• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Is the Goddess Shield/Hylian Shield Worth the Effort?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
been playin some Skyward Sword lately, playing Hero Mode, and I'm wondering if the Divine Shield line and the Hylian Shield are worth the effort required to obtain them. The Goddess Shield in particular has about 1.7x (not exact sure) the durability of the standard Divine Shield, but the DS already repairs at a ridiculously fast rate. The Hylian Shield requires going through 8 (?) bosses, not sure if that is worth it expecially on Hero Mode no potions no recovery.

So what is your opinion? On hero mode, is GS/HS worth the effort?

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I always get the Hylian Shield, just because to me, it makes Link look more proper and more like the hero we all love. Is it worth it though? Well, maybe not. You can only get it after a certain point in the game, and like you mentioned, the Goddess Shield repairs itself quite quickly anyways. I just like its durability and how good it looks on Link. :cool:

Salem

SICK
I dunno, I think it's too much hard work for just an unbreakable shield, maybe for Hero Mode, just as you said.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I tend to be a completionist, so for me, it's necessary but that's just for my one personal achievement etc.

Do I think it's worth obtaining (the Hylian Shield), or particularly vital? Well no. I feel that the shield (any form) was quite overpowered in Skyward Sword, it was my safety net when in need and it lessened the challenge when in combat as I could simply block again and again. Now this is the case in most Zelda games; however, since so much emphasis was put on sword combat it took away from that in my opinion.

Obtaining it is a bit of a grind and probably not worth the time really, one can easily go though the game with a standard upgraded shield. As for the Goddess Shield... Well it's slightly easier to obtain, via upgrades, but what I said above still remains. The latter versions of the Goddess Shield are quite powerful and they will repair automatically.

Is it worth it? Probably not but it does give you slight sense of empowerment just not enough in my opinion.

Night Owl

~Momentai
Real men don't need shields. :right:

That depends on how good you are at timing shield bashes.
If you're terrible at it, then the HS/GS are worth the extra effort.
Otherwise, I'm sure you can get by with only the DS.

Zurriel

BeStrongandofgoodCourage!
I didn't use a shield in my Hero run for extra challenge. But I would base it off on how often you get you hit your shield, the first time I played Demise broke my Divine shield in two hits... I really liked that shield :( If you're like me and are good enough to take anything out, then you don't need it. But I had a friend who got hit by everything and he wasn't able to win the game without it.

Btw you need to try the boss rush with no shield sometime, that was a lot of fun!

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Its not really worth it considering at this moment the player most likely has the fully upgraded version of the best shield which is basically just as good. The divine shield... meh? Some people aren't that good at this game and having a sheild that self heals helps. It also helps to not have to switch between wooden and electric due to their weaknesses. Of course, I always get both because I want both.

Last edited:

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
No. You have to face and difficult challenge. You also don't really need it to complete the game. I've gotten through Hero Mode just fine with the Iron Shield.

Zurriel

BeStrongandofgoodCourage!
Shield upgrades are always worth it. Period.

I never upgraded my shields, save for once on the Divine Shield. I didn't use the shield that much (Most enemies are too slow to even attack me in the first place) and when I did, I hardly missed. So whether it's worth it or not just depends on how good you are at playing the game.

Salem

SICK
You know? The things you go through to get these powerful shields, are like among the hardest things in the game, so you would need them for those, but you only get them after that boss rush thingie. :xd:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom