• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Is OOT overrated?

Is OOT overrated?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

UsayEldaZay

Designed with you in mind
No, just because a game title came out ten years ago doesn't mean we should just FORGET. It has CLEARLY earned its spot as the #1 Zelda title. Clearly. Well if we think it's so overrate then why don't we just ask for incredibly horrible Zelda titles? That way we wouldn't have to worry about this. Be thankful for games that are awesome like oot. And if you don't like it, then don't play it!

Amelie

Air Dancer
Yes... it is over rated. But... it is a very good game. It was the first 3D Zelda... but it borrowed lots from AlttP which is why AlttP is better. The thing that made OoT great for me is how good it was made and that it was 3D... other then that... its more like a 3D AlttP to me. The time travel thing was very interesting... but it just not have the same replay as AlttP or even other Zelda games ^^

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
but it borrowed lots from AlttP which is why AlttP is better. The thing that made OoT great for me is how good it was made and that it was 3D...

This is very true. (Something I find myself saying to your posts a lot, Amelie! :) ) If OoT was a 2-D sequel to ALttP, it wouldn't be at the status level it's at today. The fact that it was a benchmark in 3-D gaming puts it high on my list, and many others, but when it comes to overall content, I think ALttP did it best because it did it first.

I might have to say that Twilight is over-rated. It has great aspects, design, etc, but if it were titled something other than Zelda (like if it were just some other game series) I would have stopped playing early on. It wasn't all that "fun". It doesn't suck by any means, don't misunderstand me, but no deserving of the hype.

I happen to think that WindWaker is the most UNDER-rated Zelda. It might be the funnest one yet. Its not "sophisticated", its just FUN and extremely well made. Revisit it after Twilight and you'll find it more enjoyable than before.

I disagree with what you said about Twilight Princess, I think if it didn't have Zelda's name, I would've kept playing interested. There was nothing boring about it to me, nothing too tedious like I'm finding most of the latest Zeldas to be. Wind Waker - The triforce Shard gathering, the sailing and the boring dungeons. Phantom Hourglass - the dreaded Temple of the Ocean King.

I think Twilight Princess is definitely up in my top 3.

Back to the thread, Ocarina of time, was a great game in it's time and I will always remember it as one. It was my first Zelda and made an impact on me. Though I can't deny time has ravaged it's looks, and even it's feel to me. I can't get into it anymore, and I'm actually kind of tired of hearing about it.

So I think it wasn't overrated back then, it deserved all the hype and praise. Now? I think it's getting tiring and yes, overrated.

Well, I wouldn't say it's been surpassed, exactly, although Zelda games have come out that I liked better, personally. Well, one. Majora's Mask.

OoT was the first 3D Zelda, so naturally it's going to be favored by some. But that's not why I think others (and certainly not me) think it's the best. It was just in general designs better in terms of plot, gameplay, layout, etc. At least in my opinion. The only other Zelda that competes, at least for me, is Majora's Mask. Every other Zelda before and after has lacked something.

But I don't personally think Nintendo should be trying to surpass OoT. Measure up to it, sure. But... I don't know. I think if they keep trying to surpass it they're going to run themselves into a dead-end.

Yes. It is overrated.
It has been for quite a time.
And I doubt that will change in a while.

OoT still gets way too much attention, I think MM, TWW are as well done as OoT, yet I rarely see hypes about it, nor merchandise...

So I think it wasn't overrated back then, it deserved all the hype and praise. Now? I think it's getting tiring and yes, overrated.
I missed this, but I think it is close to the way I feel.

Last edited:

Amelie

Air Dancer
Its funny because to me TWW is actually better then OoT in some ways. If they added more dungeons and did not cut it short... it could have been truly great. It might have even been better then OoT to most.

And if TP had maybe a little harder enemies... not such a bland over world and a liner story and disign it could easily be better then OoT in my opinion. I would even say that MM is actually much much better then OoT in quite a few places ^^

link to present

Four Year ZD Member
I often think Nintendo realized how significant Ocarina of Time was, and by creating an entire fanbase centered strictly around one game could easily bring in the money - by selling the original game, collector's edition, and master quest. I think it is overrated when you view it in this aspect, because of how much has been spent around acknowledging a single game to boost it's importance. Although, this doesn't ignore that I find the game to be incredibly well done, and have no doubt in my mind why someone could call it the greatest game of all time.

Your so right about it because in my opinion zelda would never have sold as many game or made alot of money for nintendo if it was not for OoT

How can you say the OoT is overrated? OoT was like the best Zelda ever made. It's not all over-rated. It was perfect difficulty. Had a great lengh. And it was fun.

Amelie

Air Dancer
Errr... because its are opinions. I personally think AlttP and even MM and TWW are much better games then OoT. I wish I could say the same about TP. I already explained it in my other post though.

It was 3D. Thats what made it so great to me anyway. Like others said. If it was 2D... it would have been basically a remake of AlttP.

C

CuMcL

I think it is kind of overrated. Maybe you don't get the same feeling from it if you don't play it until 10 years after it's released, but as I was playing it, even though I was really enjoying it, I couldn't help but think it often got a bit too much credit.

LinkAlmighty

Waker of the Winds
No I do not think that OoT is overrated. It had many great aspects that still beats many games today.

It had a great story, many games today just don't have an interesting story that can compare to OoT's.
It's gameplay & engine set the standards for 3D games. Where would 3D games be today withhout OoT's target system?
It has some of the best music I've heard in a game. I find them more memorable than many other game's music.
Sure today's graphics destroy OoT's, but that's not really fair to a 10 year old game. Plus 10 years ago, OoT's graphics destroyed every other games graphics.
Finally there is the fact that without OoT, who knows what 3D gaming would be like today, it is the basis on which every 3D game after it is born.

And if you think I'm one of those "old school" OoT fanboys, think again. My favorite Zelda is WindWaker & I only got OoT for VC several months ago and I beat it in January. I grew up with the 2000s' games and OoT still made me realise how much it did for us. I'm just saying that it isn't overrated and that it has done more for 3D gaming than any other game, including my fav WindWaker. So I think it deserves its spot as one of the best games of all time.

I think that Super Mario 64 probably did more for the world of 3-D gaming then Ocarina of Time did.
I think that it was more difficult to make a 3-D Mario game then it was to make a 3-D Zelda game.
I mean in some ways OOT is just a 3-D ALTTP, where Mario 64 was in some ways a new direction for Video games in general.

Y

Yoshi_FTW

I think that Super Mario 64 probably did more for the world of 3-D gaming then Ocarina of Time did.
I think that it was more difficult to make a 3-D Mario game then it was to make a 3-D Zelda game.
I mean in some ways OOT is just a 3-D ALTTP, where Mario 64 was in some ways a new direction for Video games in general.

OoT didn't necessarily do anything for the gaming world, but it did more for the Zelda world than most of the other games. It set a standard for 3D Zelda games, and MM, WW, and TP have failed to meet those standards. OoT is currently the only 3D Zelda game worth playing.

Yes, WW is the biggest insult to all things Zelda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom