• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is Link More Relatable or More Inspiring

willsfairysword

links assistant in combat
As a kid I always loved link as a character I found him very relatable and inspire but I could never stop thinking is he more relatable or inspiring

post what you think and why you think that :)

I always thought as a kid link is as inspiring as he is relatable mostly because he's a nobody kid like me but he has the courage to over power his foes and save hyrule and zelda now thats inspiration

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
For me, Link is both relatable and inspiring. I can definitely draw relations with him, what with his wanting to save the world and/or the girl. However, the way he goes about saving the world and/or the girl is definitely inspiring. He goes through never-before-seen heights undaunted, he blazes through mountains and ice caverns alike, he doesn't stop until he gets what he wants. That is just nothing more than inspiring, for me.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I'd say more inspiring than relatable. Link is a perfect example of courage and bravery (3 guesses why ;) ) and sets an example for kids AND adults.

Not to say he isn't relatable. Every time we enter the game with Link in a deep sleep only to be abruptly woken up I think "that's me"

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
I think Link is pretty inspiring I can't personally relate to him because I don't yell and grunt all the time instead of talking so he's kinda hard to relate too unless you can understand his grunting, yelling, and silence.

Mido

Version 1
Link is inspiring due to his courage and willingness to risk everything for others. But in the simple things he does, like sleeping in in OOT; which was already said, he is relatable. I would probably say he is more of the former, but still has a bit of both sides.

I think Link is pretty inspiring I can't personally relate to him because I don't yell and grunt all the time instead of talking so he's kinda hard to relate too unless you can understand his grunting, yelling, and silence.

There's not much to really relate to, as he's for all intents and purposes an avatar of the player. As for him being inspiring, I find him more inspiring than anything else for that very reason. He is a blank canvas that you can put just about anything on, so long as you mind what little personality he does possess outside of his avatar function- that he's humble, hardworking, brave, and has an almost superhuman sense of determination and perseverance.

S

sheik7thsage

First and foremost Link is whatever we make him out to be. The only emotions or personality he presents to us, is his unyielding determination. Weather we find him to be courageous, or just your average boy caught up in something he can't control, is just up to us. The sole opinion of the player.
After all these years of playing Zelda, as cheesey as this sounds, I realized that anyone could be Link. That I did all of those brave things out of the goodness of my heart. I can sit here in my room with all my merchandise and memories and think "Link is relatable, Link is courageous" But in all honesty, he is whatever vision I have of him, collected over my many adventures. Link is reincarnate. A hero who is reborn in every age. Who knows, maybe Link... is you

Inspiring yes but I don't know about him being relatable because he has an incorruptible spirit and always does right from wrong, and as much as I would like to believe that I could perform as such I know that I would be far more likely to become corrupted than him, he is Hylian we are human, humans are more easily corrupted, but in the sense of wright and wrong he can be relatable because you can always choose to do the right, to do what is best for the needs of the many.

Fig

The Altruist
I think Link is more inspirational than relatable. Link has done so many things in his many lives and I always wished I could be as handsome, cool, and masculine as him. Link is basically the one I would love to be in my distant future! Link has even inspired me to go out on my own adventures (school wise) and help those that need help. I've been doing that for about my entire life as I first was inspired by Link when I was three after beating Ocarina of Time for the first tiime! ^^

I don't think Link is either of those things for me personally.

To me he is iconic and instantly recognisable, but most video game characters are instantly recognisable so that means almost nothing for Link.
Link is a brave character and honour bound but he is too quiet, and event hough SS and TP put some emotion in there (or at least tried) i still don't find myself caring a whole lot of a surrogate of me wearing green on a screen. He doesn't have a personality really, he just has motivation and seemingly as much will and compulsion as my own to get a quest done. Other characters like Samus who even in her early games ignored the gamer to progress the story (finding the infant Metroid in Return of Samus) felt more real to me because they seemed to have a sentience of their own, whereas Link seems to follow orders with no questions asked... literally. I think needs a personality, he needs his own words and phrases and thoughts and opinions on things so that we can go with him and feel as if we're travelling with a friend and someone real rather than a silent slave to control.

Link was created as a "link" between the character and the player so to speak but I hardly feel any emotional connection to him at all. Part of the reason perhaps is because he lacks a voice. I've always been a proponent of incorporating voice acting but after the butchery that was Metroid: Other M I'd prefer if Link remains silent. That said franchises like Half-Life fail to resonate with me because the protagonists lack a voice. I come for the stellar gameplay, not a great narrative. If I wanted a deeper story I'd read a book or watch a movie.

I won't embrace or eschew Link in this thread but any relation I've developed towards the character has been through his interaction with NPCs peopling the environment. Take The Wind Waker, for example, easily the most poignant installment. A sense of urgency was added when Aryll was kidnapped immediately following a human emotional of her as Link's sister and childhood friend. The pathos was extended via Link's grandmother, subtly shedding tears as her nephew departed from home alone for the first time. If anything Nintendo should further this emotional facet in future titles.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Yeah, Link is totally relatable. I always go out of my way to save princesses, drink alcoholic milk, prevent the Moon from crashing into the Earth, ride a giant bird through the sky, ride a talking boat through the sea, killing a giant boar-man, collecting shadows that are fused for an imp, all while playing 10-20 different songs of my famous Ocarina. :right:

In all seriousness, Link is most definitely an inspiring character. I could understand how someone could relate to him in various ways, but there isn't much an average person has in common with a character such as himself.

Hmm being a fan of the zelda franchise as well as Metroid Prime franchise I find link to be at most inspirational and iconic the same goes for samus, but neither are that relatable for the most part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom