• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Italian Ocarina Of Time

I'm not new to forums in general, but as you can see I'm new to this one. If people as new as I am making threads is frowned upon, here, then I apologize.

But I have a question and thought you guys opinions could help persuade me in the right direction.

Well, I heard that OoT on the 3DS is being released June 19th in North America, and June 17th in Europe. Totally excited about this. I'm saving to buy a 3DS at the moment.

Here's the thing; I'm going to Italy this summer on June 9th, and I fly back June 19th. I was planning on getting OoT when I get back, but I was thinking, since I'll be in Europe, maybe I can get it there. Having Ocarina Of Time 3D bought from Italy the day it came out sounds like an amazing souvenir to me. Plus it'll be great to have on the 14 hour flight back.

Some questions, though:

When they say European release date, do you think that really only means UK? Or do you think all of Europe like Italy will apply?

Also, do you think it'll be safe to assume I can change the language to English on the game? I don't speak a word of Italian, and even though I've played OoT plenty of times and could probably beat it without understanding dialogue, it'll still take away from the experience. Or maybe does the game's language depend on the language set on the 3DS?

Any opinions are welcome.

P.S., June 9th is also a song by my favorite band. Thought I'd share.

butterbiscuit

- Do Not Eat -
What region of 3DS are you getting?

If you, say, got an American 3DS and an Italian OoT3D, the game would not play. 3DS systems are region locked, meaning they cannot play games of a region outside of their own. If you bought an Italian 3DS and an Italian OoT3D, it would play fine, but you'd have to buy Italian games henceforth for that 3DS.

Food for thought.

In addition to what butterbiscuit said...

I'm not sure where you are from... something tells me you're American. But if you are from the UK then you could probably get away with buying an Italian OoT3D. Both the UK and Italy use PAL systems as far as I know, so the game should work on a UK 3DS.

If your 3DS is American, however... I'm afraid it won't work, US consoles being NTSC and Italian games being PAL.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
Otherwise, games are usually released in all European countries at once. Which means that on the day it's available in the UK, it's also available in Italy, Germany, France, Belgium, Denmark, etc.

So if you decide to buy a European 3DS, you can get away with buying the Italian game. But there's another thing you'd have to keep in mind:

I don't know if it'll have English text. The first Professor Layton game for DS had English, German, Spanish, French and Italian text and voiceover. Parts 2 and 3 only had German. I have no idea how they'll release Ocarina of Time.

gabesawakening

Hi Fwiends!
Yes well.... that does stink so yah...... But it is great to know you are getting a 3ds! I have one already and I say that is great! The 3D is AMAZING! Well..... if you do manage to get OOT and 3ds in American I hope you beat the game! I too will be buying OOT 3DS!
:cucco:

JamesBond007

Indigo Child
Today, major games in Europe have five languages included: English, German, French, Spanish and Italian. Default language should depend on the console's set langauge (if English, the game also will be in English). If you set other language than E/G/F/S/I, the game also should be in English. But keep in mind that the box and instruction booklet will be in Italian.

I have a Wii version of first Super Mario Galaxy. The box and instruction booklet are in German, but the game is in English.

Like others have said, you won't be able to play the Italian version on your USA 3DS... ):

but hey! At least you have something to really look forward to after your trip! :)

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
Today, major games in Europe have five languages included: English, German, French, Spanish and Italian. Default language should depend on the console's set langauge (if English, the game also will be in English). If you set other language than E/G/F/S/I, the game also should be in English.
Like I said, thats how it should be. But I've got games (like the aforementioned Professor Layton 2&3, but also every Zelda game I own) where the English audio track is not on the disk or cartridge. Sometimes, there aren't even English subtitles. And yes, my DS is switched to English, and it works with other games.

Akiranon

Fallen Knight
The big five languages, yeah. Normally when a game is in more than language, it has a little logo on the backcover of the casing. I don't really remember what it looks like right now, but it's a circle made of uh... five flags and it says multi-5 in the center. If a game has that, then you can safely assume that the game will also have English text included. If it doesn't have that... Then it should say something along the lines of: manual in language X, game in language X, Y, Z.

But don't take my word for it. I'm European, but they never have any games in my language. :(

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
This is strange... it always used to be the case that things would come out in Japan, then the US, then Europe and possibly Australia. But lately, it seems like it's Japan, Europe, and THEN the US.

Do you think it could be that the American market has become less of a priority because of our economic problems? After all, effectively, Europeans are willing (and able) to pay a lot more for the same games and systems than we are, especially taking into account our recent currency inflation.

As long as they don't start completely dropping a bunch of games here the way they used to do in other regions, so that we don't see them at all, I guess that's fine. I kind of have a feeling that the only reason we haven't gotten a lot of games dropped, is because they have to do an English translation for the UK anyway, so they figure they might as well sell it to us after going to all that trouble.

Anyway, I don't see why they're so insistent on region-locking the games. All it does is frustrate legitimate users, because the hackers/pirates can always find a way around it. There used to be a technical argument for consoles, because of NTSC and PAL video standards applying to televisions, but now it's clearly just arbitrary. The 3DS is a portable system which runs the exact same hardware everywhere, it's just the firmware that's different.

Akiranon

Fallen Knight
Europe has always been a market with huge potential, but because of disappointing sales of the NES and SNES Nintendo sort of didn't give them a lot of priority. There's also the fact that pretty much every country uses their own language, and the fact that localizing stuff costs money. It wasn't until the first Playstation that things really took off here. I believe that DS sales are actually highest in Europe as well.

Europe has a lot of potential, moreso than the US. Compare the amount of people living in Europe to the amount of people in the US: 731 million (2005 census) versus 308 (2010 census) in the US. Of course there's a lot of money to be made here. And of course I understand that not all of those millions of people would buy a Nintendo, but the market is huge.

I think it's only fair that these days Europe gets games and consoles earlier these days. We've been suffering for far too long in the past. :P Heck, we didn't even get some games like Super Mario RPG and Earthbound. -_-

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom