• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Link Truely Either Left-handed or Right-handed?

As a left-handed person, I was always happy that Link has been left-handed in every single title until TP for the Wii. Even then, that's only because of the Wii controller and that the game was flipped from the GC version. Sadly, I don't have that connection with link anymore. *SIGH*

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I believe the character Link is meant to be left handed. But Nintendo makes him ambidextrous, or right handed, to increase playing abilities

Link has alwasy, traditionally been left handed (not ambidextrous), but this changed as the Nintendo controls became more personal.

Link has been left handed in every game except for those on the wii (TP and SS). The only reason he is right handed on the wii games is because Nintendo knew more right handed people than left handed people would play the game and they wanted the controls to feel comfortable. But, according to Canon, Link is Left handed. TP's Gamecube version is the "official" version, and Link is left handed. The only game that Nintendo has made Link "officialy" Right handed is SS and I believe it is only because of the evidence above.

This should be common knowledge by now. Link has always been left handed but as the Wii came out, as RedDukuScrub described, Nintendo decided to mirror mode TP (on the gamecube everything is the complete mirror opposite then it is in the Wii version) due to the fact Nintendo felt the majority of players were right handed, thus if Link were to be left handed in the game it might not work so well with the Wiimote controls, (players swinging sword with right hand, Link swinging sword with opposite hand) so the GC version of TP was flipped around entirely for the Wii version (so it would appear link is right handed on the Wii controls would be appropriate for right handed users ont he on screen results): you may play both versions to compare if you wish.

There was a bit of on uproar about this by fans as the two versions of TP were announced. I was one of these people, actually - breaking tradition is a big no-no. but i understand the logic behind it. But if he ever showed up right handed in another version (such as say, a DS game), I would be semi-furious.

I think Link is left handed. The only games they made him right handed where in TP and SS which was because of the wii version and most people are right handed.

That's a good point you made with Miyamoto being ambidextrous, I have never thought about a theory like that but it makes perfect sense. Good observation.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
Link was intially supposed to be Left-Handed because Shigeru Miyamoto is, but that has changed in a few games throughtout the years.

It will change with every game. In games that use only buttons he'll probably be a lefty, and with motion controls he'll be a righty because that's the hand you hold the wiimote with. But I think he should be ambidextrous.

Link is not a single character. Some of the heroes use their left hand and some use their right. If they keep motion controls, eventually I'm pretty sure the player will get to choose.

Well, each Link is a different incarnation, so being a different person, they can prefer a different hand. So Skyward Link being right handed and Wind Waker being left handed doesn't matter. They're different people. That being said, I love backflipping while equipping hookshot in Ocarina!

M

matian99

I have a theory: the very first link in skyward sword is right handed because of motion controls but the official artwork is also right handed so its his true hand after that when the game ended the other links have been left handed. This might be because they are like a mirror to his life constantly coming back. ( tp wii link is right because of motion controls so the entire game mirrors the GameCube version.

My original point was that most, if not all, Links are at least somewhat ambidextrous due to the different items each one uses. It also recently occurred to me that holding that large shield all the time must strengthen his other hand as well. I believe all Links could do most things with either hand if the need arose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom