• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"It get's fantastic .... 20 hours in."

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
I think saying something gets better later in is fair. Most things are that way. Reading a book is the same thing, where things don't get really going until things are setup first. Stories need a bit of setup sometimes and it's completely understandable.

I think there's a difference between something just starting bad and something taking a bit too really get exciting. Persona 5 is a little slow to start since it's a little bit of a tutorial and quite a bit of story. But it's absolutely worth it.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I agree with the idea that there is a distinct difference between a slow start and a game that doesn't get better until later. The first isn't a flaw, I would say, but a narrative choice. The second implies (to me at least) that the writing or gameplay itself is flawed, since the player has to wait for a good while to have something interesting or fun to engage with.

Trails in the Sky is a JRPG that comes to mind as a slow burner done right. It starts at a pretty slow pace and gradually grows into something much bigger. But what sets it apart from games that drag on until they get better is the meaningful dialogue and other interactions between the characters, regardless of how mundane what they're doing is at the moment. It almost impossible for the game to get dull when the characters are consistently bantering back and forth in ways that are entertaining to me.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
If a game starts bad and gets better later, then it's a bad game. You shouldn't have to slog through a bunch of game that isn't fun just so the developer and bless you with good gameplay 20 hours in.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
It depends. If it's simply a little slow at first but picks up soon after (not a super long time,) and it's a very high-quality game in general, then I'm definitely fine with it. If it's downright boring at the beginning or the slow part takes ages, I'm going to spend my money on a better game. That doesn't necessarily mean it was bad, but there are better uses of my time and money.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
if i'm desperate for something and the game seems like it'll deliver what i want but not unles i slog through some stuff then i might endure the slog just for the payoff. There are certainly at least some stories i've read that start off pretty boring but that i'm glad i stuck with because they ended up being worth it.

A weak opening is certainly a weakness, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom