• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Is the Master Sword good for anything?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Well aside from regenerating, I guess, but in terms of DPS is it useful for anything? There's plenty of swords stronger than even the enhanced 60 damage MS. Hell, Guardian Sword++ is very easy to come by and, with Ancient Armor, does 72 damage. Gear of the Wild only increases the sword beam attack from 20 to 30.

I ended up just using ancient/guardian gear against Ganon, but thinking back, does anyone know if the Master Sword has a special buff against him, beyond 60 damage? Or anything that would make it a prefered choice to ancient gear?

Right now, the only use I've had with the Master Sword is using it as a pickaxe and woodcutter's axe.

I have the Hylian Shield and the Master Sword taking up room in my inventory, i want to use them but MS is fairly pointless unless you wany to use the sword's beam only at full health and the range increases with your heart count so if you dont have many then its pointless.

So I've ended up not using the MS at all, despite it being what i look forward to in Zelda games.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
It's nice to have during dungeons and bosses, because it's indestructible during said events. There are a couple one-handed blades with higher attack, but all of them have breaking points.

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
Didn't know you could shoot beams... That's pretty cool. I personally use it when I go Lynel hunting.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
The beams are unfortunately really useless, though. Even when it's glowing they do 20 damage.....30 with Gear of the Wild.

Guardians. 'nuff said.

It'll have higher durability (or "energy") around specific types of enemies. Including guardians.

The beams are about as helpful as they were in AoL unfortunately.
That would mean very helpful. Those beams in AoL really help vs certain enemies so you can kill them at range.
I take it you're not an expert at AoL by your comment.

The Master Sword does have a good use. Use it on weaker enemies that get in your rode to save the better weapons for tougher enemies.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
It's nice to have during dungeons and bosses, because it's indestructible during said events. There are a couple one-handed blades with higher attack, but all of them have breaking points.
Not indestructible, but it is about 3 times as durable so it does feel that way. I was using it in Hyrule Castle and it eventually ran out of energy because of all the silver monsters.

No, it's absolutely not pointless. It's a good option to use if you want to conserve weapons because you always get it back. 30 is still pretty good for a one-handed sword, especially one that regenerates. And honestly if they made it indestructible it would make using any other weapon pointless, and that wouldn't be any fun. This game is designed to make you think about how you're fighting, and the Master Sword is a perfect example of that.

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Not indestructible, but it is about 3 times as durable so it does feel that way. I was using it in Hyrule Castle and it eventually ran out of energy because of all the silver monsters.

No, it's absolutely not pointless. It's a good option to use if you want to conserve weapons because you always get it back. 30 is still pretty good for a one-handed sword, especially one that regenerates. And honestly if they made it indestructible it would make using any other weapon pointless, and that wouldn't be any fun. This game is designed to make you think about how you're fighting, and the Master Sword is a perfect example of that.

Really? I never noticed it. Maybe it's just that there wasn't enough combat in the Divine Beasts for me to break it. Heck, I snuck through Hyrule Castle, so I notice it there either.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Really? I never noticed it. Maybe it's just that there wasn't enough combat in the Divine Beasts for me to break it. Heck, I snuck through Hyrule Castle, so I notice it there either.
After I beat Ganon and started my completed save file, I spent a LOT of time thoroughly exploring Hyrule Castle, it eventually ran out of energy during all that.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
That would mean very helpful. Those beams in AoL really help vs certain enemies so you can kill them at range.
I take it you're not an expert at AoL by your comment.

The Master Sword does have a good use. Use it on weaker enemies that get in your rode to save the better weapons for tougher enemies.
Are Sword Beams consistently used in AoL speed runs? I'm doubtful that it's some sort of "expert" technique since it does less damage.

Are Sword Beams consistently used in AoL speed runs? I'm doubtful that it's some sort of "expert" technique since it does less damage.
Not true. It does the same amount of damage as your sword. The only catch is the sword beams only work on some enemies, not them all.
The sword beam is great for 100% runs of Zelda 2. But not so much for any% because most of the enemies that can be hurt by the beam are skipped over.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Not true. It does the same amount of damage as your sword. The only catch is the sword beams only work on some enemies, not them all.
The sword beam is great for 100% runs of Zelda 2. But not so much for any% because most of the enemies that can be hurt by the beam are skipped over.
So "expert" strats aren't exactly expert, but rather how you play the game, right? :suspicious:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom