• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Texting Overrated?

Niko Bellic 817

GH3: Legends of Rock
I really can't stand how popular texting people has become. I really hate doing it, especially on the Iphone. It takes so long because my big fingers usually press the wrong buttons. The worst part about it is when people do it while driving. They could get into a crash much more easily that way.

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
It IS overrated. However, I do it all too often. I have to pay $.20 for each text, so I try to make them count. It is the only way to communicate with one of my brothers in law. He won't answer calls, just texts. It's also a quick way to communicate if I don't want to spend time making small talk.

I get frustrated when people are texting in public, like at the store or in a restaurant. Can't it wait until you are done buying your sandwich?

ShellShocker

adjective spaceman
Yeah, I think it is overrated. I don't even have a phone anyway. I bet I'd be slow at typing on a phone anyway, I'd get confused where the letters are because I am usually typing on a keyboard. Anyway, I can't believe how much people text. Many people have phones at they just spend an hour a day talking to their friends though the phone. Heck - people MY AGE even have phones. It'd quite weird. They don't even need them anyway until they go into secondary school. Texting is overrated.

Texting is overrated, in my opinion. People get addicted, and do it while walking, driving, talking, and everything else, it seems. I never do it. I have no reason to. If I'm going to talk with my friends, I'd much rather do it over the phone than texting. And even then, I'd much rather talk to them in person. So much more can be said, and is so much easier to explain in person than while texting. Besides, texting costs money, unless you get unlimited minutes, which also costs money.

linkman8

True and Noble
Texting is overused, and to be honest, it's doing us more harm than good. Too many kids are entering High School and College thinking they can use texting language on their homework assignments.
In addition, it's sort of draining our youth of manners in some ways. For example, no matter what situation, no matter how formal of an occasion they find themselves in, they must whip out the cell phone to ask their friends what they're doing.
Everytime I give someone my number, I tell them, "Only text me if you just need to get me a short message that I won't necessarily need to respond to; otherwise call me."

I don't see texting so much as overused, as it is a problem.

And it has a lot of problems. The main ones being school. I sit through 7 hours of school for 5 days a week, and do you know how many kids I see with their hands under their desks or in their bag texting away? A lot. Too many for me to want to count. But I just go back to sleeping because I don't really care either way.

That is a problem. I honestly question everytime I see it, what could be that important that you need to do that? Why not talk about it after class?

That's the next problem. People can't have a decent conversation anymore. It's just, hi, bye, or nothing at all.

So............a problem. Yes.....

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Texting Is overrated only if one finds things in a loop-like effect. You see them texting over and over and it does not stop.

Here in the Philippines Texting is part of Life now. Most people loose their common Sense if they don't text at least 5 times a day.

heh

Also, Texting is draining of people with the correct Spelling of words such as

Thanks- thx
see ya- C yah
whatever- Whtevr
college- Colge

some words have been abbreviated to make some words more understandable and to make space but.... they also make people think it's the correct Spelling.

Texting Is overrated only if one finds things in a loop-like effect. You see them texting over and over and it does not stop.

Here in the Philippines Texting is part of Life now. Most people loose their common Sense if they don't text at least 5 times a day.

heh

Also, Texting is draining of people with the correct Spelling of words such as

Thanks- thx
see ya- C yah
whatever- Whtevr
college- Colge

some words have been abbreviated to make some words more understandable and to make space but.... they also make people think it's the correct Spelling.
I've also heard people say things like "Oh em gee," "El oh el," among others. It really makes you sound stupid talking like that. It hurts my ears and brings down my IQ everytime I hear someone say these things.

They also spell things like:
You - u
Are - r
Before - B4
For - 4

I've seen these things on school papers people have turned in. Really sad. D:

I never text. Mainly because it aggravates the life outta me to see people constantly texting. Secondly, because I really have no big need for it. A phone is for talking verbally to a person. Texting is just pulling people further away from social interaction. Its causing society to hide behind a wall while they speak with others. Its weird how people will text about anything to another person, yet will only say very few things verbally, and even less things in person.

I'm not some bookworm or a guy who likes to follow every single rule in school/college or whatever, but generally you shouldn't have your cell phone out during class. And it drives me up the wall to set and see someone texting while the teacher is giving a lecture. I'm all for playing my DS or something while the teacher is chatting away, well, I used to be back in high school. But I mean my God, I'm in college, and people pay all that money for classes just to set and text their friends who apparently have nothing else to do at the time.

But from a sociology standpoint, as I said before, texting, as well as internet chat, pulls people further away from real social interaction. I'm fine with online chatting, but a phone is a phone. Its really kinda sad how people talk so much through texting but in person, will literally become a different person. It messes with people's heads a lot, at least it does mine. Say I meet a girl or something that lives near me, get her number or screenname, and she texts or messages me online. We talk for a week or so, chatting it up like we've known each other for years. Then, when we get around to going out somewhere, she doesn't hardly say two words. That drives me insane. People have so many different personalities these days when they should only have one, which should be apparent in all forms of communication, not just this one or that one.

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
I hate texting. It takes me so much time to type something on a phone that it is more efficient to call instead of sending a text message. I forget my phone a lot though, so most of the time it is useless to call me :P.

Sadly, I see a lot of people which phone is almost glued on their hand. People text during college, people text when you are talking to them, people text when we are eating lunch. I've seen on tv that some people even text while driving o_O. I just can't understand why people feel the need to look on that stupid piece of plastic while driving putting other people in danger because they need to see if a friend said something useless.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
Yes, I agree that texting is overrated. For one, yes I will admit that I have texting and that I do text every now and then, but if you were to compare my texting to someone who texts every second of the day, mine would be a tiny percentage of what they send in one day.

And even when I text, I find myself not really using the "text language" that most people use. In most of my texts I tend to use proper grammar. For one, I find it to be extremely hard to decifer that language and I don't want to have to put the people that I text through that problem either. And for another thing, I find it hard to not text in proper grammar. Sure, I admit that I use the occasional "u" for "you" and other shortcuts like that if I'm in a hurry to find something out, but other than that, no, I can't bring myself to text like that a whole lot.

Last edited:

Nepolink

Corrupted Idiot
It is really overrated, i totally agree. And the other side i really hate texting.
I know some people who are texting just the words ''Ok'' or ''cool'', pathetic as hell. I see enough people walking with their phone on hand, driving with their phone on hand, when i was on school they were sneaky texting under their desks, i see people constantly texting in the train or other things. I never text for just a talk, i need to call someone if it's really neccesary, while my friends are texting me for a talk. The funnest thing is i never text back if they really want to talk to me call me or talk to me on MSN or other community stuff. The best way is talk to me as a real person, no other communication stuff, i prefer the stuff if someone is far awayand really wanted to talk with me. texting is really slow and it cost a lot of money. I know some people who are only working for their phone! Just stupid... Why spending a lot of money into those things while you can talk man to man?

I only text on friday, well not anymore now i lost my lovely job. I had to text my peoples week schedules. It's confusing to call 60 people for their schedules, and if they lost the times they can always look on their phone what their shifts and times are. That's the only way i like about texting, not for just a talk.
A time ago i heard something like texting is very cool and all, people are walking, sitting or whatever with their phones because they think they are really cool doing that. I don't see the ''cool'' point in texting and i shall never see. Spend your money wisely.

When i look at my phone i got messenges from people who are bored. ''I am bored'' and all that stuff. I shall never reply on something useless, if they are bored just do something instead of disturbing me with those pointless texts. No really i am not a fan of texting. texting me one question is alright but i shall never start whole talks, never.

Dark Princess

Weeaboo :D
I actually like texting, though I hate it that people always try to text in school and while they drive. It's really stupid. It makes me want to walk up to them, take their cell phone, and snap it in half. I mean, they should know better than that. We already have enough car accidents, so come on. >_<

Keats

The Most Interesting Man
It's irritating at times, but I wouldn't call it overrated. Before my parents deactivated my phone for reasons unknown, texting was basically all I used it for. I rarely have extended conversations with people over the phone, and it seems inconvenient to call someone just to ask them a simple question.

Also, while I'm here, how fast can the rest of you text (if you do at all)? I could pump out a solid 30 or so words a minute. T9Word FTW.

Overrated. Annoying. Silly. Impractical. The list goes on. -.-

Oh, but an interesting note. A kid (teen, probably) got into a contest with an old guy. They were both to send a message, the kid using texting, and the old guy using Morse Code, and see who could send it faster. Guess who won? Old guy. :P

Texting isn't efficient. It only has two draws: it's cute, and it's quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom