• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Adventure of Link Is Zelda II:the Adventure of Link Really That Bad?

M

matersword

for one thing it is the second game in the series and for another its hard but people probably say that because they can't beat it
:)

E

evilpwner

I think the reason most people don't like it is because of the side view. I haven't played it, so I don't know personally, but that's what I've heard.

its not my favorite zelda, but is not a bad game, is just different, and the problems are the same as many other NES games:it is really hard, is a problem because so many player would quit, and continue from the nort palace every 3 lifes is a little annoying

I just play this game because its zelda, but I found that is a very good game :) (but the dificulty gave me nightmares D:)

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I don't think it is necessarily a bad game, just a hard and frustrating game. Too much for me, I can't handle it, I can't get that far in the game.

M

matersword

hey ive gotten to the great palace.it just takes practice. here is some advice, just keep trying if it gets to the piont that you are about to throw the controller at the wall just put the game down for a while and try again later

just buy it on the wii shop channel for 1000 points

Swordbomb

Doktor Assisted Homicide
never played it but by the loooks of it it is not bad just different just like oni cucco said

David

But you called me here...
The game is not bad at all. People stereotype it due to the fact that its different. The game implements a sidescroll which can be hard to get used to in a Zelda game. I personally think that they did a good job with the sidescrolling in the game. It was successful, but I'm glad they discontinued it. Another aspect of the game that makes it "bad" is the difficulty level. The game designers made the game extremely difficult. It is near impossible to not die. Even experienced players at the game still die a lot. It is extremely challenging. But all in all, the game is a great game that challenges everyone.

P

Pharaoh

AoL was the first Zelda I ever played, almost 20 years ago. I just played it again this week, and it was lots of fun, very frustrating, but ultimately very rewarding to finish. I personally love the side view fighting. Very big game and popular game of that time...just looking back, its seems different from what Zelda became...but then, no one knew which direction it would go.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Well for one, I think it's the most underrated video game ever. It's my 7th favorite on my list. It was a great game. If you have the patience to walk FOREVER back to where you were if you died, or just the skills to not die, it's actually a very good game. Plus, being the second game, it wasn't weird to be an RPG style when there was only two. Then they started going back to the normal style, but still...

dumb180

Warrior Postman
AoL ranks about fifth on my Zelda favorites list, so I'd submit that it is in fact that good.

AoL's overworld leaves a little to be wanted, in terms of both secrets and fast navigation. Other than those two tidbits, I like everything about AoL. The leveling system works pretty well, and makes the game worth playing more than once. I personally like to experiment with strategies every now and then. The bosses are for the most part very cool; I'd go as far to say that many are better than the ones in LoZ. Gooma, Barba, and Dark Link are just all kinds of cool.

And another thing. The music in this game just rocks. All good Zelda games have amazing soundtracks, and AoL is no exception. The dungeon theme, the battle theme, and the Great Palace theme.. even the opening theme.

As someone who grew up on the NES, I tend to think of AoL's graphical closeup of Link as groundbreaking picture quality, but would understand if anyone disagreed. :P But to answer your question: No, Zelda II: The Adventure of Link is not that bad.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
James Rolfe's review of Adventures of Link.

Warning. Contains strong language and infantile humor. But his main point stands. A hard game isn't bad in itself. But it's the sudden jump in difficulty after the first level - combined with a shortage of extra-lives and the fact that you always have to start from the temple that turns Nintendo hard into a frustration marathon. Add to that logic-defying puzzles where you just need a walkthrough, and suddenly, it gets a lot worse than you might think. And there's one other thing to put into account: The other Zelda games are different. Other Zelda games let you start from the beginning of a dungeon as often as you want. Other games give you all the information you need to solve a puzzle. So while I wouldn't call it a bad game, it sure is the least good of the Zelda games.

Not really no.

Though, it hasn't age that well either. The gameplay for example, really makes it appearant that it's made in the 80's. The difficulty curve is inconsistent, there's a hefty amount of grinding required and at times the game can be very vague, to the point where it's almost impossible without a walkthrough.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It isn't bad, it's just insanely hard. I still haven't beaten the Midoro Palace (I think it was called that, it was the 3rd palace).

Ganondork

goo
I am not very good at AoL. I get to the first town, move down a bit, then dead. I can't get used to the side fighting, if it was like the original, Iwould appreciate the game more, but I just end up grinding my teeth muttering "dammit" because I can't even get the 1st weapon.

Kybyrian

Adventure of Link is disliked so much by some gamers because they are used to the modern games and other types of Zelda games altogether. Adventure of Link was like no other Zelda game in the fact that it was side-scrolling. No Zelda game since then or before then was side-scroller except for some small parts in games like Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons, and Oracle of Ages. Adventure of Link is different, and it's also very hard. Both of these contribute to why most gamers tend to dislike the game. Most people who pick up the game don't even have the decency to finish it, and some people don't even have the ability and skill to finish it because of the difficulty. That may make some people appreciate it a little less, but it doesn't necessarily make it a bad game.

Adventure of Link had high points to it, and I believe one of the greatest ones was the magic spells. The spells were a great idea, and they worked awesomely in the game. There are other things to the game that made it a bit better, but it's been so long since I've played the game, and I have never replayed it once. I do know that the game wasn't horrible, though. People don't give it as much credit as I feel it deserves. It being a Zelda game already makes it 100% better than games from other series, so it's certainly not a bad game. Whether it was a bad Zelda game or not, though, is up to debate. I feel it was no worse than some of the Zelda games we've been getting recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom