• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Master Quest EASIER Than Normal OoT?

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I've been playing through Master Quest recently, and I've been breezing through the dungeons... even without a walkthrough! So far, it really feels like they removed the more frustrating aspects of the game and replaced them with simple puzzles.

The Deku Tree was definitely harder than the original, I have to give them that.

Dodongo's Cavern actually seems easier because you can get up to the second level early on, and then it's just a matter of traversing the dungeon in reverse to get all the items. Overall, it's not really any harder than normal, especially since they removed a lot of random Keese. The Blade Trap room is actually easier, because all the traps are removed, and it has three blocks where all you have to do is move them so you can light three torches that are clearly at the perfect height to reach with those blocks.

Jabu-Jabu's belly... well, that's a mixed bag. It COULD be hard if you didn't think to use Bombchus (or find them from one of the cow switches), but that was my first instinct because of the fact that I used to spend a lot of time imagining what a puzzle involving Bombchus might look like if they made one... and it usually involved rocks in a place you couldn't reach, hiding a switch. When I heard a cow mooing (knowing that cows were switches) and saw oddly placed rocks that Navi turned green over... well. They did move all those annoying claw things into one room, though, and didn't force you to carry Ruto very far at all.

There's no denying that they made the Forest Temple easier. You don't have to face the Wolfos at the entrance, and they basically HAND you the boss key upfront because they make it the first door you unlock, and don't have the hallway initially twisted. As soon as I saw them sending me into that room without getting the bow first, I thought to myself, "Hopefully you moved that Boss Key, because otherwise you're just handing it to me." And then, sure enough... it sends you straight past the rooms where you get the Map and Compass, and into the unchanged area where you get the Fairy Bow. After that point, it's easy. But then again, the Forest Temple wasn't that hard to begin with after you understood the twisting halls. Another amusing point is draining the well. When I first came across that well in OoT, I thought to myself... "Okay, the well has to be drained. It's too deep to conceal a conventional switch, and there's nothing on the outside nearby. They're either going to do a Hookshot check and place the switch to drain it on a high balcony in this room, or they're going to place an eye switch just beneath the water line to do a Bow check, because they know it's the last place most people will look, due to the very water they're trying to drain." So as soon I saw that the balcony switch was gone, I knew they must have traded it in for the eye switch... and they did!

As for the Fire Temple... it's downright amusing. They made it easier than the Deku Tree. All you have to do is use Din's Fire a few times to light torches, use a few more makeshift Fire Arrows via torches, and fight an Iron Knuckle, immediately followed by the dungeon's mini-boss. Then it just hands you the Megaton Hammer and completely unravels the whole dungeon. On top of that, they get rid of any Lava Slugs and Keese that might normally be a nuisance so you can focus on a few new puzzles, and just throw in a few sparse Lizalfos (that can't even reach you most of the time, BTW). They even get rid of that annoying Wall of Flames, and allow you to skip the last two floors of the dungeon since you already have the Megaton Hammer! I can hardly see how one can construe this as "harder." Unless one thinks that having to fight even one Iron Knuckle and deal with a few Din's Fire/makeshift Fire Arrow puzzles (and a couple that check to see if you know that a Hookshot can grab onto a torch) is more frustrating than complicated timing puzzles and drawing out the dungeon.

All in all... I'm beginning to wonder if Master Quest was actually meant to have harder dungeons, or merely different dungeons. The only consistent pattern I'm seeing is that a lot of the action/timing obstacles are replaced with puzzle-based obstacles, and a few harder enemies are thrown in to replace several easier ones.

That seems to be easier to me, but that might just be a quirk of mine... since I'm good with puzzles and poor at dealing with timing and quick action, as well as finding it easier to fight one or two strong enemies than several easy ones (since my attention doesn't have to scatter).

So, what happens? Do they make it easy at first to lull you in, and then put all the difficulty in the final few dungeons? Why exactly is it considered harder?

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
i thought MQ was much harder then the original especially when you get to the spirit temple but the only part i found easier was the Water Temple they really dumbed it down

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
i thought MQ was much harder then the original especially when you get to the spirit temple but the only part i found easier was the Water Temple they really dumbed it down

Indeed. I've just gotten there, and I have to agree with you. The Spirit Temple in MQ already has me frustrated to tears within the first three rooms. ;_;

It looks like my theory was right...

Do they make it easy at first to lull you in, and then put all the difficulty in the final few dungeons?
I can answer my own question now: YES.

The Water and Shadow Temples weren't any harder than I remember them being, and I was in fact able to beat those without a walkthrough. Strangely, I remembered Morpha being the hardest boss, but this time around it gave me less trouble than Phantom Ganon and Volvagia. The Shadow Temple was difficult enough that I ended up using all four of my bottled fairies before reaching the boss, though, but I still found everything with no problem. If I didn't know better, I'd say they didn't change those two temples at all, because all the landmarks/puzzles I remember were in roughly the same places... but the truth is, I know my memory of those areas was probably just hazy enough that I didn't notice the differences.

So, Master Quest earns it's name by making the Spirit Temple so tough that you'll be sorry you played the game up to that point, because you're so close to beating it and now there's a good chance that you won't be able to do so. Even if you take the wound to your pride and use a walkthrough for the first time during your entire playthrough, you find it doesn't help much because they've put in the kind of obstacles you can't reason your way around. Everything about the new Spirit Temple is completely horrible and unfair. First, the bombchus. They only give you 10 to start the temple with, but you can easily use them up before you figure out how to aim at the difficult rock locations, and then you have to keep going between the Spirit Temple and the Bombchu Bowling game (where you have to play until you win more Bombchus). After that, I get placed in a room with a spinning platform and a Stalfos that keeps knocking me off the edge, and seems invincible. And even the first room is awful because you have to fight Lava Slugs that you can't even hurt without a Spin or Jump attack (even then, you have to use a Deku Nut to extinguish the flame!).

Needless to say, I'm quite sorry I played MQ, and I'm probably going to quit now. I'm not an OoT master, and I don't care to invest the time necessary to become one, which I would basically have to in order to deal with this Temple. Yes, I'm really going to quit even though I only have one temple left to go. That's how frustrating it is. ;_; Ah, I was stupid to waste time playing a worthless 12 year old game anyway. What was I thinking? I guess this is what I get for it.

So, the answer to this question is... It's probably easier than normal if you're talking about Dodongo's Cavern, the Forest Temple, the Fire Temple, the Water Temple, or the Shadow Temple. But the Deku Tree, Jabu-Jabu's Belly, and Spirit Temple are considerably harder than normal. With Deku Tree and Jabu-Jabu, the increase in difficulty isn't excessive, because those were rather easy levels to start with. The same cannot be said for the Spirit Temple.

It's funny, though... I always remembered the Spirit Temple as being rather relaxing to play through after the frustrating Water and Shadow Temples. That's now a ruined memory.

Last edited:

Starchain1

A star
Well really i think master quest is a little harder but you probaly know a few things about the temples already due to the fact they didnt change every thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom