months after a system release.

We are all too keenly aware that those of you who supported us by purchasing the 3DS in the beginning may feel betrayed and criticize this decision.

This unprecedented timing for a price cut is because the situation has changed greatly since we originally launched the 3DS. We decided it was necessary to take this drastic step in order to ensure that large numbers of users will continue to enjoy the 3DS in the future.

If the software creators and those on the retail side are not confident that the Nintendo 3DS is a worthy successor to the DS and will achieve a similarly broad (user) base, it will be impossible for the 3DS to gain popularity, acquire a wide range of software, and eventually create the product cycle necessary for everyone to be satisfied with the system.

Those customers who purchased the 3DS at the very beginning are extremely important to us. We know that there is nothing we can do to completely make up for the feeling that you are being punished for buying the system early. Still, we would like to offer the following as a sign of our appreciation to you.

[3DS Ambassador program details]

We feel a strong responsibility to develop the 3DS as a platform -- to ensure that, in the end, everyone is satisfied; we will make every effort to do so.

Additionally, we know everyone is waiting for Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7. They are scheduled for release in November and December, respectively, so we ask for your patience until then.

Thank you again, and we look forward to your continued support.

So, what do you think of this letter? Do you accept Iwata's apology? I personally do. I mean, the price drop had to happen for a reason, and i'm totally cool with everything that's happening with the Ambassador program, etc.

So, apology accepted?

Garo

Boy Wonder
I don't think Iwata-san needed to apologize to us.

But I am incredibly happy that he did. It shows how much Nintendo actually cares for their customers. He seems genuinely sorry, too, especially as he is taking a 50% pay cut and took the time to write this apology letter in addition to the original Ambassador program announcement. I absolutely accept his apology, even though I don't think the situation mandated one.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
I don't think Iwata-san needed to apologize to us.

But I am incredibly happy that he did. It shows how much Nintendo actually cares for their customers. He seems genuinely sorry, too, especially as he is taking a 50% pay cut and took the time to write this apology letter in addition to the original Ambassador program announcement. I absolutely accept his apology, even though I don't think the situation mandated one.
I didn't think an apology was needed wither, but this is Iwata's and Nintendo's way, as you said, of showing us they care. ^^ That is why Nintendo > Sony & Microsoft.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'm not part of the group that has bought a 3DS early, so I can't really comment with the same sympathy that you all have, but I can still empathize with both you and Iwata-san. I mean, I know how most of both parties feel - the firms at Nintendo really do seem to care about it's customers/supporters/fans that they would give out a letter. I don't believe that Iwata-san was looking for any sympathy or "it's okay!" from the customers, I think he just wanted to know that he was genuinely sorry about the event and no number of free games could help the hurt that was the 'extra' $80 you guys/girls paid. And at the same time, I believe that most of the people who bought a 3DS early accept his apology and will enjoy the games that they hopefully will get, and beyond that will still continue to support Nintendo.

Side note- Sony cares (After PSN went down for like a month, we got a free subscription to PSN Plus and a couple of free downloadable PSN titles!), Microsoft doesn't (do I need to bring up the paying for Xbox Live?).

I never intended for him to make an official apology but the fact that he did and the fact that they've made a price drop makes me thinks that the current sales for the 3DS is not what Nintendo were hoping for.

Hanyou

didn't build that
An unnecessary apology. Those of us who chose to purchase a 3DS early (and I was among them) made our own financial decision. The experiences I've had with that little system have been so wonderful for the past few months that I couldn't possibly be angry about the price drop.

Still, you can say what you want about what Nintendo's done in the past--THIS is classy and much appreciated. I'm all too happy to support this company as much as possible.

Lady_Yuna

GoodNight SunShine!
I didn't think an apology was needed wither, but this is Iwata's and Nintendo's way, as you said, of showing us they care. ^^ That is why Nintendo > Sony & Microsoft.

I agree. He didn't need to apologize. But, I think Sony cares about its customers just as much as Nintendo does. Like Vanitas mentioned, when the PSN was restored; they offered 3 free titles, help on preventing identity theft, and gave out a free 30 day subscription for the Playstation Plus to all of its members. I don't know about Microsoft since I prefer my PS3 over the xbox, but I'm pretty sure they take care of their people too. Anywho, I seriously think Iwata should run for president:rolleyes:. He was able to cut his salary in half to cover the loss of sales for the 3DS while our government can't make a decision when it comes to the economy. Somethings wrong with this picture.:dry:

I

IlikeBacon

I don't think it was needed either. I love my 3DS. Just downloaded Mario's Picross. =3 I love that we're getting the 20 games though. I was going to purchase The Legend of Zelda this month on the Wii VC. I can wait a bit longer to get it free. Can't wait to see what the other games will be. I have so much respect for Iwata, more so now than ever before! Go Iwata!

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I don't feel that Iwata had anything to apologize for. It's very obvious why Nintendo slashed the price when they did. The Vita was priced, selling at a loss, at the same price point as the 3DS. So Nintendo's response was to cut the price further in order to stay competitive. It was a predictable response to Sony's actions.

That is, of course, on top of low sales and the fact that the 3DS has gotten a reputation for lacking quality titles. I also think that the free titles being offered more than make up for the $80 dollar gap in price, and would recommend that people purchase a 3DS before the price falls just to get these games.

Furthermore, many retailers offered deep discounts on the 3DS even before now. I got $100 off the price by trading in a DSi XL, so I really only paid $150. When you factor in all the games I traded in (and I got a bonus on trading in games towards the 3DS, too), I only paid $20 for the whole thing, including a game. So I actually feel like I got a great deal. ^^

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
I think it is really nice that he did this. Iwata has got to be a very busy person, and knowing that he took time out of his busy schedule to personally apologize shows how much he cares for his fans. I wasn't too mad about the price drop to begin with really. I have thoroughly enjoyed the 4 months I have had mine. When I bought my system I knew there was going to be a price drop at some point, it was my choice to buy my system on the launch day.

I forgive Iwata and Nintendo, they are a business and they need to do what is necessary.

C

Caleb, Of Asui

I don't think he needed to apologize for anything, either, especially since I was never really angry. When I first heard the price was going to be dropped, I was not as angry about losing those $80 as I was happy to see them making the right move to boost the system's sales, given how slowly the system has started up--especially THIS system, THE Nintendo 3DS. Of course, they also need more games for the system, but that will take longer to remedy.

When I heard about the 20 free games, though, that makes it pretty awesome. That's about $4 per game, and for most of those I'd be willing to buy them for more money, so this makes me very happy. It makes me especially happy that this confirms that Game Boy Advance games will be made available for Virtual Console in a more general sense.

Hanyou

didn't build that
I think it is really nice that he did this. Iwata has got to be a very busy person, and knowing that he took time out of his busy schedule to personally apologize shows how much he cares for his fans. I wasn't too mad about the price drop to begin with really. I have thoroughly enjoyed the 4 months I have had mine. When I bought my system I knew there was going to be a price drop at some point, it was my choice to buy my system on the launch day.

I forgive Iwata and Nintendo, they are a business and they need to do what is necessary.

I agree with you somewhat, but it seems like PR is part of Iwata's job description. I doubt this was taking time out of his busy schedule so much as doing what he was supposed to.

But it's true what you say--when you bought it, you knew there would be a price drop. This dramatic a drop so early in the game is unprecedented, so we couldn't have forseen it, but adults need to take accountability for their own financial decisions. I spent $250 on the 3DS because it was worth that much to me.

Honestly, I don't care that the price is dropping; if anything, it's good for me. Popularity will rise, leading to an increased amount of quality 1st and 3rd party games. I wouldn't have waited 2 months to play OoT 3D just to save $80 anyways, so the way I see it it's no problem at all. Not to mention, I get free admission into the Ambassador program, so I remain highly content with my economical decision. Apology unnecessary and accepted, Mr. Iwata.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
Iwata-sama didn't have to apologize! There goes Japan with respect! I'm so grateful! *Blush* As soon as I read the part about the 20 free games I was like "F**** YEAH! 20 FREE GAMES!!!" So yeah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom