• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Is It Time for New Reoccurring Villains?

http://www.zeldainformer.com/articles/its-time-for-the-zelda-series-to-stop-the-one-time-villains

This little article at Zelda Informer is a fascinating read. And yeah, this is a topic that's brought up once every... 6-8 months on these forums, but it's still something I think Nintendo should consider.

Aside from Ganon, the only reoccurring villains are Vaati and Twinrova. Vaati was the main villains of 3, and yet the last of his chronological appearances had him become Ganon's pawn, something one time villains keep getting...
Until Yuga
As for Twinrova, she was a boss in one temple in Ocarina of Time and was a behind the scenes set of villains for the Oracle games, and even then they were still servants of Ganon.

So, should the series stop having Ganon be our only returning big bad? Granted he is tied to the series far more than the other villains since he's the supposed "incarnation of Demise's hate". But look at other villains in the series. Onox, Veran, Zant, Ghirahim... considering the split timelines, why is should we not at least accept the idea of Onox or Veran appearing in the other two timelines? Why not expect a return of Vaati? Why not have some underling of Ganon's decide to step up and make several repeated attempts to conquer Hyrule on his own?

I'm just saying that while Ganon being the series Big Bad number 1 isn't going to change, why is having other villains continue out of the question for Nintendo? Do you think we should have other villains, old or new, be the villain for more than just one adventure?

Well presumably Ganondorf died in the main timeline after TP so there's an opportunity for a new villain right there, but yes I think a new reoccurring villain would be good, Yuga could possibly become a reoccurring villain.

Well presumably Ganondorf died in the main timeline after TP so there's an opportunity for a new villain right there, but yes I think a new reoccurring villain would be good, Yuga could possibly become a reoccurring villain.

He died but became reincarnated as the new Ganon from Four Swords Adventures.

Yuga COULD have become one. I say could because... well, I won't spoil it for anyone.

I would honestly like to see a little more done with Bellum. There was a fair opportunity there--that Nintendo kind of skimped out on because I think they were too focused on making the game act as a sequel to The Wind Waker or something. Not only could they do things on his regard, but making further (and deeper) connections of Phantom Hourglass to other events would probably quell a lot of the hate it gets. Since it takes place in an alternate world, Nintendo could easily do something without worrying too much about the timeline and we really need that. They focus too much on the timeline nowadays that they don't get to put as much creativity into their newer installments, which is kind of a let down. While I really loved Phantom Hourglass, Bellum was a very shallow villain and I think a reappearance--whether it be a prequel or sequel--could really do him some justice.

I doubt they will, though. You can kind of see that Nintendo didn't have much faith in Phantom Hourglass by its lack of official artwork. In contrast to some of the other games--especially modern ones, it really didn't have many, now did it?

@DuelMark, you have a good point, I had forgotten that Ganon is reincarnated in FSA, that said there's still a gap between TP and FSA that could allow for a new villain to be introduced.

Last edited:

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Nah, they should just bring back Ganondorf and let him steer the series again. He will bring sweet nostalgia to old fans. New fans will be amazed by how awesome he is. I mean Ganondorf is so intimidating and clever. It's a shame he's been in only 3 games to date.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I'd be fine if we kept Ganonspork as long as he remains cool. However, if they devise a cooler amd more interesting villian, I would be totally be fine with that.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I know Ganon and Ganondorf are the same. I'm just saying that the human form is much better. I mean Ganondrof is clever, intimidating, and a blast to fight. He's also got a certain style about him. I mean he's plays his own theme music on a pipe organ. How cool is that?

Ganon is cool, but I've gotten a little tired of the big blue pig monster. I'd just like more Ganondorf. In OoT, he was used best. He was cool and evil, and Ganon was saved for the final epic showdown. I would prefer a Zelda game like that. Maybe I'm too much of an OoT fan, but I think Ganondorf is that better form of our main villain.

Maybe they could at least give us a Ganondorf form during the final boss battle. Idk.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I would like to see Ghirahim return. He could become the hand of Ganondorf in future games. Many villains have a sort of sidekick and Ghirahim could fulfill that role.
Twinrova should be alive on the main TP timeline, so they could come back again.
Yuga was very enjoyable, but seeing lorule and him again is not going to happen.

Ganondorf = Ganon and Ganon has been in more than half of the games in the series.

Yes but the human form is the only one which has development and personality in his games. The pig version is just some monster who lacks the presence of the human form.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I wouldn't really label Twinrova as a "reoccurring villain". The were partially a villain in the Oracles, but nothing more than significant servants to Ganon (I know they were his surrogate mothers). Anyway, there other two appearances were in OoT and MM. In the former they were a boss with no real significance and, in the latter, they were civil residents of Woodfall (Southern Swamp to be more specific). Vaati does have more of a significant role, in fact he's only second to Ganon in appearances, but I still wouldn't call him a reoccurring villain. He was in a saga of games that are kind of alienated from the rest of the series.

I'm not too big on Vaati or the lore in the Four Swords series to be honest. If something was to be explained to connect that saga to the norm of the series then I'd be happy to welcome it. However, I broader question would be about bringing back past villains who have yet to show their face again. In that case we have a few: Agahnim (I'll explain this one), Zant, Ghirahim, Bellum, Malladus, Demise to etc. Some stand out more than others to me.

Agahnim's origins are quite obscure and are never really fully explained. He is believed to be Ganon's alter ego; however that doesn't really explain him. Some believe he is a shell that Ganon uses in other words, a disguise. Others believe he is an entity on his own. Anyway, it's never really clarified whether Agahnim died or not and let's not forget his odd came appearance in Seasons. Then we have Zant, though he can't really return can he? Some speculate that he survived (his spiritual appearance during the closing moments of the game), but I believe that was purely a symbolism of betrayal.

What about Ghirahim then? Well a rather odd figure, but interesting enough that I'd welcome is return; though is survival can be questioned. Malladus and Demise are similar to Ganon(dorf) both in theory and in personality - thus Ganondorf is the better choice as he's already established. Though I like Bellum to be honest. I think I've posted about this before, but I loved the idea of having a villain remain anonymous and that's just want Bellum did. He has this mysterious factor about him and I think Nintendo could really do something with the whole phantom race.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom