• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Ww Intended for Children???

L

linebeck

ww is my favorite zelda game and Its super easy. I can beat ganon very easily. this makes
my question. It has very colorful pictures and it is childish. Its such a change from mm which is so dark.
maybe they were trying to make up for mm darkness

K

KokiriShroom

It's intended for Zelda fans. :) And I think that they were just trying to experiment with a new style of graphics, or just try something new.^^

Kybyrian

I don't think The Wind Waker was aimed too much at kids. I think it was to try to appeal to a wider audience, maybe, but not cater to only kids. The Toon Link style may have just be to try something a little new, even. The Wind Waker was a fantastic game. It may have been a bit easy, but then again, most of the recent Zelda games are easy, which is really disappointing. The Wind Waker has a cartoon-ish feel to it, but that doesn't mean it was just aimed at kids. I'm sure many of the older Zelda fans thoroughly enjoyed the game simply because it was good. Nintendo knows that a good Zelda fan will play the games no matter what, so there's no problem with maybe making it a bit easier and lightening up the graphics to appeal to a wider audience. The Wind Waker's style was a great one.

David

But you called me here...
From what I've read, Wind Waker was aimed at all audiences. The graphics style was a new test that was aimed at a younger audience. However, the graphics style was used because of the water. The developers felt that if the water was clear, the people on the islands (hypothetically) would think, "hey! What's that down there?" And it would have been way too hard to make it realistic. Real water changes colors at certain depths, people would wonder why they couldn't see fish, the octorocs and other enemies would be able to be seen, they might have made Link have to dive to retrieve things, and a few other reasons. I feel that it was also used to bring Zelda back to its roots. When I think of the first Zeldas, I imagine a cartooney world where anything is possible. Not a super realistic world like the one I live in right now. (Which is also why I think they chose a similar style for SS and not the more realistic approach that TP took.)

Now, some of the aspects were aimed for an older audience. From what I've read, the puzzles and exploration were aimed toward the older audience. They hoped that the older audience would buy it for the puzzles. But as its turned out, many people think that the puzzles and enemies were way too easy (when I first played it, i actually thought it was pretty hard, but over the years, its gotten easier.) The exploration has always been my favorite part. There is so much to do in that game due to the exploration. Its kinda exciting when you find a new island that you've never visited or never completed.

So, all-in-all, the game was intended for a wider audience than just children. The game is a great game that adults that I know love.

Ganondork

goo
I'm pretty sure that it was meant for all audiences. Perhaps they simply wanted to experiment and see how fans would look at it and how they would respond.

dumb180

Warrior Postman
I'm playing through it for the first time right now, and I'll say... those must be some smart kids! Some of these dungeon puzzles are pretty challenging. They're certainly reaching out to children with graphical style and some of the game's characters, but I think it's intended to be a fun ride for everyone. I suspect they did make the enemies a little more forgiving due to that 'reach out', though that's just speculation.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
WW was ridiculously easy for me as well. So I think yes, it was aimed at a younger age group than say, OoT or MM. The brighter colors also appeals to younger kids. The story, however, is still pretty dark, like how Ganondorf kills the Sages.

All Zelda games are designed with a younger audience in mind, as most Nintendo games are. Wind Waker didn't seem to me as much of a children's game as, say, the Mario series. I don't think easy automatically means "for children," though. Easy tends to point to a more casual game. (Explains why I, a horrible gamer, love it.) Wind Waker was more lighthearted than past games, and I think that's what makes it a game that leans towards the younger side of the fandom rather than the difficulty level.

In any case, no Zelda game really has an intended audience. They're designed with all age groups in mind. And that's why Nintendo is such a successful company.

M

MountainTroll

i see windwaker as no real difference from the first few zelda games, and a all the portables. it seems like they were just making classic zelda games with more technology. i felt it was easy, but i liked that. i was so sick of mm, that an easier game was just what i needed. feeling the fact of progress much more. i felt it was just as adult as any other zelda, it was just more lighthearted.

G

Gaspra

I think another aspect to consider is that they wanted to portray the world as Link at that age sees it, not as TP Link who is quite a bit older and more experienced, but a sort of unrealistic but innocent wonder.

Wind Waker I've come to realize is aimed at much more of audience than I thought it used to be. At first it seems like a game that's aimed only at children, through its graphics, its characters, its neat little explosions, but behind the game is a lot more, the storyline, the deaths. At first it's a happy little adventure that everyone loves, you get to sail an open ocean with almost no restrictions, but by the end of the game you have Sages dieing, characters dieing, Ganondorf's epic speeches, and a dead Hyrule.

So, in a lot of ways, it's aimed at children, in a lot of ways, it's aimed at adults, but combined, it's aimed at both.

B

boomerang

I like it because its different. The variety of the series makes it good!

I think its for everyone as already stated. But as for it being for kids more so than others, I don't know but if it isn't then there's some bizarre tips in the beginning like "don't stay up all night playing" ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom