• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

IS THERE A SPLIT TIMELINE OR NOT?

iMadMax

Zelda Masta
Recently Mr. Aonuma did an interview with GT TV talking about Skyward Sword. During that interview he mentionned that " All of the games are within ONE timeline" (you can watch the interview here http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/138 it is at the 9:15 mark). This screws up the entire split timeline theories and in my opinion it doesnt make senher is only one timeline. Maybe the timeline will be clearer after weve played SS but until that. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
You've misunderstood. He's not saying the games all happen on one timeline at all. He's saying there is a timeline but that timeline is a secret.

I think that Aonuma was merely saying that all games happen within the same "continuity". If one wants to use it as evidence, it might be used against the Legends theory, but it's definitely not conclusive.

Nevertheless, we must not forget that Aonuma has not said that the games happen on two "timelines", but that he has talked about OoT having two parallel "endings". It's technically one timeline, but it diverges after OoT.

/Blue Window

The ONE timeline can be a split timeline. What this interview does suggest is that the games are not split into multiple timelines which do not connect as many people argue that the four swords series is in its own separate timeline unconnected to the rest of the games.

Twilit Archon

We Burn... Burn With Us.
Speaking of four swords, If it weren't for Hyrule not existing yet in SS, I would say that the Four Sword becomes the master sword. I don't know how to use the spoiler tag, so I won't give my precise reasoning, but let's just say that Girahim extensively reminds me of Vaati, especially with being an extremely accomplished mage and sword fighter.

As for the split timeline, I firmly believe that the timeline is split. IF he is saying otherwise, then he is retconning. In game evidence really points to a split IMHO.

Last edited:
Z

Zora_Waterfall

I would say that the Four Sword becomes the master sword

Unfortunately, the Master Sword appears in FS Anniversary edition.

B

BrandonBrownson

Truthfully, the makers of the Zelda games have gone back and fourth on the timeline issue. There have been people who have said that there IS a split time line, there have been people that say there isn't. Clearly, the makers and Nintendo aren't going to tell us, so for the time being, we have to continue our debate lol. I'm not going to read too much into these statements, because I've heard statements that contradict it.

Adam

Undefeated
there is no way to know for sure if there is a split timeline or not. do NOT listen to 'official' statements until Miyamoto shows us his special document. develop a theory on your own. its more fun then asking other people for answers :)

I've always thought the split was confirmed multiple times. Are you sure Miyamoto-san was not referring to the [proposed?] official timeline document of which there IS one [which Miyamoto-san keeps top secret]?

Frankly, I am too lazy to click the link you provided, but I might view it at a later time. :yes:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
there is no way to know for sure if there is a split timeline or not.

Eiji Aonuma: Ocarina of Time basically has two endings of sorts; one has Link as a child and the other has him as an adult. This game, The Wind Waker, takes place a hundred years after the adult Link defeats Ganon at the end of Ocarina.

Nintendo Dream: When does Twilight Princess take place?

Eiji Aonuma: In the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years later.

Nintendo Dream: And the Wind Waker?

Eiji Aonuma: The Wind Waker is parallel. In Ocarina of Time, Link flew seven years in time, he beat Ganon and went back to being a kid, remember? Twilight Princess takes place in the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years after the peace returned to kid Link's time. In the last scene of Ocarina of Time, kids Link and Zelda have a little talk, and as a consequence of that talk, their relationship with Ganon takes a whole new direction.

"Two endings" and "parallel." That's two confirmations of a split timeline. So, yes, there is a way to know if there is a split timeline or not. I know you said don't listen to "official statements," but this is Aonuma. He was a huge part of WW and pretty much made all of TP, so he knows what he's talking about with those games. Plus, he's second-in-command with Zelda. Anything he says is the same as Miyamoto saying it.

I'm fairly certain that Nintendo has settled with a split-time-line for the chronological order of their games. However, I also suspect the the greatly coveted 'top-secret grand time-line' in their possession is a slightly cleaned up version of something they haphazardly jotted out on a bar napkin, complete with Saki stains.

Given Nintendo's history of thinking 'game-play' first, 'story' second; I find it hard to believe that they've spent even a fraction of the time the fan-base has in examining all the in-game minutia to find a suitable order for the games. My suspicion is that if we were able to take a look at their actual time-line, we'd either find that it had some pretty hefty and unsatisfying holes in it, or that it was a slightly tweaked version of the most widely accepted fan made time-line. I also don't see them releasing their time-line to the public in the foreseeable future, as it could possibly create issues for slotting in new games later on. In addition, I believe that Nintendo is well aware of the constant and self sustaining fan-speculation, and that they wisely recognize it as a good thing.

For my part, I hope they never release their time-line, split or otherwise. I don't think I'd be entirely satisfied with their version of the chronology, and most importantly, I'd miss trying to make all the pieces fit.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I'm fairly certain that Nintendo has settled with a split-time-line for the chronological order of their games. However, I also suspect the the greatly coveted 'top-secret grand time-line' in their possession is a slightly cleaned up version of something they haphazardly jotted out on a bar napkin, complete with Saki stains.

Given Nintendo's history of thinking 'game-play' first, 'story' second; I find it hard to believe that they've spent even a fraction of the time the fan-base has in examining all the in-game minutia to find a suitable order for the games. My suspicion is that if we were able to take a look at their actual time-line, we'd either find that it had some pretty hefty and unsatisfying holes in it, or that it was a slightly tweaked version of the most widely accepted fan made time-line. I also don't see them releasing their time-line to the public in the foreseeable future, as it could possibly create issues for slotting in new games later on. In addition, I believe that Nintendo is well aware of the constant and self sustaining fan-speculation, and that they wisely recognize it as a good thing.

For my part, I hope they never release their time-line, split or otherwise. I don't think I'd be entirely satisfied with their version of the chronology, and most importantly, I'd miss trying to make all the pieces fit.

I'm sure they have a general idea of what they're going to do. Skyward Sword was obviously planned out before development. With all the open connections for certain games, I think Nintendo has a pretty good idea of where they're going to go with the canon. Sure, they don't have it pinpointed, but a guideline is almost certain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom