• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Nintendo Making a Mistake by Releasing Fire Emblem Warriors on Switch and 3DS?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
THis is what worries me the most. Any good ideas for the Switch version will be scrapped because they can't be made work on the 3DS. I want the Switch version to have features the Switch can make good use of. Not just only features that both consoles can use. I don't want the Switch's game features dumbed down to only things that the 3DS can also do.
Sm4sh was like what you want. The Wii U version was irrefutably superior and had a lot more features such as 8 Player Smash. Maybe FE Warriors will too. And even if not, that just means 3DS players aren't getting screwed over and there's nothing wrong with that imo.

Sm4sh was like what you want. The Wii U version was irrefutably superior and had a lot more features such as 8 Player Smash. Maybe FE Warriors will too. And even if not, that just means 3DS players aren't getting screwed over and there's nothing wrong with that imo.
Very true. However if there was no 3DS version the WiiU would have gotten Ice Climbers.
Also the single player in the 3DS game was better than in the WiiU game. All the single player modes in the WiiU version were so terribly bad. The multiplayer though was good, better on the WiiU by far.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Even if this can hurt Nintendo, more options are good for consumers. A lot of people are going to want to hold on to their 3DS and many of them are going to be reticent to jump on the Switch quite yet. Now Ninty could force them to buy a Switch by making games exclusive to it but that would be a dick move.

Ultimately Ninty could phase out the 3DS in favor of the Switch but I don't think they have to do that. The 3DS has enough of an install base that it can remain relevant and I don't foresee much in the way of competition between the two systems especially if games are ported between them. This didn't hurt the 3DS or WiiU at all with games like Hyrule Warriors, Smash Brothers, and Monster Hunter on both systems... even with cross platform play!! Which has ever been little more than a pipe dream and a foregone conclusion until Ninty started doing it.

I don't think Switch necessarily has to make the 3DS irrelevant. The DS line should end here though, but there's no need to discontinue the 3DS. Especially so soon.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Also.... This is exclusive to N3DS, which still has a really, really small userbase. It's isn't the 60 million people that own the N3DS, in reality, probably only 5 million at the most own the N3DS.

So they really aren't competing that much. And FE Warriors will inevitably be bought on Switch over N3DS.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
First, the Switch isn't a hybrid. I would have thought that after really seeing the thing, people would accept reality. It's a home console. That's why yes, this is a mistake. The Switch needs games that are going to draw potential customers. You could [if you tried really hard and were disingenuous] defend Nintendo releasing Wii U games on the 3DS because "the Wii U had 10 owners and the 3DS had millions" but you can't say that now. The Switch needs games that you can only get on the Switch. The 3DS is fine. It doesn't need help.

it's the Switch that will be needing help, and releasing on two different systems is a mistake. Besides, if trends are followed, the Switch version will be many times superior to the 3DS version in almost every way.

I don't think the Switch is going to replace the 3DS. A lot of people still do. I'll be happy to admit if I'm wrong in the future, but I honestly don't see Nintendo just dropping the 3DS because the Switch is coming, because the Switch isn't a handheld, it's a console.

First, the Switch isn't a hybrid. I would have thought that after really seeing the thing, people would accept reality. It's a home console. That's why yes, this is a mistake. The Switch needs games that are going to draw potential customers. You could [if you tried really hard and were disingenuous] defend Nintendo releasing Wii U games on the 3DS because "the Wii U had 10 owners and the 3DS had millions" but you can't say that now. The Switch needs games that you can only get on the Switch. The 3DS is fine. It doesn't need help.

it's the Switch that will be needing help, and releasing on two different systems is a mistake. Besides, if trends are followed, the Switch version will be many times superior to the 3DS version in almost every way.

I don't think the Switch is going to replace the 3DS. A lot of people still do. I'll be happy to admit if I'm wrong in the future, but I honestly don't see Nintendo just dropping the 3DS because the Switch is coming, because the Switch isn't a handheld, it's a console.

That's PR marketing. Iwata merged their handheld and console divisions in 2013 (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ndheld-and-console-teams-in-historic-shake-up), so Nintendo has no home console or handheld divisions now, they're all one. This means to develop a successor for 3DS will split what has been merged the last 4 years. Since you didn't pay a whole lot of attention during the Wii U/3DS era, let me enlighten you. There were delays for BOTH systems. The 3DS saw Animal Crossing get delayed (originally planned for a 2011/2012 release, it was pushed back to 2012/2013 http://animalcrossingworld.com/2012...no-listing-of-it-in-the-2012-release-for-3ds/), Wii U saw delays (Breath of the Wild http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Legend-Zelda-Wii-U-Delayed-70962.html), and now Nintendo develops for a third platform- mobile. Guess what, developing for that third has now led to more delays as Animal Crossing mobile has been delayed (http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/31/14452610/animal-crossing-mobile-launch-date-delayed). So yeah, continue to try to develop for 3 platforms, and you'll see headlines like the ones posted over and over and over, because again, like they showed during the Wii U/3DS era, they can't handle that kind of massive development, and now they have mobile in the mix. Face it, mobile is going to erode part of the 3DS's market, and Switch is going to erode the rest of it, the market can't handle that many portable devices, let alone a shrinking market as the DS/PSP combined for over 235 million units, while the 3DS/Vita have combined for 80 million- that's CRAZY, and mostly due to mobile eating it away.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
That's PR marketing. Iwata merged their handheld and console divisions in 2013 (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ndheld-and-console-teams-in-historic-shake-up), so Nintendo has no home console or handheld divisions now, they're all one. This means to develop a successor for 3DS will split what has been merged the last 4 years. Since you didn't pay a whole lot of attention during the Wii U/3DS era, let me enlighten you. There were delays for BOTH systems. The 3DS saw Animal Crossing get delayed (originally planned for a 2011/2012 release, it was pushed back to 2012/2013 http://animalcrossingworld.com/2012...no-listing-of-it-in-the-2012-release-for-3ds/), Wii U saw delays (Breath of the Wild http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Legend-Zelda-Wii-U-Delayed-70962.html), and now Nintendo develops for a third platform- mobile. Guess what, developing for that third has now led to more delays as Animal Crossing mobile has been delayed (http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/31/14452610/animal-crossing-mobile-launch-date-delayed). So yeah, continue to try to develop for 3 platforms, and you'll see headlines like the ones posted over and over and over, because again, like they showed during the Wii U/3DS era, they can't handle that kind of massive development, and now they have mobile in the mix. Face it, mobile is going to erode part of the 3DS's market, and Switch is going to erode the rest of it, the market can't handle that many portable devices, let alone a shrinking market as the DS/PSP combined for over 235 million units, while the 3DS/Vita have combined for 80 million- that's CRAZY, and mostly due to mobile eating it away.

I'm not actually sure what this post has to do with what I wrote. Not trying to be rude, just not understanding why you're quoting me.

What you say about there being only one gaming division is all fine and good, but the fact is that there are still two separate platforms—the Wii U (as of today) and the 3DS, and they had both been getting games, many of which were different.

What we'll really have to wait and see is if Nintendo starts making games for both, the 3DS and the Nintendo Switch, and then gradually stops making 3DS games and only making Switch games. If that happens, then truly the divisions will have merged in every sense of the word, and (as I said above) I'll admit I was wrong and admit that the Switch is a hybrid.

But for right now—as far as we know—the Switch and the 3DS are going to be different platforms: one console, one handheld.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom