• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

It's About To Happen

It's about to happen... I'm going to complete Majora's Mask this saturday for the first time.

Now people may shoot me for not completing this game up until now, but that's besides the point, and I'm ready to do it now. My friend has not completed it either, and we're going to complete it together.

Now I have a very low opinion about this game. I always state it as my least favorite Zelda game, and I feel like such an idiot making such a bold statement without completing the actual game. I make such a statement because I hated the game so much that I'd rather mow the lawn than play it. The time mechanic annoys me, the fact that there is only four dungeons irritates me, I generally hate sidequests, and I don't like the idea of being in Termina (an alternatie dimension supposably). Playing this game is a chore that I never wanted to do again.

Now, this thread is to ask the fellow members at ZD what I should expect from the game, what I should focus on the game (obviously not the dungeons...), and perhaps how I should approach the game. Should I focus on doing the dungeons first than the bomber's notebook sidequests? The opposite? Any help would be appreciated.

I'm hoping to get a better appreciation for this game. Maybe I'll end up hating it even more, I don't know, but I can't continue to critizice it without even completing it yet. Thanks for your help!

All I can say is, don't let the amount of dungeons sway you to dislike the game. Majora's Mask receives a lot of its praise for how superbly it handles the small amount of dungeons. Also, as you progress through the game you'll come to realize that time mechanic is much less of a nuisance than it appeared to be prior to you playing it. If anything, it adds to various aspects of the game - including its plot - and adds a level of [positive] urgency like no other game in the series. And there's no need to worry about the side-quests, as you'll come to appreciate how great they are, and how smoothly they meld into the plot - fueling it in the process. I'm sure you'll become attached to the NPCS and motivated to save them as well. All in all, I'd say focus on beating the game, and focus less on the time mechanic.

MW7

One thing that people don't usually talk about regarding Majora's Mask is how many minidungeon type areas there are in the game. I made a thread about it a long time ago, but you might want to wait to read it later to avoid spoilers http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/f9/how-many-mini-dungeons-does-majoras-mask-have-27546.html. For instance though, in order to reach the fourth dungeon you have to complete two minidungeon areas and then the area leading to the dungeon is no walk in the park either.

Also the time mechanic either becomes your best friend or your worst enemy after playing the game. Lots of people hate it, but personally I love it to death. It lets you basically replay any dungeon or part of the game from scratch whenever you want because the keys reset everywhere. Plus you can complete the dungeons in different ways once you have items later on in the game. Majora's Mask has more replay value than the three 3d Zelda games after it put together IMO.

Finally the last three dungeons in the game are really lengthy and hard (at least on a first playthrough). Yeah I'd rather have seven really good dungeons like in Skyward Sword, but one good dungeon and three amazing dungeons aren't that bad in comparison. Plus adding in the various possible minidungeons you are spending a lot of time in dungeon-like areas.

One thing that people don't usually talk about regarding Majora's Mask is how many minidungeon type areas there are in the game. I made a thread about it a long time ago, but you might want to wait to read it later to avoid spoilers http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/f9/how-many-mini-dungeons-does-majoras-mask-have-27546.html. For instance though, in order to reach the fourth dungeon you have to complete two minidungeon areas and then the area leading to the dungeon is no walk in the park either.

Also the time mechanic either becomes your best friend or your worst enemy after playing the game. Lots of people hate it, but personally I love it to death. It lets you basically replay any dungeon or part of the game from scratch whenever you want because the keys reset everywhere. Plus you can complete the dungeons in different ways once you have items later on in the game. Majora's Mask has more replay value than the three 3d Zelda games after it put together IMO.

Finally the last three dungeons in the game are really lengthy and hard (at least on a first playthrough). Yeah I'd rather have seven really good dungeons like in Skyward Sword, but one good dungeon and three amazing dungeons aren't that bad in comparison. Plus adding in the various possible minidungeons you are spending a lot of time in dungeon-like areas.

I agree. Many fans seem to forget the various mini-dungeons to be found in Majora's Mask; there's at least ten of them depending on what one considers to be a "mini-dungeon." At any rate, the main dungeons are not too bad either - as I mentioned in previous post - as they are handled very well; giving you various replay options as the game progresses.

Regarding the time mechanic: If it turns out to be problem for you (OP), just keep in mind that on your journey you'll acquire the ability to slow down and speed up time at your convenience. This is something I didn't mention in my previous post, because it might be considered "spoilers." Anyway, if used right, the time mechanic can be extremely useful, and even fun.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I have come to find that it's not always the sheer amount of dungeons a game contains, but what they do with that amount. In my opinion, MM handled its dungeons incredibly well and provided many options, thereby boosting replay value to astronomical heights - moreso than any other 3D Zelda. From what I've seen, including very few dungeons and loading them with content isn't easy, but MM manages to pull it off (by using the time mechanic), and that's what makes it most unique among Zeldas.

Purple_Rupee

They call me Ammi
Congrats, Majora's Mask was definitely one of my top favorites out of the series. It had a lot to give in almost every aspect. It appealed to my puzzle side as well as my adventurous side. It gave several generally good story features and I believe personally before someone starts the entire series they should definitely play through either Ocarina of Time or Majora's mask first. It gives a good grasp of what you should be looking forward to in "Legend of Zelda" in general.

Understanding what your up against is a good way to know right off the bat initially the kind of gamer you are when it comes to these types of games. Are you a more strategic gamer or someone who can't wait for that next target. Or are you more like myself a treasure hunter, whom simply can't wait to find that next rare item or dungeon item wether it be a treasure map or a bomb i'm looking forward to it -lol-

I had no real complaints about Majora's Mask it was a generally interesting game. And it also helped me a bit to learn about the effectiveness of good time management and punctuality -lol- that's a life skill for you up and comers. All in all i'd give Majora's Mask a thumbs up on replay value.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Once you understand how the 3-day cycle works, you'll find it much less frustrating. I know many people who have used that as a reason to not play the game but once you give it a go you realise it isn't that bad. As everyone is saying, just plan ahead and know that you can slow and speed time as needed.
As everyone else is also saying, Majora's Mask has only 4 dungeons but they are some of the best and most challenging of the entire series and the game is littered with mini-dungeon areas too.

The thing I would say to you is focus on the Bomber's Notebook. Majora's Mask excells beyond all other Zelda titles with its detailed and well designed side-quests. To me, they are a much more important and central part of the game than in any other Zelda. If you focus on getting all of the masks and completing the Notebook, I think you'll have a great time playing the game and getting to know the world of Termina.

Also, it's good that you're giving the game chance despite having a low opinion of it. Hopefully, you'll grow to appreciate it :)

Are you going to get the Fierce Deity's Mask?

My friend and I are completing the game with no help from a written guide/video guide. I'm not sure how difficult it is to acquire each mask without a guide, so as of now it's up in the air whether or not we get it. I generally find puzzles and quests in Zelda easy, so if the Bomber's Notebook is detailed enough I'm sure I'll have no problem getting each mask. The only problem is one, we're trying to complete it in two days (the weekend) so time might be an issie, and two, I'm not even sure if I'd want to get it. Like I've said before, I enjoy the main storyline moreso than sidequests. If getting each mask is too tedious, than I'll just forget about it. I'm trying to explore as much of the game as possible, so that's why I'm going to atleast attempt to get as many masks possible.

In short, yes, I'm going to attempt to get the Fierce Diety Mask.

Hero of…. #s, I guess
I would advice you to not obsess about the time cycle. When I first played Majora's Mask, I was a little obsessed about finishing dungeons within a certain number of cycles. Take it easier with those. Go ahead and take some time to look around a dungeon and see go a little bit into it, try to figure out what's going on there, and take as many cycles as you need to figure out the dungeon. When you go in to genuinely finish the dungeon you should know exactly how to finish it, so you can speed through it and not have to worry about time.

Also, the game has a lot of shortcuts that you can use across time, so if you learn a warping song, you can return to that location after resetting time, so that's another thing to alleviate any time cycle concerns. Rupees can be stored at the bank in Clock Town, which magically transcends time.

With the sidequests, do as many or as few as you feel comfortable with. My first playthrough I did very few of them and still enjoyed the game immensely, so if you rather dislike them you can still play the game and enjoy it while doing few or none of the sidequests.

Finally, if you find that 3 days aren't enough time to do what you want, I suggest meeting with someone somewhere in Clock Town who might give you a hint to deal with that. ;) (in case you didn't already know I'm not spoiling it)

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
When playing the game, think about the story, not the game mechanics. Because when I do that, the time mechanic doesn't really bother me. another reason to pay more attention to the story is because the end of the game, and the story it's self, is amazing.

Sorry if I sound rude or offend anyone because you are sounding completely biased of most people saying they loved it. ( Like me.) The time mechanic makes it more fun, for one you are limited and cant sit around and do nothing. You can replay the areas you already visited, and if you are doing a task there, you have limited time to find the answer. Its really a gigantic puzzle when you think about it, the over world is probably the best for not being linear and not pointing where you need to go. The only hint you start off with is Tatles directions leading you to talk to people and find out where to go and what you might need to do. Listen to every character, don't overlook or ignore anything and you will find victory!

respect :-) i haven't played mm yet.well that's not strictly true,i have played the beginning of it,but was a bit overwhelmed as what to do once i got out of the first dungeon area :S i do plan on playing it though (with the help of a walkthrough :embarrassed: for when i get stuck).

respect :-) i haven't played mm yet.well that's not strictly true,i have played the beginning of it,but was a bit overwhelmed as what to do once i got out of the first dungeon area :S i do plan on playing it though (with the help of a walkthrough :embarrassed: for when i get stuck).

I have needed a walk through with it too. But don't use it too much because it is more fun with no help.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
Sweet job bro! The ending is very drug-like, but then so is the rest of the game! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom