• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Speaking in a Different Language Rude?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
One of my friends happens to speak another language than English, and quite fluently IIRC. When I visit his house, sometimes he talks to his dad in the language, but his mom always snaps "English only!". I don't know the language at all.

But, this isn't about English so much as it is any language other than your native one or the one used in conversation. Do you think speaking in a different language to a third party is rude, or do you think it just sort of happens and should be overlooked?

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
If they don't have the best English, and they are used to speaking their Native language, it's not rude at all.
If he only talks to his dad in that language, there is nothing wrong with it. Maybe he wants to keep their conversation private from the people that do not understand them.

If he tries to talk to you in that language, then that is very rude.

LittleGumball

Slammin' Salmon
It depends on the situation.

Generally, I would say no, but if you're just using it as a crutch to either be a jerk to someone or insult them without their knowledge, then I'd say that's a little bit rude.

Dan

Well it depends, if he's merely excersing his language go ahead, it's up to him how he speaks, and if he's talking to his Dad it doesn't necessarily mean his mum HAS to know what he's talking about. If they are speaking a different language to someone directly that doesn't know the language, then they are just being a ******* ;p

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
It's not rude in a general sense, but it kind of depends on the situation. Like, if two people are speaking another language and pointing at me while doing so, I don't know about you, but I find that pretty rude. But, for example, my French teacher sometimes talks to her independent French 4/AP students in French during our French II class, and I take such actions as her just teaching and not being rude. You catch my drift? It's hard to explain, but I think I got my point somewhat across (I hope). :sweat:

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I think when you have company, speaking a language they don't understand around them is rude, because you are excluding them from the conversation by default. I don't appreciate it when I'm with friends from other countries and they start having exchanges in their language with each other all of a sudden and doesn't including me. Or when I'm in a chatroom and people move the conversation over to a language I don't understand. When that happens I switch to Norwegian just to make a point.

I think including people in a conversation is important, if there are people speaking different languages, at least then make attempts to translate between people, let them be part of it. It's not all that hard to do and it really changes the dynamic from a person feeling left out and vulnerable to everyone feeling that they are part of the conversation.

I'm Norwegian myself, one of my flatmates is French and when he had his parents over, we communicated through switching back and forth between Norwegian, English and French. Me and my flatmate in Norwegian, him and his parents in French and me and his parents in English (my flatmate's English is not all that strong, and my French is so poor I can't even have a basic conversation in it). It worked because one part would always translate for the others what we were all saying, like my flatmate would explaing to me in Norwegian, or his parents would explain in English, he would explain to them in French, etc. so everyone got to take part in the same conversation.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I think it's situational.

Sometimes, it's simply for ease. You talk to a friend in your native language because it's easier, there'll be no little mistakes, no mis-understandings, no anything like that. I think that's fine. I can speak French and if I'm speaking to a French person, I'd turn to a friend and probably speak English then continue, maybe apologize and explain, so he doesn't get the wrong idea. Be polite. However, I believe a lot of the time it's done to just hide what's being said, and I think that's quite rude and I wouldn't like that happening to me. I think that act is quite rude to the other person and appears to be quite common.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
The worst argument Ive ever heard agais speaking another langage my step mom find it rude if some one in a public place speaks spanish with them selves. Her mind set is if you live in america speak english. I disagree with this.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
ahhh, this is a Personal topic for me. and as others say the Situation matters. When around others or when speaking to and English person i do find it rude for (If in a group) to talk to you in English then to themselves laughing. It always makes me feel like they are talkin about me.

put it this way i worked for two Indians last summer. an when they were on the phone and talking between each other they would speak Indian. However they would speak to me in the best English they could which was just...... no good! but then they would hop off in the middle of talkin to me and speak Indian to each other, and come back to me. there I KNOW they were talkin about me. THAT is what i find rude.

There is just a group of Asians walkin around the mall and they are speaking their Native Language...A-OK, just know when to attempt English

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
It's really not, but I can see how it would be considered rude.

If you're walking and hear a people speaking Spanish, obviously that's completely fine. When they walk into a room speaking Spanish, again, obviously nothing wrong with that. It's when you hear them speaking English until they notice you, and then they start speaking Spanish, that's kind of a fine line. I, personally, don't care, but I could see why others might get the wrong idea.

*Edit: Also, you're with a group of people who exclude you from the conversation by speaking a foreign language. I think it's ok for the English speaker in that situation to ask them to speak English if it's possible, but if they refuse, I think it's also ok for the English speaker to get annoyed and leave said group.

Last edited:

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
One of my better friends is of Panamanian lineage, so whenever I go to his house he, his mom and his grandmother fluctuate between English and Spanish for ease of communication. I really don't mind since his parent and grandparent were both born in a different country.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
The worst argument Ive ever heard agais speaking another langage my step mom find it rude if some one in a public place speaks spanish with them selves. Her mind set is if you live in america speak english. I disagree with this.

Oh, I completely agree with you there. If you talk amongst yourselves in a language not commonly used in a country, but everyone belonging to the group speaks/understand the language the conversation is in, then there's nothing wrong with that. I was merely arguing when you are in a situation where people who otherwise would have been part of the conversation are excluded because they don't speak the language the others are speaking in.

If a group walks past me on the street talking in Spanish or French or Japanese or whatever, then I don't get how people can be upset by that, they are not part of your group or social circle, they aren't speaking to you and probably not about you. I actually like walking around and hearing different languages spoken around me. One time I was down at my local store and there were a couple of older asian looking women. I was pretty sure they were speaking Japanese because I recognized the speech pattern, so as I had to get past them I excused myself to them in Japanese. I loved how their eyes got wide with amazement and how they then got eager to talk to me. Unfortunately that was just one of very few phrases I know, so I had to apologize and explain in English that I don't know more than a few words in their language, lol

Imprisoned

*~German Sparkle Party~*
I don't see anything wrong with people speaking in other languages. I don't happen to have any friends that do, but I think it's like drawing in a different style, or liking a different author. Nothing wrong with it.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Ill admit to using German to cuss out some people on occasions, but my meaning is clear. Its not like I do it to exclude people, just to get past my school's (poorly enforced) no-swearing restrictions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom