• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic Is There a Separation Line Between Classic and Modern Zelda for You?

I agree with the the Oracles/Wind Waker cut off. I definitely don't think Zelda games have gotten any worse or better overall, but they definitely have a different vibe starting at Wind Waker. Maybe the distinction comes from the stories becoming a little more character based and cinematic. Then again, it might simply be a matter of different graphical styles. Everything before Wind Waker looks a lot more retro to modern eyes than the games that came after.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Seriously, how is WW that big a step from OoT?

- Drastic art style overall (not sure how you could tell that with the majority of Zelda games around OoT's age being 2D.)
- Game world is so many times bigger than OoT.
- Actual focus on the story :O

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
OoT had plenty of story and even sub-plots for a Zelda game.
It was in 3d.

The larger overworld and new artstyle are simply a change of style. Do the confined overworld and less than cartoony artstyle of SS move it back a gen? Does TP's artsyle move it back half a gen? The only real revolutionary change was the 2d-3d shift. Every change other than that is very small or simply artistic. Thus the "gen" system I proposed seems much more accurate and sensible.

Salem

SICK
OoT had plenty of story and even sub-plots for a Zelda game.
It was in 3d.

The larger overworld and new artstyle are simply a change of style. Do the confined overworld and less than cartoony artstyle of SS move it back a gen? Does TP's artsyle move it back half a gen? The only real revolutionary change was the 2d-3d shift. Every change other than that is very small or simply artistic. Thus the "gen" system I proposed seems much more accurate and sensible.
It had less focus on story and cutscenes than other 3d Zelda games.

ProtagonistJake

Shepard
Zelda is Zelda for me.
It's a great series of adventure games, that are known for beating the clock, AKA being timeless.

My Favorites are-

Link to the Past (The most defenitive version of a Zelda and Advenutre game I've ever played)

Majora's Mask (Great and unique gameplay that explores the people more so than the area, with the area surrounded by great atmosphere and mystery)

Wind Waker (Flawed, but greatest sense of adventure I've ever gotten from a Zelda game with it's colorful and engaging world of Islands that are left for you to discover on your own time. Also felt the story was the most engaging with it's personality, subtly, lore, etc.).

All from different generations, and yet I still wouldn't put a separation between them.

If by "classic" and "modern" we mean "how it was at first" and "how it is now," I'd have to say there are several dividing lines. Forced to choose one, I would pick the line between AoL and ALttP. ALttP introduced so many staples to the series: iconic items (Master Sword, hookshot, ocarina); gameplay mechanics (swinging your sword instead of only stabbing, running, collecting heart pieces); and the concept of the parallel world.

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Well basically the only separation is the pixel style. Other than that its all Zelda and it all has the feel of Zelda. Each Zelda game has something others don't and that's just the story and items and all that, nothing that should make them be separated. I've played a variety of Zelda and none of them seem different from what Legend of Zelda is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom