• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Iwata: New Gamers Can't Beat Level 1 of Super Mario Bros.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Nintendo CEO: 90 Percent of New Gamers Unable to Finish Level 1-1 in Original Super Mario Bros - HotHardware

Here's an article in which Iwata stats that 90% of gamers can't finish the first level of Super Mario Bros. What do you think?

I'm personally not surprised. In the old days, games were taken more seriously and, honestly, weren't treated like games. They were treated almost like a business in some ways. These days games generally aren't taken so seriously, the games have gotten easier and the easiness has expanded the market. Casuals were rare in the old days, but since 3D gaming, casuals have become more and more common--even non-gamers are starting to play games now.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Even though this is satire, the idea isn't surprising at all. People just cannot take difficulty. The slightest hint of difficulty sends people going mad...in the Nintendo sphere of things.

Meanwhile, you have difficulty levels in all sorts of games. >_>

Again, even though this is satire, the idea isn't surprising and it in fact gives a great message: Nintendo, make your games harder. :yes:

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
I don't think it's that games have gotten easier, but more that games have changed. There is more of a variety of difficulties, yes, but games have not gotten easier. Kirby's Epic Yarn is really easy, but I wouldn't dare pick up the game Demon's Souls. The reason 90% can't finish the first level of Super Mario Bros. is because there are more people playing video games. The amount of people that could finish the first level is the same as in the 80's, higher even.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
*looks up* ...Well I missed that. -_-

And now...I'm surprised. XD The results they showed were more-or-less what I expected. To hear they are false baffles me.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Well, I realize its semi in jest, but I have to say, sure I died in the first level when I played the game when I was 2, but you know what, after I learned that I needed to push the buttons to move , run and jump, I eventually beat the game.

I mean set any 2 year old in front of the game , and watch them try to shake the controller , or not understand they gota use the buttons, or the very basic concepts of the game the first time.

I mean, even a toddle can figure out how to beat the game, or try to eat the controller, either way they are being entertained right? And if they are in the 'tries to eat it' group doesn't matter how easy or hard the game is, they won't be beating it. And if they are in the group that can understand they are controlling the guy on screen, no reason to pander to them, instead give them a game thats fun and makes them want to try and try until they beat it.

ThePurpleKnight

ThePurpleKnightmare
I can't complete the original Sonic the Hedgehog Green Hill act 2, not enough patience for the platform jumping part. Maybe that Mario game has something like that? Who wants to jump on platforms the size of toothpicks with a character that runs off when he lands.

Nintendo CEO: 90 Percent of New Gamers Unable to Finish Level 1-1 in Original Super Mario Bros - HotHardware

Here's an article in which Iwata stats that 90% of gamers can't finish the first level of Super Mario Bros. What do you think?

I'm personally not surprised. In the old days, games were taken more seriously and, honestly, weren't treated like games. They were treated almost like a business in some ways. These days games generally aren't taken so seriously, the games have gotten easier and the easiness has expanded the market. Casuals were rare in the old days, but since 3D gaming, casuals have become more and more common--even non-gamers are starting to play games now.

I like to think that difficulty in games hasn't changed very much at all since the old days. Nintendo games in particular have always been "casual" (bar a few exceptions). Back then, videogames were seen as "kid's stuff." Adults who played them on a so-called "hardcore" level were considered a special, and ofttimes rare, breed (the use of the word "special" here has many connotations, some of which are negative ones).

Along the lines of what Firestar mentioned, I think it has something to do with the fact that gaming as a whole is no longer a niche pastime geared toward "kids" and that "special breed of adult"; more people are playing them. Given that large amount of fans that Nintendo has amassed over the years, it has simply become a lot easier to put into perspective just how easy the games are, or rather, have always been. The overall difficulty of Nintendo games hasn't budged very much at all.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
One of my flatmates is a gamer, but when I introduced him to the original Super Mario games I was shocked to see just how bad he was at those games. It's no joke that he ran into a game over by the time he reached 1-3 and the only way he actually reached 1-3 at all was because I told him where the extra lives could be found... When we played Super Mario Bros 3, he was lucky to manage to complete a single level before having to restart, and that includes me letting him get most of the mushrooms and stars bonus levels...

The article may be based on an exaggeration, but it's actually baffling to see just how poorly gamers who started out in the 3D era handles their introduction to 2D. Really, how hard is it to understand and learn the control scheme of a direction panel and two action buttons..?

I understand people trying out gaming for the first time needing time to understand the mechanics, but someone who actually has played a lot of video games surely should learn to explore a controller enough to get the jist in under a minute, right? At least that's been my experience as I've moved from controller scheme to controller scheme over the years.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
I believe its because the controls might be more ridged then what they are used to. It is hard to explain.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
One of my flatmates is a gamer, but when I introduced him to the original Super Mario games I was shocked to see just how bad he was at those games. It's no joke that he ran into a game over by the time he reached 1-3 and the only way he actually reached 1-3 at all was because I told him where the extra lives could be found... When we played Super Mario Bros 3, he was lucky to manage to complete a single level before having to restart, and that includes me letting him get most of the mushrooms and stars bonus levels...

The article may be based on an exaggeration, but it's actually baffling to see just how poorly gamers who started out in the 3D era handles their introduction to 2D. Really, how hard is it to understand and learn the control scheme of a direction panel and two action buttons..?

I understand people trying out gaming for the first time needing time to understand the mechanics, but someone who actually has played a lot of video games surely should learn to explore a controller enough to get the jist in under a minute, right? At least that's been my experience as I've moved from controller scheme to controller scheme over the years.
I got a friend, like that, he's a slightly faster twitch shot then me at games like call of duty, and over all well above average at shooters, tried playing Donkey Kong Country 2 with him, and he did nothing but die, I pretty much had to play the entire game myself. Made it to the end of that Huanted Foresty world before he got too pissed off/ bored of dying and I was too drunk to keep playing.

Kids these days... Do you even platform, bro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom