• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is the Happy Mask Salesman in MM the Same...

That's true, in fact I think he's a moon person, because of the fascination for masks and the physical look
....?

Um. What reason to we have to suspect there's such a thing as moon people or that they have anything to do with masks? The Happy Mask Salesman heard about Majora's Mask and sought him out, so it seems like he lived on earth and knew the lore. If he was from the moon, wouldn't he have only appeared after Majora's Mask started calling the moon?

Don't travelling salesmen generally (well, maybe more like half the time) sell things away from home? Do the Gorons in WW live on their rafts?
Exactly. Except the Happy Mask Salesman actually operated a store. You don't build stores in places you don't live. A store is a long-term thing. Other merchants will sell on the road, like the Goron Merchants did.

I don't think his owning a store in Hyrule proves he's Hyrulian. Is it not possible that he was born in Termina, traveled to Hyrule, and set up a shop there? It doesn't mean he had to have been born in Hyrule. Maybe after collecting masks in Termina, he decided selling them in Hyrule would be easier since Hyrulians haven't seen these masks before, them being from Termina and all.

He was probably in hyule looking for Majora. But he must have been there for a while since the keaton mask was massivly populer. But this is unproven speculation... Personaly, I think they are the same and do not beleive in terminian counterparts. (I do believe in parralel worlds.)

Last edited:

Toon_Link

Super Awesome Member
Uh, what? Now why would the Happy Mask Salesman just close shop in Hyrule? Especially since he just opened shop in OoT. I always thought (after dismissing the thought of the Happy Mask Salesman being a creepy gay stalker wanting to rape Link) that when he said he was "following," it was when you were heading to the inside of the clock tower (that whole how to play as a deku tutorial thing), and I think you're in Termina then. Because when you fall down that hole there's the whole sequence where everything is black, and there's these floating, glowing mask things.

tetrafan

Zelda Fan Girl
I think he is the same one from ocarina of time because their doesn't seem to be a mask shop in termina. and he does seem to know link.

I think he is the same mask shop owner from Hyrule and that he knows exactly who Link is. To me it seems that he already knew that Link would be willing and capable of getting the mask back from the skull kid.

Uh, what? Now why would the Happy Mask Salesman just close shop in Hyrule? Especially since he just opened shop in OoT. I always thought (after dismissing the thought of the Happy Mask Salesman being a creepy gay stalker wanting to rape Link) that when he said he was "following," it was when you were heading to the inside of the clock tower (that whole how to play as a deku tutorial thing), and I think you're in Termina then. Because when you fall down that hole there's the whole sequence where everything is black, and there's these floating, glowing mask things.

There is no exact determination of the amount of time that passed between OoT and MM, I mean yes Link is still a child, but a number of reasons could lead to closing up shop. I mean look at the economy we're facing in real life right now... When business isnt good, you gotta pack up and go to where the business is good, for the sake of survival. He could have been moving to look for better work, or he could perhaps have been traveling through Hyrule doing a 'door to door' type selling much like he sent Link to do in OoT when skull kid came and stole his mask. The happy mask sales man, knowing that mask had to be retrieved or else DOOM would occur, followed after him into the land of Termina.

I think he is the same mask shop owner from Hyrule and that he knows exactly who Link is. To me it seems that he already knew that Link would be willing and capable of getting the mask back from the skull kid.

I agree, he knew Link, it was as if he saw Link and knew he would be the one capable for the job. Definitely the same Mask owner in both games.

I don't think his owning a store in Hyrule proves he's Hyrulian. Is it not possible that he was born in Termina, traveled to Hyrule, and set up a shop there? It doesn't mean he had to have been born in Hyrule. Maybe after collecting masks in Termina, he decided selling them in Hyrule would be easier since Hyrulians haven't seen these masks before, them being from Termina and all.
You're right, it doesn't prove it. But the presence of a shop owned by him in Hyrule but the absence of one in Termina is kinda significant, don't you think? It makes it incredibly unlikely he's from Termina, since obviously he doesn't care about the market there.

I always thought he was the same person from Hyrule, but then again I never accepted the theory that Termina was an alternate dimension.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
I'm surprised the theory of him being more than just man hasn't popped up in this thread. I don't remember where I saw it, but it was extremely interesting. It's something like he's some sort of guardian, but not a god or anything, he's more like Kaepora Gaebora... ugh I can't remember. This post is awful lol, I basically said nothing haha

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
I do think it is quite possible that the Happy Mask Salesman is, indeed, the same one from Hyrule. It might've been possible that he may have closed up his shop in Hyrule for a while in order to track down more masks. He did say that he followed Link for quite a while (Makes me wonder how someone with a backpack filled with masks could possibly catch up with Link), so it is plausible that his "stalking" may have started in Hyrule, then moved on to Termina.

OK, it may seem like I'm going off topic here in a second, but bear with me. Majora's Mask seems to exist only in Termina, yet Skull Kid from what we believe to be the Lost Woods obtains it. It could be quite possible that the legend of Majora's Mask could have spread through Hyrule once Skull Kid got it and started making mischief in both Hyrule and Termina. Perhaps that then got the Happy Mask Salesman in Hyrule looking for the trouble making mask and have him search for the masks in Termina and Hyrule.

So, in my little theory, it could be possible that the Happy Mask Salesman could be from Hyrule on a quest through Termina to find the right mask.

I would like to point out that Zelda could have sent Link back to a time before the Happy Mask shop re-opened, and the events of Majora's Mask took lace during that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom