• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is It Weird for Girls to <3 LOZ

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
This right here...

I don't think it's so much of a "girl" issue in your school as much as it is a "geek" issue. Geeks of either gender... well, we have to learn to be comfortable with being different. Being hardcore into things that are not "mainstream" is pretty much the definition of a geek. But there's hope - we geeks tend to be smart people and our various obessions can lead to interesting, creative things.

You just have to accept that you aren't like the herd and that, if you're true to yourself and your likes, you aren't going to be a part of the herd.

Perhaps I sound cruel... I guess it's been easy for me because I never fit in -- seriously, this is one of the few places I've "fit in," even in my online life. I'm also "old" and I find that learning to accept yourself is a part of growing up.

You guys have metioned that Zelda might be more 'girl-friendly' (so to speak) than some games. But don't count us girls out. We can game as hardcore or more than any boy. About any series. A gamer's a gamer.
Yeah, you're right. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I intended my post to mostly focus on a different argument, I just wanted to point out that even if someone did have a narrow view of the genders it's still not that odd for a girl to like Zelda, mainly just for the purpose of strengthening the argument that it's not weird.

But you're absolutely right. There are hardcore gamers of either gender. The gender itself isn't a factor in that at all. It's just different people.

This right here...

I don't think it's so much of a "girl" issue in your school as much as it is a "geek" issue. Geeks of either gender... well, we have to learn to be comfortable with being different. Being hardcore into things that are not "mainstream" is pretty much the definition of a geek. But there's hope - we geeks tend to be smart people and our various obessions can lead to interesting, creative things.

You just have to accept that you aren't like the herd and that, if you're true to yourself and your likes, you aren't going to be a part of the herd.

Perhaps I sound cruel... I guess it's been easy for me because I never fit in -- seriously, this is one of the few places I've "fit in," even in my online life. I'm also "old" and I find that learning to accept yourself is a part of growing up.
Yeah, you've got some good points there. It's true that if you're going to be different, you're going to have to accept that you are and not get caught up in trying to fit in. There's also something to be said for trying to find similarities and points to agree on with other people. Not saying change your ideals or opinions, not at all. Just saying you're better off looking at similarities than differences, whether they be similarities in interests, personality, ideals, etc. People can be drastically different and still get along.

It's also my opinion that there's no such thing as people being "normal", mainly because I think everyone is unique whether or not they realize, acknowledge, or embrace it. I think that the kinds of people that seem exactly the same - the herd, as you put it - are mainly getting caught up in a popular idea, thinking they have to be that way, or just being robots. But that's just my view on it.

Zarom

The King
Well, I don't see nothing wrong with girls playing Zelda. And yes, more boys play videogames, but girls can too. Altough in my school, girls usually don't play that much games, (except for something like The Sims and things like that). I don't know many girls at school that like videogames. And most of my friends that are girls just don't play games. There is one who have a Wii (She got it for Christmas), but she only has Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit...

My sister plays some games, not as much as her brothers, tough. :xd: But heh, she grew up with three brothers and no sister... so she always liked videogames in general.

I've noticed that most (every) people about my age, that only play games when they have good graphics and only own new games (They all sell their old games, because they think it's crap. o_O), and most of them even thinks the Wii's only purpose is to loose weight... so they obviously get more "serious" games, as they say.

vatti

The Acorn sized Magician
I think girls can like the legend of zelda all they want. my freind (a girl) lloves the legend of zelda! once I asked her how many game overs she got and she said none. thats how good she is!

Linkette

Heroine of Time
I recently did my class talk on Zelda and almost no-one slagged me off. Only one girl called me saddo but she didn't do a talk on anything so she was just annoyed. I'm a girl and really enjoy Zelda series so I think there's nothing wrong with it.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
right! its NOT WEIRD for girlsd to play coz im one!
its good for younger people too (to a limit)
coz i started playing on zelda game when i was 8! (completed PH at 8 or 9)!

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Do you think this is really the best place to ask a question like that? We might be a little biased. ;)

I guess the best answer is, it depends on who you ask and where you are. There are communities where gender roles are more strictly observed, and those people would probably think girls who play LoZ were weird. Some people still think girls using the Internet is weird. Conversely, there are places where no one would bat an eye at a girl who lifted weights and was into sports, let alone video games. Most people are somewhere in the middle. If I were to guess, I'd say about... 40-50% of the people you ask would probably say it was normal. Then maybe another 20-30% would say it was odd, but harmless. There's probably only 10-20% of people who would have a serious problem with girls playing video games. That's just my intuitive guess, though.

I think that with the image of gaming changing from a "nerd" thing to something more accessible, more girls will play video games. It really doesn't interfere with too many traditions regarding feminine behavior, anyway... I mean, it's not like you get sweaty, dirty, need physical strength, or take risks playing video games. That's why the gender barrier can't last, it's not supported by any of the other stereotypes about women.

When the idea of video games being a "guy" thing was at it's height, it was also pretty common among guys to think of it as a "nerdy" thing for the unpopular guys who weren't into sports and women. This image... was probably more accurate. The idea of it being a guy thing was probably started by said nerdy guys so they would have some kind of excuse to feel more "masculine" despite possibly being weaker and not into sports like the other guys. There used to be a similar thing among academics... those guys used to tell themselves that women were too "emotional," and could never use logic the way "real men" like them did.

The majority of men just made the criteria of masculinity strength, and the men who weren't strong, in their insecurity, tried to set themselves apart from women in other ways. Basically, these ideas come about because even physically weak men usually want to rationalize that they're different from/superior to women in some way. Likely because they fear being effeminate.

On top of that, women are usually chastised more for being "nerdy" than guys are, because women used to be more dependent on their social skills, obedience, and awareness of others than men. They were largely uneducated, and didn't really have much of a chance to succeed on merit. That's also where the expectation that women get by on their looks comes from, I think.

Anyway,... on this forum, I can tell you that it's definitely NOT weird. In your real life community, though, it might be. The only way to find out would be to ask around.

Personally, I think girls who play video games in general are awesome, but girls who play zelda games = the best. So I think it's great that you like zelda

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
Okay, I'm a girl, and I will admit that many boys are weird about girls playing video games. I have started playing the Zelda games since I was three years old and I don't think that there is anything wrong with girls playing video games. In general, Zelda games are practically for both boys and girls. The reason is because of the fact that there are many females in all the games. And let's remember who made the Triforce? Goddesses. Not Gods. So no, it is not weird for girls to play Zelda games.

Last edited:
O

Ozzy_Link19

Absolutely nothing weird about girls playing video games. I've gotten girls hooked on video games just because they saw me playing a game (mostly Zelda games) that seemed interesting to them.

Ikana

Trollkastel
I don't think it's weird for girls to play Zelda,some of my cousins play it.I don't think Zelda is a all boys game allot of girls play it.

M

Mehzmerize

Video games have been getting more popular recently and with that there have been more and more female gamers, at least that I have noticed. I am female and I love video games, I've been playing them since I was young. I know a lot of other girls who really enjoy video games. It is much more common now days than it used to be so no, not weird in the slightest.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
I'm not a girl, but I am girly, so, I think that's enough to post here XD
Anyways, you shouldn't worry, I am a geek(even though I don't look like one), and, I am pretty comfortable with that.
You should be, too, you should always be proud of who you are, and how you are yourself

P

pahurtgen

Honestly, I feel weird when I play, because most of the time, the girls are better than me. LOL

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Are better than you in what sense?No one is better than the other, it all depends on they eye of the beholder

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom