• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Majora's Mask Underrated?

Is it underrated?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
Oh, Definetly. Majora's Mask brought so many great things to the table, and all people thought of was "It has a time limit" and "It has too little dungeons".

Hey, it's called experimenting with gameplay. Nintendo Was trying to do new things, like getting masks, and the subquests, etc., and I personally think they suceeded. I would like to see some kind of sequel to MM (maybe him going back to Termina in some way?) One can only hope.

Overall, people didn't appreciate the type of gameplay they tried, and i am dissapointed that they weren't pleased.

I think that Majora's Mask is underrated, I think it is a brilliant game and I have only just finished the Woodfall temple, Even though it is not the hardest of the Zeldas that doesn't really make a difference, I thought Twilight Princess was a great game yet it was rather easy.

Majora's Mask has had the major problem though of being a sequel, That is in a very large shadow of its prequel. OoT was an excellent game and that was going to be hard for the team at Nintendo to live up to. Even though I still prefer OoT and TP to MM I still think that Majora's Mask was an epic game, It was a dark Zelda, As you would notice in some of my recent posts I have stated why I like TP so much as I like the fact that it is quite dark.

OoT was an excellent game and was hard to live up to so many Zelda fans were greatly disappointed, They also thought the idea of not changing you tunic to match your surroundings like in so many Zelda games but instead the tunics were swapped out for a series of Masks, I liked the masks, I think it will be interesting to be able to play as a Goron of a Zora.

In my opinion Majora's Mask is definatily way way underrated because of OoT. I think it is unfair on MM :(.

G

Giant'sKnife

MM was an amazing just like OoT. Both had great stories and endings and I cant get enough of either of them.

My opinion is that yes, it is underrated, but not because of its gameplay. Majora's Mask simply was overshadowed by Ocarina of Time, plus the fact that it came a little late in the N64 era. I don't quite remember if it came with an expansion pak or not, but I'm leaning towards that it did (or else you couldn't even play the thing).

I remember the first time I rented Majora's Mask. First, the store didn't give me the expansion pak, so I had to go back and get it. That alone made me feel kinda weird about the game itself. But the biggest thing was the difficulty of the game. I never did get my ocarina back. I would wander around for the entire three days just doing random stuff because I couldn't figure out how to get the thing back. This made me pretty much hate the game and not even attempt to pick it back up for many years. It wasn't until I got the Zelda: Collector's Edition disc for the Gamecube that I finally made myself set down and beat it. I realized that it was, and still is, a fantastic Zelda title. But many will probably never know it because its outdated now and there aren't too many regular gamers who are going to get all that pumped about it.

It is underrated. Usually because, yes, like many people said, Oot was a lot more popular, there were only 4 dungeons,Their items only being an iteration of an Elemental Arrow or the Bow itself. If you don't do the sidequests, the game is too short, and the requirement of an Expansion Pak to show more stuff. However, a load of masks and items, very lengthy dungeons, kickass bosses, and awesome sidequests make this game good. Not wonderful, just good.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I think it is underrated, but on the other hand I can understand why people would dislike it.

The reason people underrate the game is because they just try to go through the main quest without taking time to explore and uncover the side quests. So much of this game is in the side quests that if you focus on the main quest... it just seems like a cheesy OoT knockoff designed solely to accommodate 4 new dungeons and a few mask features that didn't make it into OoT.

But there's a lot of things to discover if you take the time to uncover the side quests. Each character has a story to tell that slowly unfolds over the course of the game, as you become more able to help them. This is hinted at by the Japanese title of the game, which translates as "Zelda: Side Story."

In my opinion, TP is kind of the opposite of MM. It puts everything on the main quest, and has a poverty of world-building and side quests. A Zelda game that had MM's side quests AND TP's main quest would be AMAZING, but it's more realistic to hope they just create a balanced game like OoT or WW again.

Steve

5/19/13
As many have stated, it was cast over by it's predecessor which at the time was revolutionary, and MM was viewed as a half-fast sequel. I once believed this up until replaying it when re-released for the Virtual Console. Then I realized how great of a game it was, even better than Ocarina of Time, so I certainly won't make that mistake of being so judgmental ever again. I'm also finding I'm not the only one in this situation, as the number of Majora's Mask fans seem to be increasing since then, so it seems to be getting less underrated as time goes by.

Tom

You can't say wether it is or isn't underrated using only your thoughts on it. It's okay to like it, and to consider it a great title, but still, even if you love it, you can't simply create excuses for it to be supposedly "underrated".
"Left behind OoT's shadow"; make me laugh... or cry, but this still isn't a place for drama.
I won't say I don't think it's underrated, but it's definetely nothing to do with OoT.

Besides coming late in the N64 era, and the fact that many people didn't get to buy it and play it, Majora's Mask was, to many gamers another of Big N's ways to make money out of a famous game.
It can be said that MM has the wrong impression on its face to most of gamers who haven't fully played it, but this infounded underground syndrome does not justify the "it's all OoT's fault" like sentence.

Ikana

Trollkastel
To me it's my favorite Zelda game so fare and I thinks it has the best plot and is the darkest Zelda game.But thats my opinion many people think that while other people don't.

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
I'd like to agree with you, but I won't. True, you make excellent points, but have you seen the mangas, the walkthroughs, the fan-videos, and everything else? People may think of MM as being underrated, but it only looks that way because it is right after OoT. Who would underrate it if that weren't the case, but it is. Nintendo didn't think that whole thing out completely through before that released the game. That could be one of their biggest mistakes, but guess what? They got through it. They made millions off the game. It was one of the most popular the year it came out. It was impossible to find anywhere for years. And you say it is underrated. Sure, I have said it is too short, but I can tell you that it was a very well-done game when you think about it. The storyline was perfectly written, and the new characters were even better. The game made a lot of money and was not underrated no matter what game it came after and before.
You are whining like everyone else about how the game was to short or something else, but you are complaining about how it was shown as much attention. Look at all of this:
http://th03.deviantart.net/fs39/300...a__s_Mask_Art_Project_by_Hinata_teh_Lefty.jpg
http://www.rpgfan.com/fanart/2003/07-30/mark_lin-01.jpg
http://th09.deviantart.net/fs49/300W/f/2009/182/1/d/Majora__s_Mask_by_boba2009.jpg
http://i.neoseeker.com/fa/deku_link_435408_PQrt0.jpg
http://www.zeldauniverse.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/broken-link-final.jpg
These are just examples of the fan art people spend hours on creating. The game is underrated. Please. That is a joke. The game has gotten more attention than you want to believe. There are people out there who refuse to take minutes to search just facts, or fan art, fanfictions, fan videos, walkthroughs, anything, just to see how popular it actually is. MM could be more popular than OoT, if it was a little longer. Time was never an issue in the game, you are correct. Sure people complained about one minor thing, that was time. Time is always a problem, even now.
I don't want to spend forever on something that can take me minutes to explain, but don't ever say that a game is underrated just because it was crammed in there. It's just not right.

(Note: I didn't mean to sound rude. If I come off that way, then I apologize.)

^ Good Post.

Makes some very good points as well.

MM was released while the N64 was being phased out as well, which could have affected that.

It will be overshadowed by OoT and the differences, such as the time limit, scare off a lot of people too.

Ikana

Trollkastel
I'd like to agree with you, but I won't. True, you make excellent points, but have you seen the mangas, the walkthroughs, the fan-videos, and everything else? People may think of MM as being underrated, but it only looks that way because it is right after OoT. Who would underrate it if that weren't the case, but it is. Nintendo didn't think that whole thing out completely through before that released the game. That could be one of their biggest mistakes, but guess what? They got through it. They made millions off the game. It was one of the most popular the year it came out. It was impossible to find anywhere for years. And you say it is underrated. Sure, I have said it is too short, but I can tell you that it was a very well-done game when you think about it. The storyline was perfectly written, and the new characters were even better. The game made a lot of money and was not underrated no matter what game it came after and before.
You are whining like everyone else about how the game was to short or something else, but you are complaining about how it was shown as much attention. Look at all of this:
http://th03.deviantart.net/fs39/300...a__s_Mask_Art_Project_by_Hinata_teh_Lefty.jpg
http://th09.deviantart.net/fs49/300W/f/2009/182/1/d/Majora__s_Mask_by_boba2009.jpg
These are just examples of the fan art people spend hours on creating. The game is underrated. Please. That is a joke. The game has gotten more attention than you want to believe. There are people out there who refuse to take minutes to search just facts, or fan art, fanfictions, fan videos, walkthroughs, anything, just to see how popular it actually is. MM could be more popular than OoT, if it was a little longer. Time was never an issue in the game, you are correct. Sure people complained about one minor thing, that was time. Time is always a problem, even now.
I don't want to spend forever on something that can take me minutes to explain, but don't ever say that a game is underrated just because it was crammed in there. It's just not right.

You nailed that post down great job with the post!I don't think its under rated at all there are allot of MM fans out there

Tom

*Claps* You managed to say everything I would like to put in words, but I still don't think I'd be able to do it so nicely.
Awesome posting.
People should really stop whining, it's not underrated at all, it's got as many fans as OoT, and if not, it has even more.

Do you MM fans who claim it's underrated feel good when posting this kind of threads? Really, does this kind of posts anyhow 'please' you guys?

:s How many of this 'Oh, that big mean OoT! It's not as good as MM and still has got more attention driven to it so far' have you already seen in your life? I was going to post in a 'Poll: Is OoT Overrated?' like thread today, but when I realized I had already been through many other threads like that one (even before the crash), I wouldn't contribute at all.

You yourselves are the living proof that MM is even more OVERRATED than OoT. Look at your reflection. LOOK (lol).

Oh, yes, I forgot to say that as far as I'm concerned, Ocarina of Time might even be a LITTLE overrated, but if so, it's perfectly fair and reasonable (for Majora's Mask is a little overrated too), since it indeed is an awesome game. I wish from now on threads about this overrated/underrated thing stopped, for it's been a long time ago since it started getting repetitive. The post above mine is this thread's "ender". Even if you keep on posting, this one has said it all, and there's nothing you can do to contradict it and prove it's not truth.

Conclusion: Both games are amazing, none of them is HIGHLY under/overrated, and the two of them got "what they deserved" from the public, you can see that by looking to most of the posts on this thread, there's plenty of MM fans (those who like it better than OoT) and plenty of OoT ones as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom