• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is There a Connection Between Zelda and the Goddess?

bunny

birb overlord
The release of Skyward Sword is coming in hot, and there are many speculations concerning the storyline. One of the theories I have put much thought into is Zelda. As we all know, at the beginning of the game, she is not a princess. Well does she become one? Here are my thoughts on this matter.

A spreading rumor is that Zelda herself, is a direct descendant of the goddess. This is a bit of a stretch, but not utterly impossible. I believe that the goddess is not a goddess at all; I believe that she was once mortal, and that the three goddesses placed the Triforce in her care, giving her the abilities she has only after she is chosen by them.

zelda and the lyre.jpg

“Handed down by the gods of old, this power gave its holder the means to make any dream a reality. Such was the might of the ultimate power that the old ones placed in the care of the goddess.”

There is nothing saying that she really is a goddess. It is possible that the Skyloftians think of her as their goddess, solely for saving them from the Demon Tribe.

In the Open Trailer, we see the Goddess holding a lyre, one that looks specifically like the one Zelda possesses. My thought is that the lyre is a family heirloom, and that the goddess left the lyre to a human; a mortal. According to my theory, if the goddess is human, it makes perfect sense that she could have descendants, and the person she left it to is either her child, or spouse.

Lyre.jpg

Another thought, is that Zelda IS the goddess, reincarnated. Every Zelda we have seen up until now, was a Princess, who was the reincarnation of her mother, grandmother, and so on. But, if Zelda is the reincarnation of the goddess, that would have to mean that the goddess died. That is why I believe that after the goddess sent the humans into the sky, when she joined forces with the remaining races, at the end of the battle, she died, making her even more of a hero.

This is all just speculation, and a rough theory. The truth is, we will never know the mysteries of the goddess and Zelda until we get the game and find out for ourselves.

What do you think? Do you have other ideas? Please, feel free to comment below!

bunny

birb overlord
I think the harp is just passed down through Zelda's ancestry as a gift of sorts for protection and for use when the time for Link to start his adventure came.

That is a high possibility as well! I don't know about you, but I am stoked to experience the story of Skyward Sword! :)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Like JJ said, the harp is probably just an gift for protection. However, I don't think it is automatically ruled out that Zelda DOESN'T have a connection with the goddess. While she doesn't carry her exact traits, we do know Zelda to be strong, and I think from this point it is rather obvious that she'll play a huge part in regards to Skyloft and whatever it is the overlords of the 'world below' want, just like the goddess did. I don't have an proof to back that claim up, but as the story is still up in airs for the time being, it isn't impossible.

bunny

birb overlord
Like JJ said, the harp is probably just an gift for protection. However, I don't think it is automatically ruled out that Zelda DOESN'T have a connection with the goddess. While she doesn't carry her exact traits, we do know Zelda to be strong, and I think from this point it is rather obvious that she'll play a huge part in regards to Skyloft and whatever it is the overlords of the 'world below' want, just like the goddess did. I don't have an proof to back that claim up, but as the story is still up in airs for the time being, it isn't impossible.

Yeah... I had a hard time coming up with proof for my theories... I spent a long time watching trailers. xD I'll be honest, I never really thought about the lyre being for protection, that itself is a whole new theory. :D Thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate it. :)

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I think the harp is just passed down through Zelda's ancestry
meaning Zelda is a direct descendant of the Goddess. I agree. I always felt that this "Goddess" was portrayed more as a heroine than a deity. (WW spoiler)
Medli is shown to be descended from Laruto by the same means.

Yes. The harp/lyre, Zelda's role as the goddess in the Bird Riding Ceremony, and Zelda's white dress all seem to foreshadow some deep connection between Zelda and the goddess.

It could be that someone is chosen to hold the harp and will partake in the ritual for the knights of Skyloft. Kind of a blessing from the goddess kind of deal.

Whatever the reason for Zelda playing the part of the goddess in the ceremony, the important thing is that it foreshadows a greater connection.

Indeed, it normally does and I'm more than sure we'll find out that some kind of power from the "goddess" will be found in Zelda and will be a crucial turning point in the game.

HylianPancake

The Pancake Pokemon
*SPOILERS*

So, the Intro states the Goddess rose Skyloft into the sky as well as the absolute power. She enforced seals on the bank of clouds, but also hid the Absolute Power. I believe The Goddess hid the absolute force in Zelda's ancestor, and it was passed down (as well as the Lyre) through the family. She hid it in a human so the Demons would not be able to find it. Sort of like Tetra in TWW.

I think she might be The Goddess' descendant, it would make sense that she passed the absolute power down through her own family.

And if the rumors are true that her name is Hylia, she could very well be the first Hylian, explaining why the Hylians have a connection to the gods. So, she could be a mortal Hylian, and if she was the first of her kind, the Gods of Old could give her the task of protecting the Triforce, and she could've used the Triforce to make herself a deity.

But Tetra only had part of the Triforce while Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule had the other. I don't know about her body hiding the Triforce itself, but as for being a major component of revealing its whereabouts, that could be plausible as well. She could act as some sort of key to the Triforce like the Master Sword was to the Sacred Realm.

S

SkyLoftianLink

From pretty much the majority of all the zelda games, zelda is seen with a sort of holy power. Or with some magical abilities. Since all zelda's are connected by blood and each one has a power, the goddess(like many people have stated above) is probably an anscestor of SS zelda. With the previous zelda's power and services, she could have been praised for her work and thought as a godlike fiure.

bunny

birb overlord
And if the rumors are true that her name is Hylia, she could very well be the first Hylian, explaining why the Hylians have a connection to the gods. So, she could be a mortal Hylian, and if she was the first of her kind, the Gods of Old could give her the task of protecting the Triforce, and she could've used the Triforce to make herself a deity.

Excellent theory! I had never thought about her using the Triforce to make herself a goddess. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Ganon0075

Ganon, King of Douchness.
I believe that Zelda is indeed a descendent of the "Goddess".
My reasons for believing that they are related is because of the lyre.
It would make sense that the "Goddess" would intrust her own family with the lyre to protect it for whatever reason that may be.

I also do not believe that this "Goddess" is actually a god but rather a person who was intrusted with guarding the Triforce.
The people of Skyloft worship her because she saved them from the demon tribe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom