• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Zelda in Breath of the Wild the Fulfillment of Hylia's Plan?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I was replying to a Daily Debate a fellow ZD writer posted asking if it was a mistake that the goddesses left behind the Triforce. In my reply, I began mentioning the lack of memory of the Triforce in the Era of the Wild, and how it seems Zelda is wielding the whole Triforce in Breath of the Wild. Then a portion of Skyward Sword's dialogue came back to me. Long ago, Hylia's plan was to give up her immortality and be reborn as a mortal so that the Triforce could be used. I've mentioned this before, it was always obvious to me that the implication here was that Hylia's mortal form would wield the Triforce. I thought that it meant Zelda in SS would fulfill this plan, but as we know, that didn't happen. Multiple thousands, or maybe even millions of years later, perhaps finally Hylia's plan is nearing completion with Zelda in Breath of the Wild?

I think there is a slight possibility I might be onto something, considering that Goddess Statues made a comeback, and it seems that some portion of Hylia's consciousness still lives on. The creation of Breath of the Wild was largely impacted by Skyward Sword's successes and failures, and looking back, is perhaps the perfected execution of what Aonuma was wanting to accomplish with Skyward Sword; i.e. his talks during early developments stages of the game where he mentioned making the environment itself a puzzle, and wanting to eliminate linearity. So if Breath of the Wild is the successor of Aonuma's vision for what SS was supposed to be, maybe it is also the continuation of the one plot point that always felt like there was something missing?

I'd love to really dig deeper into this in an editorial format, but for now I'm sharing the thought as it came to me, and I'm interested to hear some input!

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
I always thought it was implied that other Zeldas used the Triforce. Specifically, after Zelda II, the royal family is in possession of the entire Triforce. It really depends on whether or not you consider them reincarnations of Hylia, though.
But you’re right, this is the only other time I can think of where Zelda wields the full Triforce, and it’s not even implicitly stated, so who knows.
Do you think that BOTW Zelda has the whole Triforce? It doesn't seem very powerful. Or maybe this is because the royal family has had it so long that it’s not known as the Triforce, instead, just a hereditary power. I guess that’s why it had to awaken, though the love thing seemed kind of out of the blue. I guess she did put herself in stasis for 100 years sealing Ganon, and that’s no small feat.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I always thought it was implied that other Zeldas used the Triforce. Specifically, after Zelda II, the royal family is in possession of the entire Triforce. It really depends on whether or not you consider them reincarnations of Hylia, though.
But you’re right, this is the only other time I can think of where Zelda wields the full Triforce, and it’s not even implicitly stated, so who knows.
Do you think that BOTW Zelda has the whole Triforce? It doesn't seem very powerful. Or maybe this is because the royal family has had it so long that it’s not known as the Triforce, instead, just a hereditary power. I guess that’s why it had to awaken, though the love thing seemed kind of out of the blue. I guess she did put herself in stasis for 100 years sealing Ganon, and that’s no small feat.
According to Zelda II, the Royal Family would occassionally make a wish with the Triforce, it wasn't that they actually had someone who was weilding all of it's power. In BotW, it looks like Zelda does have the full Triforce, but she doesn't realize the nature of it's full power, or even what the power really is. So yes, I'd say it is weak because what the power is has been lost to history.

TheTrueHero

The Skeleton of Judgement
According to Zelda II, the Royal Family would occassionally make a wish with the Triforce, it wasn't that they actually had someone who was weilding all of it's power. In BotW, it looks like Zelda does have the full Triforce, but she doesn't realize the nature of it's full power, or even what the power really is. So yes, I'd say it is weak because what the power is has been lost to history.

While what you said is true, Zelda in Botw did realize her power and has been using to fight Ganon for 100 years, so to keep him off for that long definetly means that the triforce still has an abundance of power, given how powerful ganon can be. The triforce, at least I think, doesn’t lose power even if people forget about it. This leads me to believe that maybe, just maybe, she might not have the FULL triforce. If she did, Ganon would be looong gone. It‘s further supported by the fact that calamity Ganon seems to be pretty easy to defeat, and dark beast Ganon rarely even attacks you. He is ultimately weaked fighting the triforce for so long, but the full triforce has unimaginable power. It even has the power to grant wishes, so they should have just wished Ganon gone right?

Of course I’m pretty new to this whole theorizing thing, so maybe not
But then again, who knows

I think spirit orbs are pieces of the triforce.
First this is supported by the fact they they are heavily protected by monks and hard trials that can only be accessed by the Hero, so the Sheikah went to great lengths to protect it. and one you get a certain amount, you can increase your life force or your energy straight up, which basically means you make your being as a whole surpass the physical and spiritual energy of normal humans more and more. Sounds like something a powerful relic created by goddesess would do. Link isn’t normal by a mile. He has the ability to slow down time(which is a whole other can of worms) and he is capable of being a vessel for supernatural powers held by the Champions, which I think nobody else could handle. Seriously just walking in on a whole bunch of monsters and making lighting appear out of nowhere killing them.
Secondly, Link can climb whole mountains in one go, that isn’t normal either. He can survive the sword strike of a Silver LYNEL(Given he has enough hearts), all because he is the only one who can get these pieces of the triforce, and use what power they have left in them to push himself above the limits of what humans should be. And this also explains why you need 4 spirit orbs to increase anything, because as powerful as the triforce is, it needs more pieces to come together to properly function.
In conclusion, to keep the triforce away from Ganon, or whatever the reason was, the Shiekah split the part of the triforce that Zelda didn’t have, and guarded them with elaborate puzzles and hard trials of combat.

*PHEWWWWWWW*

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
While what you said is true, Zelda in Botw did realize her power and has been using to fight Ganon for 100 years, so to keep him off for that long definetly means that the triforce still has an abundance of power, given how powerful ganon can be. The triforce, at least I think, doesn’t lose power even if people forget about it. This leads me to believe that maybe, just maybe, she might not have the FULL triforce. If she did, Ganon would be looong gone. It‘s further supported by the fact that calamity Ganon seems to be pretty easy to defeat, and dark beast Ganon rarely even attacks you. He is ultimately weaked fighting the triforce for so long, but the full triforce has unimaginable power. It even has the power to grant wishes, so they should have just wished Ganon gone right?
That's my whole point, the full potential of the Triforce is the ability to make any wish you want. But if you don't know you have the Triforce to begin with, or that it can grant wishes, you can't use it in that manner.

I think spirit orbs are pieces of the triforce.
First this is supported by the fact they they are heavily protected by monks and hard trials that can only be accessed by the Hero, so the Sheikah went to great lengths to protect it. and one you get a certain amount, you can increase your life force or your energy straight up, which basically means you make your being as a whole surpass the physical and spiritual energy of normal humans more and more. Sounds like something a powerful relic created by goddesess would do. Link isn’t normal by a mile. He has the ability to slow down time(which is a whole other can of worms) and he is capable of being a vessel for supernatural powers held by the Champions, which I think nobody else could handle. Seriously just walking in on a whole bunch of monsters and making lighting appear out of nowhere killing them.
Secondly, Link can climb whole mountains in one go, that isn’t normal either. He can survive the sword strike of a Silver LYNEL(Given he has enough hearts), all because he is the only one who can get these pieces of the triforce, and use what power they have left in them to push himself above the limits of what humans should be. And this also explains why you need 4 spirit orbs to increase anything, because as powerful as the triforce is, it needs more pieces to come together to properly function.
In conclusion, to keep the triforce away from Ganon, or whatever the reason was, the Shiekah split the part of the triforce that Zelda didn’t have, and guarded them with elaborate puzzles and hard trials of combat.

*PHEWWWWWWW*
Spirit Orbs can't be the Triforce, they are solely for the hero to expand his, well, spirit, and gain more hearts or stamina in the process. The Triforce is specifically for granting wishes, and gifted to people who have all the virtues it represents (Power, Wisdom, and Courage). Fragmenting it to be cashed in for more Hearts and Stamina would frankly be a waste.

If this is on the downfall timeline and the Royal family has the entire thing following Zelda II. It makes sense that when you see the complete Triforce at the end she used the whole thing. However, 10,000 years + is a long time though and it could've been lost. Why didn't they use it the first time 10,000 years ago? Anyway in game the question is why couldn't she do that sooner to zap Gannon away. Is it as simple as she didn't know how to wield it because her mother died before she could teach her? Then she got in to deep (literally) and needed help to escape. Hence the Bow of Light. being wielded by Link.

The Triforce is usually weilded by 3. Zelda (Wisdom), Link (Courage), Gannon (Power). That's why you need 2 to overcome 1. Zelda may have been born able to tap into the Wisdom piece. Gannon is constantly reincarnated so he'd have power. Not sure how/when Link would've obtained the Tri-Force in BOTW. Could be why Gannon is coming back in BOTW 2 and you need to find Link's Tri-force to finally defeat him.

Also the Dark Beast & Calamity were made of Malice. Gannon had to have something give him the ability to do that. What was it? Triforce of Power? Based on the trailer it also looks like you didn't actually fight Gannon/dorf. Just his projection. Perhaps in BOTW 2, Zelda learns more about her abilities, and you go on a quest for Link's piece of the Triforce. If that's the case then there was no single user, so it wouldn't be the culmination.

Last edited:

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
If this is on the downfall timeline and the Royal family has the entire thing following Zelda II. It makes sense that when you see the complete Triforce at the end she used the whole thing. However, 10,000 years + is a long time though and it could've been lost. Why didn't they use it the first time 10,000 years ago? Anyway in game the question is why couldn't she do that sooner to zap Gannon away. Is it as simple as she didn't know how to wield it because her mother died before she could teach her? Then she got in to deep (literally) and needed help to escape. Hence the Bow of Light. being wielded by Link.

The Triforce is usually weilded by 3. Zelda (Wisdom), Link (Courage), Gannon (Power). That's why you need 2 to overcome 1. Zelda may have been born able to tap into the Wisdom piece. Gannon is constantly reincarnated so he'd have power. Not sure how/when Link would've obtained the Tri-Force in BOTW. Could be why Gannon is coming back in BOTW 2 and you need to find Link's Tri-force to finally defeat him.

Also the Dark Beast & Calamity were made of Malice. Gannon had to have something give him the ability to do that. What was it? Triforce of Power? Based on the trailer it also looks like you didn't actually fight Gannon/dorf. Just his projection. Perhaps in BOTW 2, Zelda learns more about her abilities, and you go on a quest for Link's piece of the Triforce. If that's the case then there was no single user, so it wouldn't be the culmination.
The natural state of the Triforce isn’t split into three, that only happens when somebody unbalanced touches it. BOTW heavily implies that Zelda has the power of the entire Triforce. You also don’t necessarily need two to overcome one, as Link in ALttP manages to beat Ganon, who has the entire Triforce; ALBW Link defeats YuGanon (Wisdom+Power) with just the Triforce of Courage; and TLoZ Link beats Ganon, each with one Triforce. I think we can safely assume Zelda holds the power of the full Triforce.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom