• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Is OOT overrated?

Is OOT overrated?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Akiranon

Fallen Knight
Through the years the game has started to show its age. Still, you have to keep in mind that at the time OoT was totally unique. It was the first 3D Zelda and it looked and played wonderfully.

It's just that when compared to modern games it's not all that amazing anymore. I wouldn't say it's overrated, the older Zelda fans just praise it too much. But that's because it was most likely their first introduction to the Zelda franchise. The 'current' Zelda generation (should you call it that) started with games like Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. And for them, Ocarina of Time just isn't that amazing as it was to us. :)

R

ResidentZelda

Heck no! the game deserves all it's fame! it is awesome!

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Yes it is. OOT is just an ordinary game to me, it's simple just remove all the bloody "It's the first game" crap and you get a very good Zelda game. It is in no way comparable to Triforce of The Gods or Majora's Mask. It lacks things in a few departments. It lacks original main story; it's Alttp all over again. And it's pretty much Alttp that's in 3D. The graphic design is nothing to shake a hat at, but I will admit that it is very nice for a 64 game without the expansion.

Once again I am going to compare the story to an older Zelda game before it if anyone wants to use the "first" arguement. Compare this to Link's Awakening (1993) Link's Awakening was not just a game about saving the world from a dictator who has captured the Princess and is power hungry.
This time the villain might as well be YOU! You go to an island of happy inhabitants and you find yourself enjoying it but soon the happiness crashes into glass shards. If you want to leave the island you must pay a heavy price. You must kill all the people who had come to meet you and have fun with you, including your love (it is heavily implied.) Do you want to go on and pop the dream? Or would you stay on that island forever?

Now let's compare it to Ocarina. Save the world form destruction against an evil mad man who hurts people to get what he wants. You then find yourself having to save a princess and sages along the way in order to save the world. There are plot twists (two) and no real question of choice or feelings on those you left behind.

Don't use the 3D arguement on that, because if LA was in 3D I can tell you that you'd be very impressed at the story of LA in 3D.

Gameplay- Let's compare the core gameplay to that of older Zelda's. It's basically run around with no different change of controls in how you play. It's Alttp in 3D again.

This game deserves praise for bringing Zelda 3D with a bang, but in my opinion it doesn't deserve praise as the best Zelda of all time.

Don't treat OOT as the first 3D game and treat it as a normal Zelda or else you'll have to give the same praise to LOZ as the best game. Take off the "first time" glasses.
(Was around for when it was released so I am no new gamer.)

Yes it is. OOT is just an ordinary game to me, it's simple just remove all the bloody "It's the first game" crap and you get a very good Zelda game. It is in no way comparable to Triforce of The Gods or Majora's Mask. It lacks things in a few departments. It lacks original main story; it's Alttp all over again. And it's pretty much Alttp that's in 3D.

I'll never understand why people are always drooling all over their shirts for an "original storyline". Some people think that Zelda needs a good plot to make it a good game, which is utter nonsense to me. Go play Final Fantasy if you want a good storyline, and don't complain about Zelda not having one, because Zelda has never been about that. It would be ALttP in 3D just because the story is similar? I don't think so. There are many many differences between the two games that set them apart from each other. The layout of Hyrule, the different races, and different items.

The graphic design is nothing to shake a hat at, but I will admit that it is very nice for a 64 game without the expansion.

Again, you're complaining about something that Zelda had never been about. Zelda games have always been outdone by other systems at the time when it comes to graphics, so that argument falls flat on its face.

Once again I am going to compare the story to an older Zelda game before it if anyone wants to use the "first" arguement. Compare this to Link's Awakening (1993) Link's Awakening was not just a game about saving the world from a dictator who has captured the Princess and is power hungry.
This time the villain might as well be YOU! You go to an island of happy inhabitants and you find yourself enjoying it but soon the happiness crashes into glass shards. If you want to leave the island you must pay a heavy price. You must kill all the people who had come to meet you and have fun with you, including your love (it is heavily implied.) Do you want to go on and pop the dream? Or would you stay on that island forever?

Now let's compare it to Ocarina. Save the world form destruction against an evil mad man who hurts people to get what he wants. You then find yourself having to save a princess and sages along the way in order to save the world. There are plot twists (two) and no real question of choice or feelings on those you left behind.

You're just drooling over plot again. Is that all you look for in a Zelda game? If plot is your main concern, you really should play a game like Final Fantasy X. Its plot blows every Zelda game in existance out of the water.

Gameplay- Let's compare the core gameplay to that of older Zelda's. It's basically run around with no different change of controls in how you play. It's Alttp in 3D again.

Yeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhh, umm, that's what how it is in EVERY Zelda game, old and new. I don't think it was going to change just because of Zelda going 3D.

This game deserves praise for bringing Zelda 3D with a bang, but in my opinion it doesn't deserve praise as the best Zelda of all time.

Don't treat OOT as the first 3D game and treat it as a normal Zelda or else you'll have to give the same praise to LOZ as the best game. Take off the "first time" glasses.
(Was around for when it was released so I am no new gamer.)

Basically, you've just made the point that OoT didn't have a plot you liked, and that OoT shared the gameplay of every other Zelda game in existance. Believe me, my "first time" glasses have been off for a long while. OoT provided me with much more fun than any Zelda game I've ever played, and it has the title of Best Zelda from me. Fun > "original storyline" anyday in my book.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
I'll never understand why people are always drooling all over their shirts for an "original storyline". Some people think that Zelda needs a good plot to make it a good game, which is utter nonsense to me. Go play Final Fantasy if you want a good storyline, and don't complain about Zelda not having one, because Zelda has never been about that. It would be ALttP in 3D just because the story is similar? I don't think so. There are many many differences between the two games that set them apart from each other. The layout of Hyrule, the different races, and different items.

Again, you're complaining about something that Zelda had never been about. Zelda games have always been outdone by other systems at the time when it comes to graphics, so that argument falls flat on its face.

You're just drooling over plot again. Is that all you look for in a Zelda game? If plot is your main concern, you really should play a game like Final Fantasy X. Its plot blows every Zelda game in existance out of the water.

Yeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhh, umm, that's what how it is in EVERY Zelda game, old and new. I don't think it was going to change just because of Zelda going 3D.

Basically, you've just made the point that OoT didn't have a plot you liked, and that OoT shared the gameplay of every other Zelda game in existance. Believe me, my "first time" glasses have been off for a long while. OoT provided me with much more fun than any Zelda game I've ever played, and it has the title of Best Zelda from me. Fun > "original storyline" anyday in my book.

Now you are misinterpretting me. I don't look for awesome stories all the time I want gameplay that has differences between the many other Zeldas and so far only one Zelda has given me no new gameplay what so ever (TP.) However guess what, I played MM and found it to be much funner than OOT becsause of the different gameplay and the only reason I am not one of the people who say "The timer is a problem." It is because I slow down time and take advantage of time and events I have learned. Because of this I love MM to death all the way.
Wind Waker has the sailing mechanic and temples that really use the items in very fun and intuitive ways. And the Tingle Tuner is very fun and original (if you have the cable.)
OOT has not much varying gameplay in it at all. Alttp had varying gameplay because it was the first to use magic in the top down enviroments. It used the two world storyline first and it had the greatest bosses conceived in Zelda.
LA..... when I think about it, LA has not much in it that is original aside from the story. I still rate Zelda heavily on originality and story. So if you have a problem how I see how "I" think of Zelda's then you better just turn around and change someone else's opinion. Because I am not budging, I didn't find OOT as fun as other Zeldas and I think it's overrated, that's that.

Now you are misinterpretting me. I don't look for awesome stories all the time I want gameplay that has differences between the many other Zeldas and so far only one Zelda has given me no new gameplay what so ever (TP.) However guess what, I played MM and found it to be much funner than OOT becsause of the different gameplay and the only reason I am not one of the people who say "The timer is a problem." It is because I slow down time and take advantage of time and events I have learned. Because of this I love MM to death all the way.
Wind Waker has the sailing mechanic and temples that really use the items in very fun and intuitive ways. And the Tingle Tuner is very fun and original (if you have the cable.)
OOT has not much varying gameplay in it at all. Alttp had varying gameplay because it was the first to use magic in the top down enviroments. It used the two world storyline first and it had the greatest bosses conceived in Zelda.
LA..... when I think about it, LA has not much in it that is original aside from the story. I still rate Zelda heavily on originality and story. So if you have a problem how I see how "I" think of Zelda's then you better just turn around and change someone else's opinion. Because I am not budging, I didn't find OOT as fun as other Zeldas and I think it's overrated, that's that.

This is an argment I accept. If OoT isn't as fun to you as the other Zeldas, that's fine with me, and I can understnad you're way of thinking. That's a good reason to think that OoT is overrated, because I only look for fun in a game.

And I'm sorry if my above post was little harsh or if it felt like I was attcking your opinion. I'm not in the best of moods today. :D

midnightokami

Can I has cheese burger?
I don't think Ocarina of time is over rated at all. I never heard of the zelda game series until my birthday back in the beginning of 2008. (My birthday present was a ds that came with Phantom Hourglass)

C

Crystal Clair

I'm going to say that Oot is overrated. It may have had memorable characters, a great storyline and that great backstory, not to mention great temples but the land was boring and empty and you can't honestly compare the characters to the ones from Majora's Mask.

D

Detha

It really isn't. Many newcomers jumping into it after playing Twilight might not accept the aging graphics, smaller world, less-refined control, and slow start-up, but the difficulty curve, the scope and scale of each dungeon, the efficiency of the world and the space it used, the pacing, the lack of filler, the dungeon-crawling/side-quests/secrets/exploration ratio was just so damned good. The story was also decent. I really didn't appreciate the game as much in my past as I have recently.

Basically, no - it is not.

Immortal_One

Math is power.
This game is more than ten years old and still considered one of the best games ever created. In it's time, it was ground breaking. Few people had faith in Nintendo making the puzzle-action aspect of Zelda to remain as solid as it was in previous games. Ocarina of Time not only exceeded expectations of many people, but is the game that usually gets new players to start loving the series.

Overrated games such as Halo and the like can be considered overrated because so many people love the game for all the wrong reasons. Like Dark Link said, flashy graphics and online play don't make a great game. In my opinion, gameplay, storyline, difficulty, soundtrack and graphics make the game. OoT created a beautiful balance in each of these. I don't feel as if it's any bit overrated.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I'm going to agree with chargewithsword on one thing he stated. If you're going to say that OoT is the best because it started the 3D revolution for Zelda then you have to say that LoZ is the best because it started the Zelda revolution to begin with. OoT is always praised for being the "best" game. You are all bringing up how it started so much for the series and that's all fine and dandy, but that doesn't make it the best game. That just makes it a good start. MM was a much better game than OoT, IMO. I like many of the older handheld titles more than I like OoT. What makes a certain game the best is it's plot, gameplay, plot twists, etc..

OoT definitely does not have the best plot of the series. It doesn't have the best gameplay of the series. It has VERY FEW plot twists and the items are very plain. Yes, it's a good start, but based on what there is now, it is very overrated.

Many of you will say "compared to now, yeah, it is overrated, but it wasn't back then"

For those of you who will say that, this is my response. Stop living in the past, because it's in the past.

Last edited:

Immortal_One

Math is power.
I just feel like it got me into the storyline a lot more than pretty much any other game. ALttP gave a lot of insight into the storyline, but not near as much as any of the 3D Zelda games. I think it was just the little things that made me adore that game so much. Hearing the classic Master Sword sound bit play while I was watching Link take the blade in his hands was amazing.

I think the aspect of 3D gave the game a lot, not only in terms of graphics, but also in terms of conveying feeling. Looking at the game now, it's not all that pretty. Seeing Princess Zelda with her eyes closed and her hands clasped in front of her face while advancing the plot line doesn't seem all that breathtaking to us right now. Ten years ago, it was close to something out of a movie. I think that a basic 3D figure with text scrolling at the bottom evokes a lot more feeling than watching a still 2D pixelated sprite does.

I just think that it was the first game in the series to utilize the 3D view as a means to get into the story more. I think that if ALttP were to be made in 3D rather than OoT, everyone would revere it as a groundbreaking game taking Link to the next level. ALttP did seem to have a better storyline, better game mechanics and a pretty good soundtrack, but we saw it in 2D, which didn't engage our senses in way that we felt when we first walked onto Hyrule Field in OoT. It's not a purely graphical superiority that makes people like OoT better, but it's what the graphics help convey that we love.

Many of you will say "compared to now, yeah, it is overrated, but it wasn't back then"

For those of you who will say that, this is my response. Stop living in the past, because it's in the past.
Exactly my point. By saying OoT is overrated I am not denying all the stuff it did in its moment, more than a decade ago.

I can see all the good stuff it brought being the first 3D, I can remember the magic feeling it had to me and many of us that got involved to the Zelda Saga thanks to it, the emotion of those who where since the NES following it see the successful transfer of the dungeons and quests to a 3D Hyrule. I can see what it mean to many.

But I agree with Zemen and what Kokiri Kid said some pages ago, you cannot be hooked forever in the past. The Legend of Zelda had to jump to 3D at some point in order to keep on being competitive. A Link to the past was fine, why did they do it? Because they noticed things were changing and Nintendo adapted with them, and taht is what it is doing with each game, portatil or not.

OoT had a very well deserved glory, but by today standars, to insist other games are bad because they weren't like OoT only block us to enjoy more other games.

I also agree with the person tahn mention that it surprises him that inside the Zelda ratio, there are other games that also were as good, if not more, yet, they received way less praise, for example Majora' Mask.

OoT definitely did not have the best plot of the series. It doesn't have the best gameplay of the series. It has VERY FEW plot twists and the items are very plain. Yes, it's a good start, but based on what there is now, it is very overrated.

Hmm, just defending OoT here:

I wonder if a time-travel plot could have been played out any better. Of course, time travel is what made the plot so endearingly interesting, as Link would experience events and meet people as a child and then see the same things seven years later except to find out that everything had changed drastically, almost always for the worst. Because of the time travel as well, Link basically paved the way for Ganondorf to obtain the Triforce, and for him to ruin the world and people he knew as a child, which also lead to me finding myself absorbed in the plot, because I knew all the evil could be traced back to me ultimately . Link's best friends as a child also turned out to be sages because of Ganondorf's evil plans, and Link saves these friends and finds out they still care about him even after him abandoning them for seven whole years. This intrigued me, to find out that people Link met in the past would become key in his destiny, and that they would all ultimately owe him their lives. And even the characters Link didn't know as well, such as the fisherman in Lake Hylia, were played out quite well along with the major characters. Of course, there were more connections in the past than just Link's old friends. Finding out that I could use the past to alter the future was another amazing concept. Seeing Nabooru being captured by the witches in the Spirit Temple as a child is a very good example. Finding out that Nabooru had been a slave for years when it only seemed like seconds to me, was quite fascinating. The factor of "abandonment" also comes back in to what I was thinking at the time.

I've talked about characters, but the time traveling element of the plot brought around much more than changes of the characters. Seeing what Link's actions had caused to the the land geographically was very interesting as well. Seeing Death Mountain even fiercer than before because of Ganondorf's actions (Which were again, traced back to Link), Zora's Domain being completely frozen over for the same reason, and Kokiri forest overrun with monsters because Link wasn't able to save the Great Deku Tree are some prime examples. All this occurred because of the time traveling element which the plot of the game introduced, and as I said, I found it very absorbing. There are other examples as well, including the condition of Castle Town, and how Hyrule Castle had been uterly destroyed and replaced by the Evil King's Tower. Time travel is what made the characters and places very interesting in the plot (To me anyway), and it was played out perfectly. Even the minor things, such as how Lon Lon ranch was taken over, and how you freed it and Malon, contributed to it. And on the topic of the time traveling plot element, you also mention plot twists. Ocarina of Time had more than your typical Zelda game. For instance, the whole time traveling plot element itself acted as a plot twist. Your best friend, Saria, turning out to be "The girl from the forest", was made into a sage, even though she started out in the beginning of the game being only that, a friend. This also applies to Darunia, and to a lesser extent, Ruto. The Zelda/Sheik twist is, of course, the most famous in the series, and remains more popular than anything else in the series today. Along with these and more, you must take into account that the more recent Zelda games haven't produced as many stunning plot twists as the ones I've mentioned. MM and WW seemed to try, but none of them ever matched up to the "Wow!" factor, and Twilight Princess just seemed to downright fail with plot twists all together.

With game play, of course it was a complete new field of expertise, that Eiji Aonuma would later call one of the most difficult projects he's ever worked on. However, time has proven that even though the first concept of something can be greatly improved with later games, doesn't mean that it won't stand a test of time and be completely over shadowed as newer games came along. Super Mario 64 of all games can teach this. Sunshine and Galaxy beat it in every possible way when it comes to game play, but this does not mean that Mario 64 can be trumped by Sunshine or Galaxy. A game's game play is what, in essence, can define it in every way possible. But, if this is kept true, how can some hold Mario 64 over Galaxy? The answer is quite simple: The style of the game play, even it can be made "better", might not be "better" to some at all. Many prefer Mario 64's game play just because it's their style of playing games, and it can't be made "better" to fit their style. I do believe the same can be said about, say, Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. Twilight Princess obviously handles better, but like I said, "better" isn't always what changes someone's gaming style. Because of the two differences of game play between Ocarina and Princess, some may prefer the "better" game play of Princess, while some prefer the "inferior" game play of Ocarina.

It all comes down to how you like to play your games, which completely differs from person to person, and I believe this holds relevance to the current discussion. One person's "better" game play may actually be inferior to a certain person's preference, which is why I don't think it can be compared from game to game as time goes on and produces more installments, and which is why people sometimes prefer older game play to newer game play. If "better" game play is what rules all, then all recent games would be considered much better than their predecessors, which means Galaxy would always be considered better than Mario 64, and that Metroid Prime 3 (Which again, handles much better than the Prime games ahead of it) would always be considered better than the original Metroid Prime. It just doesn't work like that. Older game play is preferred over newer all the time, which further adds to the discussion of what is "better" and whether or not the term "better" is actually relevant at all.

Just my opinions really. There aren't meant to be accepted as fact or anything, and are just my views on those two brought-up game elements.

EDIT: The edit was just for you Charge. :D Let's see what you have to say.

Last edited:

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Let me say this again, OOT is overrated in story and in gameplay.

For story OOT is good but falls short at how much story action there is present. Of course this is Nintendo following their “Gameplay before story” rule. OOT has many plot twists present but they lose a lot of their affect after you play the second time or play Twilight Princess or Alttp. Now, why I mention Twilight Princess is also why I think OOT falls short of Majora’s Mask. The problem is that OOT loses it’s charm when extras come around to take it’s place, that’s also why Alttp lost charm in it’s story because of how many remakes came, then came TP with the near exact same story as Alttp and OOT which causes the whole idea of the story to lose some heart. However, certain things in OOT are still memorable because of how they haven’t been done yet. For example: Darunia’s Dancing will always make me laugh, Bongo Bongo breaking out of the well is an awesome scene because no other Zelda did it. There are plenty of things in OOT that stand out to keep them fresh, however the story itself is tiring to see over and over.
Majora’s Mask is a game I like because of how original it was when it came to story. Link is looking for Navi (in the CT) after he had defeated Ganondorf and gets robbed of his horse and Ocarina by a thieving Skull Kid. When he catches up to the Skull Kid he is then transformed into a Deku Scrub in which he once again chases after Skull Kid. He then finds that he must save the world within the limit of three days before a moon crashes and kills everyone. You catch up to Skull Kid by the third day and you get your Ocarina back and turn back the clock at the same time. Now after you are back to normal you are free to save the world to your full potential and help everyone, before it all disappears.
I shall give an example to Majora’s uniqueness.
The first place you go is the Deku swamp which has lost it’s deity and thus the poison has taken over. The Deku princess has gone missing and the king is ready to kill anyone to save her. It seems like this is the end of the Deku kingdom as now they have no home and will surely die slowly and surely if they stay, and they have nowhere to go. It would seem Majora has chosen to slowly destroy the Deku’s before she would destroy them completely. It’s something like that that makes Majora one of the most unique villains and how she adds to the story. She is like a child who takes enjoyment in the deaths of everyone and doesn’t show much concern for who she kills and harms.
Ganondorf seems to be a villain who enjoys power and seems to keep his peons alive for his use. He also seems to have a care for life by keeping his people (Gerudo’s) alive. This gives him a side of kindness within him, especially in Wind Waker when he says that all he did was for his kingdom’s benefit. He also doesn’t seem to have a horrible regime as a king; while he rules his people with an iron fist he doesn’t seem to harm their ways of living unless they go against him and refuse to fall before him. Majora has no concern for life and rather enjoys killing them. However Majora just doesn’t kill them, she breaks their minds and hope before ending it all.
There are also plot twists in OOT that can be overshadowed by other games. The time travel twist is something that is more like a cool addition and makes you feel like “Oh yea, now we are getting somewhere“, but it’s a plot twist that gets you once because of how limited the surprise is. Let’s compare this to say, the biggest plot twist in Zelda History: Link’s Awakening.
You find yourself as Link who is on an idle quest to wake the guardian deity from his slumber so you can escape the island of Koholint. Nothing seems to get anywhere and you enjoy your time on the island. However, when on your quest you reach the Southern Face Shrine you find a most shocking discovery:
TO THE FINDER…
KOHOLINT ISLAND IS BUT AN ILLUSION…
HUMAN, MONSTER, SEA, SKY…
A SCENE ON THE LID OF THE SLEEPER’S EYE…
AWAKE THE DREAMER AND KOHOLINT WILL VANISH
LIKE A BUBBLE ON A NEEDLE…
CAST-AWAY YOU SHOULD KNOW THE TRUTH!

This is where the game is still shocking, you find that this island is all a lie which you must now destroy. This is no save the world quest, this is a genocide. This kind of plot twist gets you every time because of how it’s not just an upgrade to the story, it’s a bloody conflict of morals! Although the end it reveals that the island’s memory is the real story.
I agree that Time Travel adds to the story by giving different prospective and adds to character development. You find that your friends have become sages, however the first time or second time it can be kind of predictable after Darunia, because you expect the sages to be someone you knew from your childhood. OOT didn’t really focus much on the idea of sages though to much other than brief little pieces of dialogue which makes the characters less 3rd dimension. Nabooru was a really good idea to have as a sage and become a minion of Twinrova, it was a really good piece of plot twisting and worked well. The Zelda/Sheik thing was probably the second greatest twist in Zelda ever and I must say that every time Sheik is revealed as a dudette and not a dude I get surprised.
Another thing that time travel had that was used was the changes that would be made because of time. The thing is that Majora also had the same thing, everything changed because of time and would also go to normal poison because of a repeat in time. The thing that also influenced by time travel is who you can save. Even if you beat the game, you didn’t save everyone and they must go on like that.

Now, on the gameplay front I shall have to compare it to it’s closest counterpart which is Majora. Now OOT had revolutionized Zelda when it brought the gameplay to 3D. However, the problem is that OOT was not finished (if you think of what Ura Zelda was to be then OOT was incomplete.) OOT lacked in item usage and felt redundant whenever you were forced to never use an item when you were on a certain timeline where as in Majora’s Mask, all the items Adult Link could use was accessible by young Link. There was also the removal of items that could have been used if it had been finished which added to the stale factor.
There was also the dungeon design between it and it's counterpart. The dungeons themselves were small and lacked feasable puzzles in OOT. In Majora, the dungeons had been designed to challenge your mind and your reflexes even though there were fewer. The dungeons teased you with direct puzzles in MM and your skills of memory and common sense were put to the test. In OOT, it was very straightforward.
Now let me get to the over world and the levels designed around the dungeons. Often it feels like as if it’s all empty and not there, it just screams that there needs to be more, but there wasn’t. Majora felt finished and that you grabbed everything it could pull at you when it came to design, of course Majora was better since it had that expansion pack. In truth, OOT lacks a lot unless it had been given another year or perhaps that Ura Zelda was finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom