• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Is the Damsel in Distress Angle Truly Suited to Zelda Narratives?

Zelda isn't like Mario, regardless of the narratives in a Mario story even if Princess Peach isn't kidnapped the games still play out the same and the end may as well be being reunited with a princess rather than a handful of random do-nothing objects (like sticker crowns and shine sprites) in a world we'll never see again.

Zelda is far different in that it can carry narratives without Zelda finding herself in an embuggerance, and some Zelda titles dont even have Zelda featured in them. Yet outsiders looking in always seem to make the misconception that Zelda is always in need of rescue, which kind of bugs me since the best stories in Zelda are when that doesn't happen, and even if it does its usually near the end like OoT or TP or even WW.

So what are your opinions on the Zelda being kidnapped angle, is it a story Zelda needs to tell occasionally or would you not miss it if the concept never returned? Do you need damsels in your Zelda?

PapilioTempesta

Tots Som Pops
Not any more. Traditionally, the games were villain kiddnaps princess, hero defeats villain, hero saves princess. that's the fricking Triforce, and everything else is just fillers -perfect example, the Mario vs donkey kong in the barrel platfrom game.

But LoZ has evolved a lot, we have much more to play through now, including side quests that have nothing to do with defeating evil, just helping around and getting extra goods. I think the story isn't any more about saving Zelda, who in the latter games she even looks like she can handle on her own. It's not saving the Princess and by extension the kingdom any more, now is Saving Hyrule and, in addition, putting Zelda back in charge.

I'd love in some further games to see Zelda actively helping us through the game (pushing Sheik a bit further), or even be able to play with her as well as with Link.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I think it would be great if Zelda could NOT be damseled. It's such an old and outdated trope. I'd rather have her be a playable character or at the very least a side-kick (kind of like we saw in Spirit Tracks, even though she was partially damseled in that one by having her body stolen and being trapped in spirit form). She was dead useful in several of the puzzles and during combat, and that was really refreshing. Wish we could have more of that happening.

Salem

SICK
Zelda was never JUST a damsel in distress, even if the game itself doesnt' go deep into this.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
To be perfectly frank, I'm tired of supposedly important characters being locked behind bars or some kind of protector or whatever. You should actually DO something if you're going to be called important, you know? Live a life, beat up some baddies, help the protag, or whatever. Not sit back whistling, waiting for your Knight to come by and pick you up as well as deliver some pizza while you're hungry.

Sure, Sheik helped out...but that was Sheik. Zelda herself was still a damsel in distress, just not locked behind bars (til the end anyway). Why can't the girl be important AND active? I mean, she did stuff in Spirit Tracks! Why revert her to the useless status in Skyward Sword? Why did she have to have spunk as Tetra, but the moment she is reverted to the blonde hair character she is slapped with the useless, do-nothing sticker? It's like Nintendo is pushing some subliminal messages here. :I

Damsel in distress = no go.

Big Octo

=^)
The trope would have suited the series in the first three titles. In mid and later games, the notion has been ignored for the most part.

Zelda has been given roles beyond being the helpless princess. She has been found to be much more of a reliable ally to Link. Personally, I enjoy this direction taken. It's nice to see something fresh.

However, I still enjoy saving her as well. It builds on the heroism of Link. Any game that had a good balance between Zelda's usefullness and her ultimate capturing appeals verynmuch to me.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Addendum: I can understand if an important character is in a restricted environment if the situation really calls for it. Simply someone being in danger isn't enough of a reason for me. Link is in danger 24/7 but you don't see him locked behind a safety net, do you? But take Twilight Princess for example. On a human level, she's the Princess-supposed-to-be-Queen of Hyrule. She also pretty much signed an agreement with Zant. I can totally understand her doing practically nothing for the first half of the game, not because she was restricted by some arbitrary barrier but because she COULDN'T do anything. Then through the rest of the game, she imparted her spirit to Midna. That's understandable and important in itself, and it makes sense.

Oh, and in TMC, Zelda was turned to stone. You can't expect a stone to do much...unless it's an Armos Knight, of course. ;)

But come places like OoT, TWW, and SS...just why is she so useless? She's this important character, having the Triforce of Wisdom or some magical soul or whatever, but I'm sure she can do stuff beyond give me a blessing for a magical blade or give me the deus ex machina that is Ganondorf's weakness! D:

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I see nothing wrong with the way the series does things. Link is our hero, and Zelda has varying roles throughout each game; usually as support or in need of rescue. it's done the series well, and I see no problems or issues with its continuation. Take it easy people. This is one of the main components of this beloved series.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I see nothing wrong with the way the series does things. Link is our hero, and Zelda has varying roles throughout each game; usually as support or in need of rescue. it's done the series well, and I see no problems or issues with its continuation. Take it easy people. This is one of the main components of this beloved series.

Although it's part of the series, I wouldn't go anywhere close to calling it a "main component" or even a "component" of the series. Components of the series are non linearity, exploration, and getting stronger as you go on. Playing as Zelda Link is a component. Rescuing that blonde girl isn't a main component, it's just a tiny goal. You have a whole world ahead of you and the final achievement just isn't part of that. It's all about the experiences you get on with up until meeting that final achievement.

So I have to say that we could very well do without having Zelda as a damsel. It didn't happen in Majora's Mask yet that game is diamond just like its older sister game Ocarina of Time. It...technically didn't happen in Spirit Tracks and just look at the fanbase that game has regarding its story! :I

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I'm afraid i must disagree. Zelda is a main part of the series. It's called The Legend of Zelda. MM and LA got away with not having her due to their entire odd premises, but what kind of series would we be without her?

as for her role, i see no problem in her various levels of supporting link or needing rescue. You can mix it up from game to game, but Link questing to save her and Hyrule is what makes Zelda Zelda, along with the lore and what not. Those gameplay mechanics are found in other games, but Hyrule, its lore, and its people are what make Zelda Zelda. Its a unique and beautiful identity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom