• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is The Legend of Zelda 'anime'?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Granted, The Legend of Zelda is yet to receive and anime adaption. But as games, do you still think they're 'anime'?

A game being 'anime' is often referring to the game's storytelling framework, narrative devices and sometimes even tropes.

Especially in later entries, Zelda has become more cinematic, and BotW in particular, draws inspiration heavily from various anime works.

Do you consider Zelda to be 'anime' now? If so, how does it impact your viewing of the series?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Not in the sense of being within the anime genre, no.

But in the sense of being strongly influenced by anime, definitely. BotW in particular is heavily influenced by anime in its art style, character tropes, and character designs especially. But that kind of influence goes back to and can be seen in SS and even WW in some ways.

I certainly don't mind if Zelda takes influence from anime styles and ideas. It's not like it would be out of place in Zelda as a series.

Chevywolf:30

The one and only.
I'm with Plinko. Even if it does have some anime story tropes, the art style is really what makes it "anime" in my book. Granted, this is a book where I haven't watched anime. But still.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
ZD Champion
if it was anime I (probably) wouldn't like it

granted I kind of like genshin impact which is anime botw but the fact that it's anime botw reinforces the non-animeness of it to begin with perhaps

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
ZD Champion
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I think it comes down to what defines anime. In Japan anime is all encompassing, involving all animated works regardless of style or narrative themes. But elsewhere anime is defined as specificly Japanese animation. Nintendo is a Japanese company and their games are animated, so I guess one could say Zelda is anime by that definition.

Not all Zelda games have anime tropes though, but some do. I'd say a game like Ocarina of Time isn't anime-inspired, but a game like Skyward Sword heavily draws from anime.

Overall, I think I'd personally say it's anime-inspired in some cases but it's not necessarily anime. We don't really consider it as anime in America, and I don't know if they do in Japan.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
heres-how-the-classic-links-awakening-opening-was-reimagined-for-the-switch-remake.jpg

I'm on the same boat [pun intended] as SMS, I think it certainly has some anime influences, but it also comes down to what you mean when you say it's "anime"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom