• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Zelda Getting Old?

As we all know, 2011 marks the 25th anniversary of The Legend of Zelda.
Since the day of SNES, or more specifically, since A Link to the Past, the series has become one of Nintendo's leading franchise and a gold standard for action games. Zelda Magnum opus- Ocarina of Time, is considered the greatest game ever made and Majora's Mask was a dark masterpiece.
But a long time has passed since the happy simple days of the SNES and N64, the gaming industry has moved forward at a neakbreaking paced. Wind Waker still managed to be an amazing game, at the top of it's system and maybe evan it's generation, but it just wasn't the same. with Twilight Princess it had seemed that Zelda was running out of creativity, and the game desperately trying to recreate moments from Zelda's past. with the release of the WII the generational gap between Nintendo's games and the rest of the industry. while other game franchise like Metal Gear and Final Fantasy where advancing froward in therms of content and modernism, Zelda was left behind. the DS games are arguably the worst in the series. Again, they where good, but they defiantly weren't as great as the rest. the formula wasn't as amazing and effective as before, and many people thought it needed to change
And now with the arrival of Skyward Sword, many critic and fans are stating that the game feels old. Skyward is currently the lowest rated Zelda games. It desperately trying to get the attention of the gaming community( other then Nintendo fans) and left at the dust of games Like Skyrim and Arkham City. 2011 is most likely the first year since the release of Ocarina of Time that a major consul Zelda game is not the game of the year, or evan the hight scoring game. Skyward is an underdog amongst modern giant franchises like The Elder Scrolls. Zelda defiantly doesn't have the impact it used to have on the industry.
So all of this bring to question: Is Zelda not as important is it used to be? Is it not not the golden standard for action games anymore? does the gaming masses evan care abut Zelda?(non- Nintendo fans), Is Zelda irrelevant?
Is it true that after 25 years, Zelda is finally getting old?

When i first asked myself these questions, my inside fanboy screamed:"hell no!!" but then i started to think not as a Zelda fan, but as a gamer in general, and sadly, it seemed that there since Wind Waker, the franchise is in a slow down hill. That's not to say the games aren't great, they are, but they are less important to the industry, and the series is not the golden standard it used to be.
So I beg you, don't ask yourself this question as a Zelda fan, ask it as a gamer in general.
What do you think?

LnktheWolf

The Sacred Wolf of Legend
Zelda is not irrelevant, SS has gotten a perfect score from famitsu, IGN, and even GameInformer. All the other reviewers gave SS a great score except gamespot, so I think SS is doing just fine, and there is talk of it being the game of the year.

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
with Twilight Princess it had seemed that Zelda was running out of creativity, and the game desperately trying to recreate moments from Zelda's past.
How was TP uncreative? It was completely original, just like every Zelda game is.

Skyward is currently the lowest rated Zelda games.
But a whole bunch of reviews gave it a perfect or at least good score, so how is it the lowest rated?

It desperately trying to get the attention of the gaming community( other then Nintendo fans) and left at the dust of games Like Skyrim and Arkham City. 2011 is most likely the first year since the release of Ocarina of Time that a major consul Zelda game is not the game of the year, or evan the hight scoring game.
Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't aware that Game of the Year was even announced yet. So who won?

Is it getting old? In age, yes. And yes, it isn't exactly considered "modern" by most people. But in the end, does that really matter? If those Xbox fanboys don't like it, they don't have to play it. It's their loss for not looking past how "modern" a game is and not looking more at how good the game is. They don't even give it a chance just because it's not as "modern" and for that, I feel very sorry for them.

Djinn

and Tonic
It could be argued that Zelda is indeed an aging series, this is evident by it containing so many longstanding traditions that go right back to the original games in the 80's. The adherence to certain old styled conventions like the developers preferring gameplay over story, and the series still lacking voice acting does make it appear that Zelda is just another game that is far past it's prime and refuses to evolve. Even the graphics are not on par with current games, it seems thyat Nintendo is not even concerned with making any Zelda a high powered HD experience to look at. Because of this it does stand out as different or even simple when compared to other popular RPG or fantasy games.

However something could be said about sales numbers and reviews. Regardless of its age and lack of evolution, Zelda still maintains a top spot in the video game industry. People still buy the sequels and reviewers still give them high marks. So something could be said for people continuing to love the series regardless of the lack of modernization. Of course it cannot be strictly nostalgia from old time fans who "remember the good ol' days" as that would not drive up sales numbers. It might make for a lot of reviews, but not sales. Clearly younger players who are newer to the series are buying the games as well. So then it could be argued that Zelda is not at all past its prime.

Yes it is an old series, and yes it does lack a lot of the power of other more modern games that are around. But it is still one of the top selling series today. So what we might be seeing is a serries that has a gigantic amount of history and evolution behind it. Nintendo still wants new sequels to be a traditional Zelda game that contains everything fans have loved over the years. But still make it a new experience for players. It is not so much hindered by a need to remain traditional, but I sincerely doubt Nintendo will just outright make a Zelda game that is a Elder Scrolls clone. That is not at all what the series is built upon, Zelda has a history to build upon. Newer games have nothing like that at all so they rely on flash and amazement to instantly grab gamer's attention. Sometimes these newer games do not keep that attention at all after they have achieved it. Sometimes they disappear into the pool of forgotten titles within six months and no one ever gives it a second thought. Waiting for the very next flashy title to come along. Just say the name Zelda and most players will know exactly what you are talking about. Many other games you might need to explain to a few of them what you mean.

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
... You're kidding right? I'm sorry, but that is just completely false. Twilight Princess is arguably one of the most uncreative Zelda game, and no Zelda game has been completely original since A Link to the Past, and ALttP can't even be considered completely original. You are entitled to your opinion, but please know it goes against facts.

Ok, let me rephrase that. It was original as far as story-line goes. Sorry I didn't make my opinion clear.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I'd say it was just about to get to that point...until Skyward Sword. Skyward Sword has changed everything about what Zelda is, yet it's kept the same core aspects of what makes a Zelda game unique, making it the perfect mix of new and classic material. Skyward Sword has single-handedly reminded the world why Zelda has retained the title of the most iconic series in gaming history. Long may it continue.

Last edited:

seahawk1

Guardian of Koholint
If they kept kirby,(no offence kirby fans) nintendo is keeping zelda. It may be an old series, it's a hell of a good one!

Majora's Cat

How about that
To say that Zelda is irrelevant is like saying that other historic and successful franchises are just as or even more irrelevant. I think that the general idea that Zelda is falling into obscurity is because there are rarely new original releases. But one has to keep in mind that whenever a Zelda game is set to be released, the hype surrounding it is ridiculous.

Getting back to my point about other franchises being considered equally irrelevant is you are to say Zelda is such, just look at the Mario series. Many critics claim that Zelda is the greatest series of all time, while at the same time many also consider that title to be in Mario’s possession. I would say that it’s blasphemous to say that Mario is slowly fading from the spotlight, especially since Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2 have both sold millions of units and are (respectively) the second and third highest ranked games on most aggregate review score sites.

Now speaking in literal terms, Zelda is pretty old. But is it getting old? Hell no. Anyone can tell you that. While it seems as if most gamers like to focus their attention on first-person shooter games and violent creations for both the Xbox 360 and PS3, there is also an equally large gaming community that loves Nintendo games. We are a fraction of this gaming community. It is also common opinion that Nintendo Wii games tend to be of much lower quality than Xbox and PS3 games on average, and that can be considered mostly true by critic scores and the lack of attention in the direction of generic Wii games.

However, this does not mean that Zelda games are seen in the same light as most Wii games. Not at all. The Legend of Zelda is one of Nintendo’s true franchises. By that I mean that Nintendo isn’t just trying to make a quick buck - they are always attempting to craft a masterpiece when they develop a Zelda game. And after all, Zelda has one of the biggest fanbases in the online gaming community, and that’s saying a lot.

With the impending release of Skyward Sword, Zelda is in the spotlight more than ever. Even weeks before the game’s nearing release, pirated copies of the game are on Wii consoles everywhere, and videos of the final boss being fought are already up. Never have I seen such eagerness to play a video game.

Mastik said:
Skyward is currently the lowest rated Zelda games. It desperately trying to get the attention of the gaming community( other then Nintendo fans) and left at the dust of games Like Skyrim and Arkham City.

What are you talking about? Skyward Sword has a solid 95 on Metacritic and around a 94% on GameRankings. It is currently the fourth highest-rated Zelda game of all time, which is far from the lowest-rated. I don’t know where you got the idea that SS is a critical failure. Also, Skyward Sword currently has a highest rating than Arkham City. And considering that the new Batman game is only the second game in this series, it’s definitely a stretch to assume that it’ll beat out SS and Skyrim for Game of the Year. I would say that it’s a close battle between the new Zelda and Skyrim, but The Legend of Zelda’s reputation (in comparison to The Elder Scrolls’) will probably float SS by on this award.

JuicieJ said:
Skyward Sword has single-handedly reminded the world why Zelda has retained the title of the most iconic series in gaming history. Long may it continue.

My thoughts exactly. In contrast to how I’ve esteemed critics’ opinions in my earlier words, it’s also true that your own opinion matters. I’ve taken a good look at SS’ specs, and the game looks to be top-notch. Everything from the orchestrated music to the true 1:1 swordplay is spectacular. What’s more, Skyward Sword’s swordplay is another innovative feature. In a sense, what the game is doing with its strategic motion controls is picking up where Ocarina of Time left off with the lock-on feature - by being a golden standard in gameplay for generations of games to come.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I wouldn't say Zelda's gameplay is getting old though it is true the series is aging...but I would say the story is getting old. Essentially what we get is the same ol' stuff: Peaceful beginning, plot twist, save the damsel, beat the final boss, engraved as a hero through speculated ending. If Nintendo could implement some new side stories a la Majora's Mask, such as romance between Link and another character (Skyward Sword had so many chances to do this), I would say that Zelda is far from aging physically. I really don't care about graphics, as they don't matter much. Really, I just want new story elements, relatively new compared to what the series has. I don't think it's possible to have truly original content in this day and age; everything has been used up.

MegaTallica

NintendoThrasher
I really don't see where Zelda is trending downward. Wind Waker was a great game, but as far as I'm concerned Twilight Princess was just as great. TP was a new style to the series just like WW.

Skyward sword is the lowest rated 3d Zelda game. It's true.
And if you didn't notice, a lot more people where hyped abut skyrim then SS. we are Zelda fans, so naturlly we are super hyped for SS, but the rest of the industry wasn't
Zelda is getting old because Evan after 25 years, it's still based around the same story alements and old disagin philisopis. Today action advature games needs an igrusing original story, fast pacing and a lot of optional content. I'm not talking abut hero mod.

And if you didn't notice, a lot more people where hyped abut skyrim then SS. we are Zelda fans, so naturlly we are super hyped for SS, but the rest of the industry wasn't
Zelda is getting old because Evan after 25 years, it's still based around the same story alements and old disagin philisopis. Today action advature games needs an igrusing original story, fast pacing and a lot of optional content. I'm not talking abut hero mod.

Skyward Sword has a 95 on Metacritic putting it in line with Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess. In addition, Majora's Mask is the lowest rated 3D Zelda according to Gamerankings.

Faedeur

The Juror of Courage
As a video game series, yes, it is getting old. Most game series haven't even lasted 10 years, while Zelda has lasted 25.

In terms of getting tiring, I don't believe so. Each game brings something new, some new elements to the series as a whole. Some are scrapped, others move on into other games. I wouldn't doubt it if we still get creative and entertaining Zelda games for the next decade or so.

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
Seriously man, there's a spell-check on you're CP right? Learn to use it.
1. Where did you hear that? Gamespot?
2. Yeah, that's cuz most gamers these days are Xbox fans. So of course Skyrim is gonna get more people excited. I'm sure a lot of them haven't even heard of Skyward Sword.
3. OK, you need to re-write this part before I can even understand what you're trying to say. And Evan is a name, I believe you meant 'even'. Unless if you're saying that Evan is 25 years old and is still based around the same story alements and old disagin philisopis.

Believe me, I also worry about this sometimes, but you're reasons are either not very good or false. Also, it's not so much a matter of it aging, it's a matter of that it's becoming less popular with today's first-person-shooters hype.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom