• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

It's over - what was your Game of the Generation?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Today marks the launch of the Xbox Series X and I think it's safe to say that it - together with the PS5 launch later this week - solidifies the end of this console generation.

Depending on who you ask, this generation might be safe, or daring, predictable, or bold. But there's no denying that it has been a real ride. From gaming officially becoming the biggest entertainment branch ever, to the dawn of mobile gaming and free-to-play, to the modern open world genre being a huge trend, to the continued rise of indie games and platforms .. it's been interesting, to say the least.

Simply put - what game, or games, comes off as your favorite of the bunch? A game that will be the one that you look back most fondly upon when someone wants you to recall this generation?

(It's up to everyone individually to count the generation however they want, if they want to include the Wii U or not, and if the Switch should count as well.)

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Home console wise Breath of the Wild cuz I have put a lot of hours into it between owning it first on the Wii U and eventually on the Switch. But the game I have spent the most time on and would be my game of the generation is Pokemon Omega Ruby for the 3DS, it's the first time I ever bothered to complete the dex.

MW7

My favorite game was Breath of the Wild. Super Mario Odyssey is probably second though. I think it may be my favorite Mario game now.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
For me it was The Witcher 3. Definitely the game of the decade! Absolutely loved it. And apart from a technical bug on the first playthrough that they patched, I had no complaints.

Nier Automata would be my second pick. Great game also.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
1605136869918.png

Definitely Witcher 3. It's one of the biggest games I've played and easily one of the best RPGs I've ever touched. It has excellent writing, continues to look graphically impressive five years after release, and has the sort of quests that make the side quests in Breath of the Wild look embarrassing.

Breath of the Wild. It's not even close for me. It was the first Zelda game I ever completed; not only that, it was the first large scale videogame on a console I ever completed. I'm going to finish my second full playthrough of it this Saturday, complete with all 120 shrines, all four Divine Beasts, the full Trial of the Sword, and the Champion's Ballad done. I'm going to storm Hyrule Castle with my fully upgraded Master Sword, Hylian Shield, and wearing the garments of the Hero of the Wild. Each time I've played this game, it's been incredible. Ocarina of Time is still my favorite, closely followed by Majora's Mask, but Breath of the Wild is definitely game of the generation, if not game of the decade for me. My only problems with it lie in some weird and uncalled-for departures from series tradition (like the lack of dungeons) and the lackluster side quests that aren't tied to shrines. Other than that, it's a near perfect game. It looks absolutely gorgeous, blasting most other games like it out of the water, it has brilliantly fun and innovative gameplay, and the music is some of the best to come out of videogame OSTs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom