• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

I've never played a Pokemon game, but I want to begin. Recommendations?

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
The title says it all. I hate the anime and the card game. And I don't want to support modern Game Freak. So... where do I begin?

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
just get Sword or Shield if you've never played Pokemon tbh
the DS games are tragically overpriced and the GBC games are horribly outdated

what's the best pokemon game? Emerald, probably. Some yung'uns might say Platinum because of the physical/special split but back in the day it was so much easier to remember. X and Y are available on the eShop and include basically all the features of modern pokemon, and the same is true of ORAS but also with legendaries

Sun and Moon are the best modern games if you don't count Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, since that's a bit different than regular pokemon

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Any game from platinum to Black/white 2 is your best bet, as the first few gens are horribly outdated, and the later entries can be hell to get into due to their hand-holdyness. Any of the games from gen 3 (ruby, sapphire, emerald, fire red, leaf green) are also good entry points.

Just as long as you don’t buy into GameFreaks current lazy attempt at a cash grab you’re fine.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
If you're good on emulation, fire red/leaf green is what got me into it, heck black white 2 was already a thing when I first played it, if you're gonna play any classic pokemon game, generation 2 should be the oldest to go back to since I at least think it still holds up, mainly crystal

also wanna throw out emerald and black white 2

Quin

Disaster Master
Play HG/SS. Then just stop. You played the best game in the series and it will never get any better than this. G/S if you wanna go retro
Emerald, Platinum and black/white (2) are solid choices too, but you only really need to play one game in the series, its all the same stuff, and not in a good way. Don't go beyond that though. 3DS is where you easily start to notice the incompetence of Gamefreak, and on the switch its overwhelming how bad it is.

Alternatively, Play Dragon Quest 5 (on DS). The best pokemon game, made before pokemon ever existed.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Is it a zoomer take if I actually prefer to play the original gold myself?
this is pretty much the correct take
HGSS aren't marked improvements in terms of quality from GS, only newer graphics and extra content
I'd not play either myself when better games exist, like Crystal or any gen 3 game

I think online capabilities account for a lot these days and if someone is just getting into pokemon I'd much rather point them to gen 6/7/8 first as these still have some online presence going for them and also do a much better job at being newbie friendly in general
so it really depends what you're going for @AwdryFan1997
the older games have a lot of questionable design choices but have a lot of charm in their own right, while the 3D games are full of the modern sensibilities of game design

Quin

Disaster Master
The online in the modern games is so ass(sole exception being X/Y) that it really doesn't account for much.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I wouldn’t recommend either version of gen 2, actually. They can be incredibly unforgiving if you don’t know what you’re doing, to the point where you can fight every trainer you meet and still be a good 10-20 levels behind by the time you get to the last gym.

If you want an older title, gen 3 is probably the earliest I’d recommend. Other than that, Platinum or any game from gen 5 is your best bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom