• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is using passwords cheating?

I mean on the old games, where there is no save system, but instead you use passwords to continue from that level. For example, that Indiana Jones game for the snes.

If you legitimately clear that level, and "earn" the password as such, then is using that password after a game over cheating?

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
No, that's the point of passwords. They were used because save functionalities weren't a thing yet. As Mark was alluding to, it's only cheating if you think that saving is cheating.

If you're doing some sort of challenge with your playthrough that strictly prohibits using passwords/saving/checkpoints, then it would be considered cheating, I guess. Depending on the challenge parameters, some gamers set rules for no saving because it presents an additional factor of difficulty. Streamers who race against each other to complete certain objectives set these sorts of rules all the time. But for leisurely play, there's nothing wrong with it. The game provides you with passwords for convenience; it's not cheating if you use something that the game grants you, and is intended for the player to use by the developers.

I mean on the old games, where there is no save system, but instead you use passwords to continue from that level. For example, that Indiana Jones game for the snes.

If you legitimately clear that level, and "earn" the password as such, then is using that password after a game over cheating?
Back in the day no one cared about this. Either you had fun with the game or you did not, that's all that mattered.

Also in many games it was possible ro reverse engineer the password systems to earn weapons early or be in a state not possible through normal play. All done for fun.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
No, it's not cheating when you earned it before a game over. In Super Paper Mario there is this level when you have to earn so many of this -what was it again- "money" to pay for the vaze you broke. During game you'll get a code you'll have to enter to open the safe and you get the right amount. I wrote down that code right away so I wouldn't have to do it all over again to get the money.
It's not cheating when you enter an earned password. It's cheating if you use it right away without even playing the level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom