• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is it worthwhile to play an unfinished series?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
I'm talking something akin to Mega Man Legends or Half-Life where there was never a proper conclusion. This is probably more so aimed at you guys who play games for their stories, is it worth it to you to get into a series that hasn't seen a conclusion as it may possibly never even happen?

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Yeah, I for one really love getting narratively blue-balled by a cliffhanger that will never get answered.

You could argue that part of the experience is the journey, but a journey to nowhere would be rather like wandering aimlessly: pointless. Yes, the games would probably still be fun, but the ending would just be unfulfilling.

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
I would say so. If the games are good enough and you're able to get some enjoyment out of them then it's definitely worth it, even if the latest game in the series ends with an unresolved cliffhanger. After all, it doesn't change how good the games were to begin with.

The Half-Life example is actually interesting, since a couple months ago I did play through Half-Life 2, HL2:Ep 1 and HL2:Ep 2 and I really enjoyed them all. Is it disappointing to know that there will basically be no sequel that ties the story up? Yeah. But does it take away from the enjoyment I had when I played the games? No, not at all. And I definitely wouldn't want people to shy away from playing the Half-Life series, or any series for that matter, just because the overall story is unresolved. At worst I feel it just means you can't get as invested in the story, but sometimes that's just the price you have to pay.

Last edited:
Tough one, at least if you know it's unfinished going in you won't be disappointed and be waiting years on end for a sequel that will probably never happen.

But I personally wouldn't bother.

In my opinion, video games are like cartoons. Most times, the series will never be completely finished.

Furthermore even if a series is good and done, there is likely to be a title in it you don't like or can't get hold of.

So if you enjoy parts of it at least, then yes it's worth playing.

toonlink

Most Active Inactive User
I think if the games that do exist in that series hold up on their own, you can still enjoy them. The narrative may never come to a proper conclusion, but when it comes to stuff like Mega Man Legends and Half Life, the story you do get is great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom