• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Is the Megaton Hammer Really Worth It?

M

Morningspirit23

Hello to all you guys here at Zelda Dungeon.net! I'm here to say a question that's been on my mind for about a week now- not like I had a choice. You see, it's about the Megaton Hammer. Yes, that hard hitting item that is the only thing that can smash red rocks, rusty switches, ect. Now don't get me wrong, I love this item. It's very useful in dungeons as well as the final boss. But I spent a week... of torture to get it. The temple would be ok, probably my favorite, but somewhere on my top twenty, if not for the dang hammer. Those whole week was spent just trying to get it, which involved:

-balancing just right on the staircase
-killing the keese so they wouldn't bump me off the stairs, which included
-wasting arrows
-and dying

Yes, I died and needed a fairy to bring me back to life. I might be exaggerating this, but I personally hated getting the item, not the item itself. I like the item, and I admit, it's creative how they did it, but it was not fun for me. What about you guys???

Well that's me. Morningspirit23 out.:):):)

I always dread that part when I get to it, yet I still get it first try now a days. Maybe it's because I have done it so much now. Killing the Keese first is a good idea, though I am always to lazy to do it lol.
The timer runs down quick but I think it's long enough where you can run up the stairs at a decent speed and concentrate on not falling off. Just going as fast as you can you will probably fall right off.

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
The key is to not be afraid to run full speed along the ledge and trust your turning ability onto the narrower ones. Even if you just do full speed running on the wider ones, you can slow it down a bit on the narrow ones to be safe and get to the chest in plenty of time.

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
I honestly didn't find it that hard the first time I beat the Fire Temple. On the second time however, the timer ran out of time and I had to go back and do it multiple times. Now I do not find it hard at all, infact I find it a rather simple challenge. Now to answer your question, is the Megaton Hammer worth it? My answer is yes, it is needed to complete the game on multiple occasions in dungeons or on the overworld. Examples where you use this are rusty switches, red boulders, Dark Link battle (makes it easier), overworld combat, and if you use it during final battle with Ganon when you lose the Master Sword the difficulty is decreased.

In my opinion, it is. It sure was a pain in the keister to obtain, but it is very useful in the long run.
For me, it was also a fun alternative to the sword ONCE in a while.

Oh yeah, and it's a key item in completing the Fire Temple, let alone, the whole game, so it sorta HAS to be worth it, you know.

MattWalker

Windfall Walker
I'm confused about the thread title. Asking if it's worth it is like saying it's optional, which the Megaton Hammer isn't. Just thought I'd point that out.

That's what I was thinking. I mean, I'd understand if it was an optional quest... but it isn't. :P

So, if you care at all about finishing Ocarina of Time... you better (for lack of a better phrase) get over it. ;)

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
Ooh, the infamous Hammer room! Somehow, knowing how badly I suck at OoT, I have managed to do that room in 1 try every time :xd:
I honestly don't know how. The rest of the Temple is really hard for me and makes me want to kill myself, but that one room that is known for its difficulty is very easy to me. When I did it the second time, I knew (and I mean I knew) that I could not do it a second time, but I DID! Still to this day I have no idea of how I did it. I do, although, believe the Hammer is not really worth all of the trouble needed to acquire it. It is never used in the Water, Shadow, or Spirit Temples, and isn't used a (Mega)ton in the Fire Temple.

For me it is worth it.
And you do need it to hit rusted switches in the fire temple.
And anyway its a a weapon i love having.

Yes i know it can be annoying trying to get it,but i always get it anyway.
And you do need it to beat Volvagia.

Epona

Ordon Village
Yeah I always kill the keese first too, which can take a while. Sometimes I fall off the stairs once or twice before I'm able to get to the top, but I always lean toward the left, not the right, so that if I fall, I don't fall down that endless cliff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom