• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is the Split Timeline a Copout?

What do you think about the timeline being split?
Are you happy with the split timeline,or do you think that it was a dumb move on Nintendo's part?

It seems to be that when Nintendo come up with the split timeline(when WW come out it was talked about in a old issue of GamePro),that it was made that way if WW bombed,they could say that timeline was not canon.
Of course we now know that both timelines are canon.
I like the split timeline,but if it's going to be there then I hope that Nintendo will make more use of it in the future.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
I think that the split timeline brings more opportunities for stories that differentiate and I welcome it whole heatedly.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH:)
I totally agree with CwS.
Two Timelines can be used in a way that no game on the series(apart from Spin-offs) are retconned(much like what Iga done with the Castlevania timeline). Example: even though lots of people don't consider the FS series canon, they are canon, and I'm pretty sure they have a place in the timeline, just like any other game(even tingle's rosy rupeeland)

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
they didnt make the split so that if WW did poorly they could just throw it out as canon. the split was technically around since OoT which was made before they had any plans of WW. its hard to make a split for a future game that they dont know about.

S

Seinfeld

The split timeline is just a way to give people more ways of connecting these games together. Do I think Nintendo has an actually timeline? Honestly, no. I do however believe they could come up with one.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I personally do not think that during the creation of Ocarina of Time, that Nintendo had thought out the possibility that it can be interpreted as a split timeline. I think the idea of the split timeline was fan created after Ocarina of Time. I think it especially became relevent in the leadup to games such as the Wind Waker when questions where in place as to where it would take place.

I personally do not think there is a map that answers all our questions about a timeline, but just that they related to each other. After the split timeline became well established, I think that is where Nintendo started to try to fit games in, such as Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, stating they both take palce 100 years after the ending of Ocarina of Time, but in parallell universes.

One thing's for sure, it has led to endless debate amongst us Zelda nerds. :)

www.zeldainmypocket.com
I agree with Mases. I think that there is something, but not a great secret box that contains a timeline no one has ever thought about.

It's so obvious that they have to figure out to piece it together now. There's no way that they were planning to have to do that when the earlier games were created. IMO, yes, it is a cop out. If you say that there is a split timeline, or that there are alternate dimensions, you can claim just about anything.

I really, really, hope that there is no split timeline. It seems so cheap, so unrealistic, so...empty.

Personally, the timeline has never really mattered a whole lot to me, though. It's really about a boy named Link, who saves a girl named Zelda, and fights evils known as Vaati and Ganon(dorf). I like how some games relate to each other, such as OoT-MM-WW-PH, and I hope to one day see a good timeline, but it's just not a huge issue.

P.S. I do have a good theory, as a side note ;):Trident Theory

Y

Yumil

It's most certainly a copout. I never agreed with the split timeline and I still don't like it, even with Nintendo confirming it's existance. I agree completely with the idea that this was a fan-made theory that Nintendo adopted when they decided to try to stick the games together themselves.

Even now, I don't believe that Miyamoto cares one bit about how the games go together. Aunoma may care more, but this is still a gameplay thing first and foremost. They will come up with the came they want to make and try to fit it in as an afterthought.

Welbanks

My mom says im cool...
was a fan-made theory that Nintendo adopted when they decided to try to stick the games together themselves.

Exactly.
I think thats what there going to do if they ever reveal a time line, fine some fan who has a good one, steal it, and just act like it was right all along.

I doubt that they had the thought of the split timeline until TWW. But before I'd even heard of the split timeline I never understood how MM worked. It said that Link saved Hyrule. But now he was a kid. Shouldn't he be in the SR?

The split timeline thing is a joke to me. You can't say that this game and that game should be one after another. Whatever way the creators put the game should be how it goes. It pretty much reminds me that it goes from the past to the present and the fututre games will be the future. Do you get what I am saying because I'm starting to lose myself. XD

The split timeline thing is a joke to me. You can't say that this game and that game should be one after another. Whatever way the creators put the game should be how it goes. It pretty much reminds me that it goes from the past to the present and the fututre games will be the future. Do you get what I am saying because I'm starting to lose myself. XD

The split timeline is not a joke.
The creators said that there is a split which makes the split timeline canon.

DCMN

Hero of Internet
The split timeline is just a way to give people more ways of connecting these games together. Do I think Nintendo has an actually timeline? Honestly, no. I do however believe they could come up with one.
I remember Miyamoto said in an interview that they did have a timeline. Its pretty hard to tell if this is BS or not.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
What do you think about the timeline being split?
Are you happy with the split timeline,or do you think that it was a dumb move on Nintendo's part?

It seems to be that when Nintendo come up with the split timeline(when WW come out it was talked about in a old issue of GamePro),that it was made that way if WW bombed,they could say that timeline was not canon.
Of course we now know that both timelines are canon.
I like the split timeline,but if it's going to be there then I hope that Nintendo will make more use of it in the future.

Personnaly i don't care if there is a split timeline or a liniar timeline.
There is a topic that we deeply discussed about this issue.

But one thing i dislike about this whole split timeline is that it brings more confusion.
Now nintendo announced a split timeline when WW was released. But a split timeline was never planned in the first place, but somehow they wanted to fit in the timeline so its not tottaly inlogical. But, a lot of details isn't logical with the split timeline Due to OOT. because nintendo forgot some imortant facts said in the game and that didn't made any sense in WW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom