• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Merman a Zora?

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I was Google Image searching river zoras and saw an image of Merman from Wind Waker. That got me thinking really hard for a total of seven minutes. Could it be possible that Merman is a descendant of the Zora tribe?

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
The Zoras supposedly evolved into the Rito tribe, so I would have to say "probably not".

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
The Zoras supposedly evolved into the Rito tribe, so I would have to say "probably not".

But who's to say that Merman isn't some other form of Zora? There were both river and lake Zoras, so he could have evolved still. Or maybe he's like the monkey and hasn't fully evolved into it's final stage.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
But who's to say that Merman isn't some other form of Zora? There were both river and lake Zoras, so he could have evolved still. Or maybe he's like the monkey and hasn't fully evolved into it's final stage.

Potentially, hence the "probably" in "probably not". But I'm not sure how monkeys haven't evolved into their final stage. What is their final stage? Super Saiyan?

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Potentially, hence the "probably" in "probably not". But I'm not sure how monkeys haven't evolved into their final stage. What is their final stage? Super Saiyan?

The Theory Level here... it's OVER 9000!!!!!!
Well, if they haven't evolved into their final form, then we're not yet sure what they will become. Maybe something further along the timeline? I haven't played FSA and their aren't that many types of NPCs in FS. (This is concerning the TP monkeys. I don't think there are any monkeys in WW)
Concerning the theory itself, I still doubt it. Merman looks more like Jabu-Jabu than the Zora. Maybe the two of them share a common ancestor?

D

Deleted member 14134

That got me thinking really hard for a total of seven minutes.

Is this a new record? XD

Perhaps different tribes of Zora evolved different ways. Though it doesn't make sense that it came from nowhere. Unless mermen were alive in a separate ocean which got connected to the great sea when the world was flooded.

My main idea is that the merman could be a result of interspecies breeding. Perhaps a Zora got knocked up by a Hylian and together created a cross between Zora and human? It's not impossible, especially since Ruto had the HoTs for Link.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
What character exactly? I don't recall a Merman. Do you mean the fish dudes that give you map pieces when you feed them? Wiki is no help.

I would say the fish dudes are their own species. Maybe the common everyday fish evolved the ability to talk and be intelligent. And the zoras became ritos, so...yeah.

And Bok Choy I REALLY don't want that mental image. If there was a zora/hylian hybrid, not only would it be a miracle that it exists since zoras and hylians are completely different species with different reproduction methods(one lays eggs, one gives birth to live young...remember the zora eggs in MM?), but it would most likely be sterile like mules and ligers.

Ganondork

goo
Oh the world flooded? Better evolve from a fish into a bird!

It makes sense, given the fact that it was a sudden shift from fresh water that the Zoras thrived in, to the salt water of the Great Sea. I'm not entirely sure how they evolved from Zora to Rito though. Maybe Valoo gave them a hand? But the thing is, had they not evolved, they would have died. Had they been eased into the salt water, they could have adapted, but that sudden shift would prove fatal, I would think.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
Having some connection to the Zoras would be a pretty neat back story.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
First off, we have factual information about Zoras evolving, or a better word, adapting, to become the Rito tribe:

Aonuma: "We created the Rito as the evolved form of the Zora that appeared in "Ocarina of Time" and the Korogs as what the Kokiri became once they left the forest. They appear different, but they have inherited their blood."

Why the change though? It's obvious that the flood played a vital role in all of this and it's basically survival of the fittest in a way. Zoras had to adapt to fit the new surroundings. Zoras are quite domesticated and reside typically within rivers - the only anomaly was the Great Bay in Majora's Mask. However, that was still shallow water one could potentially argue. Anyway, I think the Great Bay also gives us an insight into how Zoras would suffer if they were in fact exposed to large warm ocean waters. Remember how the tribe was in turmoil when we first set out sights on the bay? This could have been their fate in TWW had they not adapted. I hate to bring in real life scenarios, but river creatures--in most cases--wouldn't survive in the ocean. The salinity, the depth, the food, the weather, the temperature, the threat from predators and competition for food. You also have the fact that the Zora's need a safe place to store their eggs to ensure the race thrives - this would be under severe threat in an ocean habitat.

I'd like to think those, what I listed above, are all valid reasons for the adaptation the tribe had to make in order to survive. Why birds though? Well Hyrule has basically become one big ocean with vast isolated and segregated Islands. Communication would diminish greatly, which is why Hyrule needed a race to fit the role of a messenger: the Rito tribe. There was a reason for this transformation and I really doubt that 99% of the tribe made the transition to human-bird hybrids while the odd Zora turned into a fish. Evolution doesn't really work that way.

If we were going to go with this though, I would have a number of problems. The first being the appearance. Merman [Fishman] doesn't appear anything like a Zora - there is literally no sign of any connection between them rather than them being water based animals. Zoras have one definitive trait in my opinion - they're hybrids. This is what makes them so unique. They can walk on land and do humangly things, while they also have the traits of a sea creature. The Rito tribe is somewhat similar, they are very human like, but they share many similarities to bird-like animals. (I'm mainly taking about the civilised Zora race and not the enemies seen in the older games; however they too shared this hybrid-like trait.)

The only connection I can really see is the fact that Fishman can swim; however that's not enough evidence to really convince me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom