• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Is Oot Out of Date or Wil It Ever Be

Well its obvious that oot is definatly one of the best zeldas ever.....its always being talked about being praised for amazing scenery and extravagant places...the dungeons were awesome....the monsters and battles could have been better....but still it was amazing.....and who all is excited about the remake for the nintendo 3DS i know i am and cant wait to play it....i for one am hoping for a twist in the game as they said it will be packed full of new and amazing stuff.....id like to see more side quest to....who would want for there to be like a romance involved this time or maybe a betrayal something to give the game uhh a lil more WHOA!!!

00steven

Yeah, that's right!
Ocarina of Time is a classic that has, and will, stand the test of time as one of, if not the greatest game ever.

Retsdob

Retsdob
It kind of is "out of date", but that's an odd term in video games. If it's still good it will become a classic, and even though its technology may not be up to date, it will still be just as good as ever, if not better for nostaligia purposes. I still find AoL as my favorite Zelda game even though it's so old.

Agreed I guess but AOL is a very hard Zelda game for me to play I just can't really get into it that well so Oot is my favorite so far and I'm super excited about the remake for the 3DS

Do not like the idea of a remake.
But the original OoT will never be out of date.
Its one of the game industry's greatest games.
It took just over 3 yrs to make.
You only have to play it to realise what a very special game it is.
Great music,cutscenes, loads of weapons,fantastic levels and so well designed etc etc.

I agree with you on the original one being Awesome and great in all ways and everything....
But the remake is having a lot more added in and everything and I am sure it will be just as good and no better

just with better graphics and less egde on things

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Out of date? No. I know lots of people who still love it and play it, including me! One of the greatest games ever shall not go out of date, it shall live on forever. Especially when they re-release it on the 3DS, that should extend its life span a lot. ;)

I believe it will be a veryy historical game one day, its still selling like crazy on wii. When it is released for the 3DS its gonna sky rocket to the top. No doubt about it.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
No game truly goes out of date. By console, yes, it is out of date, but by playability and game experience. Not at all! A game only becomes out of date if no-one is interested in it, but that never happens, because there's always someone who will be interested in it. ;)

OoT however, is slightly different. It'll last alot longer than some other games, due to the long running series, overwhelming popularity and because of how it has been etched into the minds and history of gamers everywhere.

Djinn

and Tonic
I think the main issue might be how the game looks to players today. Visually it does look a bit primitive, even when compared to 8 and 16 bit games. N64 graphics do not age well at all and this turns a lot of newer gamers off to the concept of playing it. And judgement can be clouded by nostalgia as well so some people might not see this.

To create the much more in depth 3D environment the creators had to take a few steps back. Then characters transformed from 2D but colorful and well made characters to polygonal blocks and geometric shapes. Hands were cubes with finger lines painted on them. The walls and forests were just that, flat walls with the texture painted on. now 16 bit sprites were also blocky in their own way but they were still much more animated, Link's hair would bounce around when he swung his sword or his hat would bop around when he ran. The polygons of OoT resembled an earlier era of computer graphics.

Money-For-Nothing.jpg

They resembled the blocky look of a mid 80's video regardless of what was gained from the transition or the innovations made​

The gameplay might have stood the test of time, even established how all the 3D sequels were to be played from that point on. But the graphics can be a pain for anyone who did not play it in 97. However I believe Wind Waker actually surpassed OoT in graphics, music, exploring and in depth storyline. OoT created the formula for how the games were to be played. Playing the game and understanding the time period it was created in is a major factor in ignoring it's limits and seeing the game for what it is as well. Newer gamers have as much trouble seeing through this as older gamers have with seeing past nostalgia glasses. Now when compared to other games of the same era I believe it holds up nicely. Very few games not titled Final Fantasy or Resident Evil are remembered or replayed much at all anymore. Even then those two series have drastically changed the formula for their games in recent years.

I believe OoT, like many other games such as Final Fantasy VIII or Donkey Kong Country, have aged similarly. If you played it at the time it was released then you can easily bring it back out and enjoy it some more. However if you are starting out playing them now, you might not enjoy it half as much as the people did when it was new. Years (or decades) after the WOW factor has subsided newcomers have a very different outlook when they see these older games. They do not seem to be so special or amazing, just another title among many. The "you had to have been there" argument is a large part of how you view something like this, be it a game, a show, a song, etc. Of course something from a past era will seem average when compared to everything that is available now. But when something revolutionary first appears there is nothing else like it around, it was the entity that changed the landscape for everything to come after. The experience is completely different depending on when you first encounter it.

That said I do look forward to the updates of the remake. A revival of the game could bring in an entirely new generation that would otherwise never bother with something older like that. As I do believe the original N64 version has aged badly in the looks department even if the gameplay is still great.

Kybyrian

In a sense, Ocarina of Time is very outdated. We can talk in many different ways, too. Mostly how the graphics are made. Modern gamers are used to modern graphics, and I've heard a lot of comments about how Ocarina of Time is a bad game because of the graphics. I think an opinion like that is really unfair because a lot of old games are very good, but I guess people will always have their own opinion. That also shows me that Ocarina of Time is, in fact, getting outdated. There are a lot of people out there that still enjoy the game and will play it over and over again and will never stop loving it because it never gets outdated in their hearts, but in the terms of modern gamers and the games they are accustomed to, the game is very outdated. Ocarina of Time was released long ago, and its time is long gone.

The same can be said with each passing generation, too. Games like the original Legend of Zelda, Adventure of Link, or games like Final Fantasy I, II, and old Mario games are now outdated as well. You can't expect modern gamers to pick up New Super Mario Bros. Wii and then go back and play one of the very first Mario games ever made; they just won't do it. The graphics don't appeal to them... and thus the game simply doesn't appeal to them at all. It feels weird. It's like a downgrade. There are a lot of people that can do that, but there are more who can't. The reason a lot of us don't feel that Ocarina of Time is outdated because we may have played it when we were very young, or when we did play it it was one of our firsts, or one of the better games we ever played. Most people went up from Ocarina of Time into an age of modern graphics, but people who start up here can't go back down as easily as we can.

With the slightly improved graphics we will be getting with the 3DS release of Ocarina of Time, I think that a lot of modern gamers will be drawn into it because it doesn't seem entirely low-scale in their judging of graphics. I say that Ocarina of Time 3D has a better appearance than games like Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks by far, so modern gamers should be able to pick it up and play it just fine. That being said, there will also be a lot of gamers who play Ocarina of Time 3D and won't be able to stand playing the old Nintendo 64 version because of the graphics. That's just how things go. It really is getting outdated, but it will always go on in the hearts of the old fans.

Kybyrian..i agree and disagree with your thought on it being outdated. I see what your saying about how people from modern times cant get into it because they are so use to more smooth and violent graphics. I also see what you are saying about it being easier for people from that time to being able to go back and forth playing games like that. (such as call of duty black ops, then going back to Oot)

What I don't agree on is that you said it is out of date in most peoples "heart" I wouldn't say in there heart but in there view it is not out of date but not as up to date as most games are. The Oot will never be lost in Gaming history it will be known as the FIRST 3 Demensional game, as well it should be know like that. With its remake for the 3DS I see this game once again Sky rocketing in the Gaming Market for both older Oot Players and the New generation. Most of the people that are excited about this remake and are going to buy such as (me) will be able to go from its 3ds version to Its 64 version with no problem it will be a fun game on the 3ds but having that small screen I see people still going back to the 64 Version.

Kybyrian

Kybyrian..i agree and disagree with your thought on it being outdated. I see what your saying about how people from modern times cant get into it because they are so use to more smooth and violent graphics. I also see what you are saying about it being easier for people from that time to being able to go back and forth playing games like that. (such as call of duty black ops, then going back to Oot)

What I don't agree on is that you said it is out of date in most peoples "heart" I wouldn't say in there heart but in there view it is not out of date but not as up to date as most games are. The Oot will never be lost in Gaming history it will be known as the FIRST 3 Demensional game, as well it should be know like that. With its remake for the 3DS I see this game once again Sky rocketing in the Gaming Market for both older Oot Players and the New generation. Most of the people that are excited about this remake and are going to buy such as (me) will be able to go from its 3ds version to Its 64 version with no problem it will be a fun game on the 3ds but having that small screen I see people still going back to the 64 Version.

First off, I don't know if you made a typo or what, but I said that the game isn't out of date in most gamers' hearts. I'm going to assume it was a typo. What I really mean is that most people have a nostalgic or emotional connection to Ocarina of Time from growing up with it over the years and it simply will never be out of date in terms of their emotions.

It wasnt exactly a typo I knew what you meant and most emotions as most people say you feel from the heart so thats what i put.
people will forever hold this game and era in a special place in there hearts sorry if i upset you.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Djinn said:
I think the main issue might be how the game looks to players today. Visually it does look a bit primitive, even when compared to 8 and 16 bit games. N64 graphics do not age well at all and this turns a lot of newer gamers off to the concept of playing it. And judgement can be clouded by nostalgia as well so some people might not see this.
I think it's a very shallow notion to judge a game by its graphics. I made a strong post a while ago on the topic of a game becoming "archaic":

DuckNoises said:
Great games are great, no matter when you play them. Something that every gamer should do is think retrospectively and appreciate what results have come from the past's innovations and see how they were be built upon. The same can also be said for the opposite; every gamer should also look into new games and see spots where things weren't built upon when they clearly should have been. A great game transcends time, and what a great game is made of can be very different things for different people. Nonetheless, there are universal gems, and people can spot them and see their brilliance regardless of how old they are. The same can be said of any person, place, or thing. An understanding of the past provides an uncanny understanding of the present, and that is something that should be embraced.

I find it absurd for someone to toss aside a game or be filled with prejudice because of graphics. In terms of emotional feedback, gameplay, sound, and story all exceed visual perception in terms of emotional feedback and reaction to the brain. Similar to how one who says someone's physical appearance is what makes them appealing is regarded as a shallow person, focusing on graphics in video games is narrow-minded. I spend a lot of my time playing video games, not gawking at the graphics all day; they certainly can add to the effect and appeal of the game, but the experience is primarily formed by narrative, characters, dialogue, and gameplay. Sound and graphics tend to augment those experiences, but they are largely secondary. If you show me a picture of a game, I'll probably show less of a reaction than if you play the music of that segment of the game more, and that's what tends to draw out all those experiences again for me. Those experiences are gameplay and story line; the notion is very anthropomorphic, but I remember a game by the experiences I had with it, analogous to how I would remember a person for who they were and what they did, rather than how they looked.
This goes for initial impressions, too; "you can't judge a book by its cover" is a common idiom that expresses this. What causes a reaction for me in a game is not any visual stimuli, but rather what is being represented by those visuals -- the concepts behind them. The visuals are merely a tangible representation of the experience, not nearly as powerful as the experience itself. This is why Ocarina of Time remains such a juggernaut of a game today as it was back in 1998; it's because of its adeptness in the forming of an experience, namely gameplay and story, that brought OoT where it is today, and why it remains so beloved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom