• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Speaking in a Different Language Rude?

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
I think some use it as a chance to talk privately in front of others. It certainly helps keep some info private. I think it's perfectly fine, seeing as I'm learning Spanish and I don't mind keeping some info private myself.

If there exists a language barrier, then speaking in a different language isn't rude. If one of my friends or classmates is over at my house, I always converse with my grandmother about any snacks or refreshments they desire in Polish, since she can hardly speak English.

I've been on the other side of the stick a few times as well. My friend's grandparents exclusively speak German and other European dialects I'm unfamiliar with. Rather than look around paranoid, I asked him about several words they used afterwards picking up some basic German understanding.

If you feel people are being rude to you in another language, then you probably shouldn't be in their company.

Immagino che possa essere a volte. Tuttavia, la maggior parte del tempo, non vi è nulla di male. Nel complesso, puo dipendere variamente. Credere nel cuore delle carte...

Lupo è un animale piu bello...

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Immagino che possa essere a volte. Tuttavia, la maggior parte del tempo, non vi è nulla di male. Nel complesso, puo dipendere variamente. Credere nel cuore delle carte...

See, I don't understand anything bar that last sentence. I don't even know what language you're speaking (Latin, maybe? or maybe Italian/French). I think this would be considered rude, but the problem is that, as I said, I don't understand a thing you said. :I

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!

Jepp, dette er det jeg snakker om ;) Her er et forum hvor vi hovedsakelig bruker engelsk som fellesspråk slik at vi kan alle lese og forstå det de andre sier, hvis noen da plutselig begynner å skrive på språk som ikke alle forstår så blir det automatisk ekskluderende og noen vil ende opp å føle seg utenfor. Jeg sier ikke at vi ikke kan bruke våre egne språk, men hvis vi ikke tilbyr de andre en oversettelse/forklaring så har de ingen måte å delta på.

onebizarrekai

gay energy
If the reason it's rude is because you're trying to purposefully EXCLUDE (not keep information secret or something) someone from a conversation, then yes, it's likely rude. If you're doing it for any other reason than that I feel like it's okay.

Skittles

Rainbows!
If it's understood that the person speaking in the other language can barely speak in English (or the natively used language), then it's fine for that person to use the other language. If they can however speak that language, it actually is quite rude because one, if it's really something they wish to speak about privately, they should do so on their own time. That's much like texting at the table or when in someone else's company. No, I can't read what you're texting, but if it's not an emergency, you should leave it for later. It's fundamentally rude because you're leaving someone out of the loop in a purposefully and often rude way. At least, that's been my experience in this matter.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Yes and no. Let me give you an example. At my work we have a lot of polish and rumenian people. They hardly speak dutch but they do speak english so they always communicate in english. BUUUUUUUT when we are in the care with let's say 4 5 people and 3 of them speak their native language and 2 speak dutch and all of us speak english I find it incredibly rude when they talk in their own language and when we talk dutch they say: english please. So there is a difference. But when people are with their family and friends in a restaurant I don't mind if they talk their own language.

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
I think that if you are a guest in someones home and they start to speak in a language that you don't understand then i consider it rude. unless there is a certain member who can only speak that language.
I think it's rude if there were two people in a room that were speaking English before and then I person walks in, then they start to speak in a different language.
I have had people speak about me in a different language while i was in plain site and they were talking about my body and what they liked and didn't like about. and just very harassing things about me. unknown to them that I actually understood them.
I just don't like it when people speak a different language around me that I don't understand because I had bad experience about it.

ILU

i luv u
It's rude, and in my family you get smacked in the mouth for it.

It's rude because it's exclusionary. You do not treat friends or guests like that, ever. If you're just out in public or whatever, that's fine. But if you have company over or are in a setting where others are included in your conversation or activity, it's not okay. It makes people feel uncomfortable, left out, or sometimes they worry that you're talking badly about them.

Just be polite and speak the language everyone in the situation is most comfortable with.

( I think cases of language barriers are obviously situations where it's ok)

WW IsDa Bombchu

Fez+Bowtie=Time
When my friends annoy me, I usually say something or other back at them in my mother language. Even though I speak English much better than any other language, it's a habit I developed spending all my breaks with my cousins, and we would only speak in said mother language. My friends, none save a few speaking said language, tend to either just ignore I said anything or give me this funny look.

In answer to your question, absolutely and xenologically not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom