• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is the Hero of Time dead in the Downfall timeline?

In my headcanon he is because that makes the Downfall timeline even more tragic and i like the idea that an incarnation of Link died in a battle against Ganon and defeating Ganon in ALTTP would feel more rewarding

While I think there is room for a non-death defeat, it does defet the idea that Link is literally risking his life. The whole point, as I understand the idea of the downfall timeline, is that it would basically be the result of Link's death at any point, save Skywad Sword.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
While I think there is room for a non-death defeat, it does defet the idea that Link is literally risking his life. The whole point, as I understand the idea of the downfall timeline, is that it would basically be the result of Link's death at any point, save Skywad Sword.
You'd think, but remember that this is Nintendo. They're terrified of killing characters in Zelda.

Last edited:
Joking aside, I think the idea that Link would make a tactical retreat may contradict his virtue as most courageous to be chosen by the Triforce of Courage. Although I would actually kind of be open to the idea of there being a grumpy 100+ year old Link cooped up in a cabin somewhere, living with the burden of screwing things up. That's actually a pretty good trope when done right.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
It'd have to be a point where ganondorf can obtain both the triforce of courage and wisdom

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
I don't think it necessarily needs to involve that. If there is a hypothetical where Link dies, Ganon probably just overpowers and beats him to death.
That's what I mean. If I have this right, LTTP's backstory is him getting the whole Triforce, and the only time in OoT that Ganon encounters Zelda post the Master Sword pulling is when he captures her and takes her to his castle, then Link shows up having the Triforce of Courage, so the final battle is basically his only opportunity to take the whole Triforce, right?

You'd think, but remember that this is Nintendo. They're terrified of killing characters in Zelda.

On screen, that is. Off screen, they do it all the time... Then there's Link's uncle (A Link to the Past).

That's what I mean. If I have this right, LTTP's backstory is him getting the whole Triforce, and the only time in OoT that Ganon encounters Zelda post the Master Sword pulling is when he captures her and takes her to his castle, then Link shows up having the Triforce of Courage, so the final battle is basically his only opportunity to take the whole Triforce, right?

As side from my theory that the downfall version of these events, in Ocarina of Time, happening differently, due to Link having no chance to defeat Ganon; basically, yea.

You say that, but Link's uncle is later shown to be alive in the game's credits.

My point was, that while the creators don't show many on screen deaths, they seem to be fine killing just about anyone off screen. The uncle is still an on screen death, even if brought back at the end.

It's also why it's more fitting for the brand that the downfall version of Ocarina of Time to happen off screen.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
My point was, that while the creators don't show many on screen deaths, they seem to be fine killing just about anyone off screen. The uncle is still an on screen death, even if brought back at the end.

It's also why it's more fitting for the brand that the downfall version of Ocarina of Time to happen off screen.
It's kind of unclear to me whether his uncle was brought back from the dead or if he just took a quick nap and got better.

And I would posit that no off screen death has any impact, especially since they're the only deaths that occur in Zelda. Nothing makes your villain look incompent quite like making them absolutely nonthreats. Unless the death happens as part of the narrative, confining it to a retroactive encyclopedia canon renders it totally unimpactful.

I'm pretty sure the stairs leading into my apartment have a bigger on-screen body count than Ganon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom