• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Minish Cap close to OoT?

After replaying through MC again after several years i can't help but feel this is a game set close to Ocarina of time. We have Lon Lon ranch, Malon and her dad Talon. later on Dampe, the gravekeeper. all characters that were in ocarina of time. so is it close in the timeline? And then another thing that i wonder, you see the sky tribe, and they even say the minish came from the sky. Could this be a later Skyloft? I'm close to finishing the game again now, so who knows who or what other Zelda tie ins I might see.

where-does-breath-of-the-wild-fall-on-the-zelda-timeline.jpg

Only Four Swords separates them. Its still far enough away that the Malon you meet isn't the one in OoT though.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I wouldn't take any of the Capcom games as being connected to the series in any real way apart from just in this poorly thought out timeline. There are a few games that were intended to connect but most of the others are just thrown in.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Minish Cap has your standard references and call backs to other LoZ games without any direct connections... so in that respect Minish Cap is as "connected" to the rest of the series as any Zelda game is that doesn't make any clear direct connection to another game in the series.

For instance, Ocarina of Time is clearly connected to Majora's Mask since it's the same characters (Link, Zelda, Skull Kid, Mask Salesman) and Twilight Princess (Skull Kid again, Temple of Time, Hero's Shade) and even A Link to the Past due to Ocarina being a depiction of the Imprisoning War. Zelda II is a direct sequel to the first LoZ. PH and ST are sequels to Wind Waker which is itself only loosely related to Ocarina by vague references to the Hero of Time and direct references to the sages from Ocarina.

But there are no clear connections between the Oracle games & Link's Awakening and the rest of the series. Nor is there any connection between the first two games the rest of the series. It's easy for me to brush off SS because it has tenuous connections to the rest of the series.

But the theory of Minish Cap being close in proximity to Ocarina of Time is a decent one based on the games having the same characters. However, the NPCs that debuted in Ocarina are only duplicated in Majora's Mask because Termina is a parallel world to Hyrule. So why would the same characters be in Minish Cap? They're all the same age, and Dampe is alive which would suggest that if Minish Cap is closely relative to Ocarina it would be taking place during Link's childhood. Perhaps the characters in Minish Cap are all descendants of Ocarina of Time's denizens and bear the same names. But keep in mind that the character Anju from the Minish Cap bears the name of the lady who runs the Stock Pot Inn from Majora's Mask, whereas in Ocarina she has no given name and is just unofficially known as "The Cucco Lady." Maybe the two share the same name regardless...

One major inconsistency is that Minish uses Wind Waker's aesthetic style. Minish Cap's Zelda could be Ocarina's Zelda given that Minish Zelda uses the look for Wind Waker's chibi Zelda whose appearance was based of Adult Zelda from Ocarina, but young Zelda doesn't dress like that in Ocarina of Time. Perhaps she's a slightly older child Zelda who is starting to adopt the royal garb she wears as an adult?

Minish Cap's Hyrule is also clearly different than Hyrule from Link's childhood in Ocarina of Time. It could perhaps take place in a different region of Hyrule from Ocarina of Time and the characters settled there? It's a stretch.

Minish Cap's Hyrule could also just be a parallel dimension Hyrule even if that's never explicitly stated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom