• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Xeerneas a New Type?

Are you surprised? I'm pretty sure there's already a Pokemon that changes its type depending on certain items its holding or if it's holding one.

No. And yes, there are already several Pokémon that have this, Arceus - the one I mentioned - being among them.

toonlink

Most Active Inactive User
I think that Light type might work, though this is mostly because I saw how those beams of light seemed emphasised. I don't see why not, but I still don't see why. There could be plenty other types Xerneas could fit for.

I don't really want the game to have a new type, I think that there is a pretty good amount as it is. They all mix fairly well, although I wouldn't mind it if they made some of the types more usable by giving them a little boost in the next generation, but that won't happen. As someone said about Palkia, it never looked like a Water-type, so appearances are usually not very helpful. It took me longer than it should have to realise that Palkia was a Water/Dragon type pokemon. On that alone I doubt that there will be a new type in the game.

Why would a Light type break the game? They could make it work with alittle focus and testing.

Light

Strong vs

Dark,Ice,Light,Ghost and Water

Weak vs

Light,Normal,Steel,Ground and Rock

If I was going to introduce a Light-type into the game, I'd make it strong and weak against the Dark-type and not itself. I don't really see why it would be strong and weak against itself but then again I never saw the connection with the Ghost-type being like that. I think that it could fit into the game and not break it but it's very unlikely that they would find the right balance. As Xinnamin said, they would flood the next gen with a large amount of Light-types which would make the game boring and would probably break the entire competitive side as a whole.

I agree that it would be a bad idea overall, but given how Steel and Dark moves weren't insanely prevalent in Gen II (and given how Dark moves STILL aren't very prevalent), I doubt an over-representation of any kind would happen.

This is a good counter to Xinnamin's argument though, but that suggests that there would be a rather large lack of them and as it's take so long to get the amount of Dark-types there are now, it would take forever to get a decent amount of Light-types.

Last edited:

Chameleon

Down for maintenance.
I really do hope they make it a new type. It would really open up the series a lot.

Fig

The Altruist
It is possible for Xerneas to be a Light Type Pokémon due to the way it acts and moves. If Light does become the new Type of Pokémon, Nintendo and GameFreak must really focus on the balance for the Type. I'm all for a new Type in Pokémon, what I do expect is a great development plot for it to work.

Chameleon

Down for maintenance.
Light type Pokemon should've been invented long ago. They need to introduce new types!

BlitzPlum

That 3D Guy
I think introducing new types is fine as long as they're decent and fit in well. Types like Steel were new and blended well with the series. I don't like the sound of Fairy type for Sylveon, but Light sounds cool!

C

ChinchillaBau5

Light-sounds good (excuse the pun) but a Fairy type, nah Game Freak...you needn't try appeal to girls as a target market, I think girls are fine with the way Pokemon is set up as it is.

Light-type...
suicide.gif

Anyway, Xerneas, as per the myth of the Ceryneian Hind on which it may have been based, may be Ice/Grass-type. The Ceryneian Hind, a creature described to have "golden antlers like a stag and hooves of bronze or brass," is believed to have inhabited the "hyperborea", a region characterized by its cold climate. Said region is often associated with Boreas, god of the north wind; the north wind itself correlates with cold and ice. On a slightly off-topic note, akin to the myth, Xerneas is probably almost invariably female.

While Ice-type is not a certainty, a partial/dual Grass typing is almost a given, at the very least.

(source)

(Further reading)

RichardBlaziken

Mr. Blaziken
Would cause havoc for the competitive field, as well as general confusion for the core pokemon player population. Inclusion this late in the series would cause for major type unbalance, likely either encouraging an over-representation of the new type in the 6th gen pokemon and moves (bad gameplay balance) or retconning of old pokemon to include the new type (HORRIBLE idea, havoc and confusion ensue). Saying it would break the game is kinda bad wording, but it would still be an awful idea for a series this established imo.

As far as Xerneas is concerned, it's not unthinkable that its appearance does not immediately give off its type. For example, I would have NEVER pinned Palkia as a water type. There's no need to make a Light type just so it would fit appearance-wise.

As a competitive battler who has been in the series since the beginning, and has been battling competitively since 3rd gen, a new type is absolutely necessary. Fairy would be great if it resisted Dragon, which it should. Fairy should also resist Fire, which would make Dragons far less broken, and sort of balance out the somewhat popular and effective "4Drag2Mag" strategy that people employ to steamroll the competition with 4 Dragon types and using Magnezone and Magneton to trap and kill opposing Steel types that resist it. The current metagame needs a lot of new things to balance it out, and the competitive community will not break down over the introduction of a new type. I think most of us would welcome it.

That being said, I believe Fairy will be the new type revealed this generation, and I am all for it. Xerneas looks the part to be a Fairy type legendary as well. Grass/Fairy for Xerneas and Flying/Dark for Yvetal would work, assuming Fairy is Super-Effective on Dark, as it would balance the two of them and give them each a weakness to one of the other's types.

Hmmmm... it's looks sort of like the venison type... it's weak against the hungry-type pokemon.

Context suggests that you were joking here (lol). However, could Yveltal fill the role of implied predator...er "hungry-type"? (Rhetorical question)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom