• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Is OOT overrated?

Is OOT overrated?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The problem that I have with OOT is that it seems to be the guild that is used to judge all of the new Zelda games.

I think that seems to contribute to the whole "overrated" deal. When a game is so persistently compared and used as a sort of "bar-line", for new and up-coming games, I feel it takes away from both games.
Especially after the third or more time....

I feel this especially with games like Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Both are so different from Ocarina of Time, that I don't feel it is quite right to compare them in such a manner. Whereas comparing stories and gameplay, I have no problem with, I think that their differences should be taken into account, rather a single game set the standard.

chrisbg99

OBEY THE FIST!
Only in that there are people who think it is absolutely perfect and will go out of their way to bash any other game that comes up.

Be that as it is, it is still my favorite 3D Zelda and is still just as fun to play today as it was 10 years ago.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Well, personnaly i don 't have a fave zelda title, because for me every zelda title has his own unique thing.

So i don 't get the feel that a new title is released with better graphics and quality ect... that you don 't feel the older games outdated. Thats what makes OOT so good (also Alttp).

In N64 Generation, OOT was already amazing, with graphics and gameplay, storyline...pretty much everything. the first 3d zelda game, it made a huge impact.
And then they made a Gold edition, MQ version, GC version and then VC. i also see that as proof how great OOt is.

So no i don 't think its overrated.

Now the people who like OOT,do they like it because it's a good game or do they like it for nostalgic reasons.

To me, OoT isn't necessarily nostalgic. I mean it is 10 years old, but I'm still kinda in the phase where everything that came before OoT is more nostalgic, like the NES and SNES titles. I still like it because it is a good game, and it does bring back good memories.

chrisbg99

OBEY THE FIST!
Now the people who like OOT,do they like it because it's a good game or do they like it for nostalgic reasons.

Of course it is a good game. Great even. I just finished playing it last November again and I enjoyed playing the game then as much I did the first time I stuck it in my N64.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
honestly, and ill probably get shunned for this, but OoT is one of my least favorite zelda games. it has horrible replayability unless you wait 5 years to play it again. its not a game i want to play over and over at all. the other games i love to play over and over because there is so much to do in those games but the side stuff in OoT is not amazing at all. its basically you just stick to the story line with little digression. its the digression that makes a game continuely playable. the only games i would say are worse than OoT is the original zelda, CD-I zeldas and the original FS.

Master94

...I come back someday.
What. ocarina of time is my favourite game. in all of the games that i have played.
Then you say that i'ts almost terrible as cd-i.

Now if and when Nintendo makes a Zelda game better then OOT,I bet that the OOT fanboys will still say that OOT is better simply for nostalgic reasons.
I personly think that Twilight Princess is better then OOT.

Chris

It has been awhile...
OoT has been the most popular game to come out in the Zelda series since 1999. I have never seen a more loved game ever in my life! I personally loved OoT when I got it. I would do anything to get my hands on it at first. My love for OoT still remains even after 4 years of it.

The question of if it will still be popular 10 years from now is a certain YES! This game is a massive creation considering it came out on the N64. I don't think people will lose intrest in it too fast.

General Lee

Classic Gamer
Ok don't get me wrong it is quite the game. On the other hand its quite over-rated. I mean sure its a great game and all, but still If you ask me its over-rated from what everybody says. I mean #! game EVER? I think easily top 10 maybe even 5 but not the best. Its just one of those games everybody has played, at thats what makes it fanbase so big. I mean Nintendo has released it 1...2...3...4 times? (N64, Collectors Edition, Master Quest, VC) I mean if you make that maybe ports of a great game, of course everybody will play it and it will get over rated. But again its still a great game, but not as great as everyone makes it out to be. And its all on opinion anyways, right?

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I think it's hard to topple on a lot of "best" lists because of the benchmark it set for it's time. Taking away the story, the characters, the fact that it's Zelda, and you've just got a great game mechanic. It didn't just SET the bar, it MADE the bar for the potential of 3-D gaming. I've played brand new games in 2008 and 2009 that didn't come close to the quality of game mechanics that OoT had. That alone gives it reason to be so highly praised.

Then, add the fact that it's a Zelda game, and it adds a whole new level to why it deserves the praise it does to a lot of people. I don't have to say here of all places how much people can enjoy Zelda. So, if you take this wonderfully crafted game engine, and put a wonderfully crafted world and story in it, then you've got something really special.

I think, though, it deserves the praise either for it's time, or because of what it did for gaming back in 1998. If you want to judge it's graphics and music and such against games now, then it fails horribly. But then, so would the original Super Mario Bros, and I would put this game up around the levels of OoT because it was a milestone game.

When it comes to the general concept of what OoT is though, and how many innovative ideas it brought to the table, then no, I don't think it's overrated at all.

Shnappy

derp
I would say that OoT is overrated compared to some other Zelda games. I'm not saying it was a bad game, I still think it is one of the greatest games of all time, I'm just surprised that some of the other Zelda games that were just as good and if not, better, got as much attention and popularity as OoT got. To give a personal opinion, I think that MM and ALttP were better games than OoT and should've gotten more praise, attention, and popularity.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
I voted no. I recently saw a list on the IGN site (it was about the 100 best games ever made), they put Super Mario Bros as the best game ever, as number one (Yes I am talking about the first one in the series!). Is Super Mario Bros overrated? No I don´t believe so. I believe few games have done as much for the gaming industry as that game. Such things have to be taken into consideration. Do the same things apply to Ocarina of Time? Well, I´m not sure but I get that feeling. It is a fantastic game in every possible way and I believe it has had great influence on games that have come after. So I would say that it´s not overrated at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom