• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Is It Really the Best Zelda Game Ever?

He said it was the best of ALL GAMES
Not only is it the best Zelda game. But it's the best game ever. Think, which game has been re-distributed four times?

I do agree that OoT is the best Zelda, but if you are defending it, you need true facts

The original LoZ will officially be re-released for its 5th time in September on the 3ds, that is if you include the Famicon Disk System re release. And six if you count Animal Crossing...

Last edited:

Tictalk

Anouki
Yes! I agree! Oot is NOT the best in the series. Personally, this is just my opinion don't torture me, I thought that games like MM, LA, and even PH were better. I havnt gotten a chance to play TP or WW yet so again don't kill me. It was a great game, but not the best.

@425 (not quoting because your posts are rather long)

You've made some excellent points, but there are a two things I feel you're blowing out of proportion.

Difficulty
So what if WW and TP are easier than OoT? The point of a game is being fun to play. OoT is grating at times, but fun about 90-95% of the time. Despite low difficulty, WW and TP are also fun.

IT PUSHED THE N64 TO IT'S LIMITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This does not make it any better than other games. "Final Fantasy VIII" pushed the Playstion father than "Final Fantasy VII" did, and do I even need to ask which one is better? I didn't think so. The limitations of the consoles the games are for are not relevant. OoT is a great game, but the limitations of the N64 are not a factor is saying it's better than any other Zelda game.

Maikeru

Piper of Time
In my opinion, Majora's Mask is the best of all time, just because of all the meat. The side stories that combined with the main story.

My favorite though is more of a tie between MM and OoT.

I preferred OoT's dungeons.
Indifferent on most bosses. Though OoT had my more favorite ones.
I preferred MM's NPCs.
I preferred MM's story.
I preferred MM's quests.

I really cannot agree with that assessment. I couldn't when it was first released, either. I mean, it was good, but it was no "Link to the Past". You see, after I finished it, there were three crippling issues that made me think a little less of the game.

Too many side quests with too little pay-off
There were so many side quests in "Ocarina of Time", but so few of them have any satisfying pay-off. The trading side quest was great, and fishing was fun. But that was about as good as it got. Hunting those gold skullalas was a pain and you weren't given enough for it to be worthwhile. The mask shop was okay, but I felt like the rewards were completely pointless. Hunting those big poes was also annoying. And the less I say about marathon man, the better. These problems don't exist in "Wind Waker" and "Twilight Princess".
Can't say that the collecting things weren't a problem in TP, I hated the poe collecting.

Not enough dungeons
I counted, there are only 8 dungeons in this game, and 3 "sub-dungeons". That's how many dungeons were in "Link's Awakening"! This was supposed to be N64, cutting-edge technology! Why do we only get 8 dungeons? In comparison, "Link to the Past" had 11 dungeons and only 1 "sub-dungeon". A far more extensive game.
8 is NOT a little number, its actually a pretty good number. if it was anymore, it might be too much

Less than stellar final battle
The fight with Ganondorf was good. If they stuck with that, I wouldn't complain. But that's not what they did. They had to have him transform into Ganon. But that fight was pathetically easy. It was cool to be able to use just about all your equipment in one fight, but the difficulty seemed far to low. "Link to the Past" had a far better final battle, and the final conflicts in "Wind Waker" and "Twilight Princess" are far beyond that.
I personally enjoyed that battle, but whatever

With these issues, I fail to see how anyone can say that "Ocarina of Time" is the best Zelda game there is. I understood when it first came out, although I thought "Link to the Past" was better. But "Wind Waker" and "Twilight Princess" clearly blew that game out of the water. "Ocarina of Time" is a fantastic game, but falls short in comparison to other Zelda titles. Can someone explain this die-hard opinion of it being the best of the best?

I think what makes the game known as one of the best games in history, is that it was revolutionary. The target system, the plot, you might think the plot wasn't very good, but for its time? It blew every ones mind. The games new 3D look brought new puzzles. You know that WW and TP you keep on bringing up? those wouldn't exist without OOT. It makes since why everyone else likes it so much.

my opinoun of it? It was my first Zelda game, I can replay it over and over again and not get tired of it. As long as a game is still fun, all those things you mentioned don't matter. You can break a game down all you want, say why its not good, say it wasn't long enough, say 'this' or 'that' make it NOT fun, as long as it IS fun, it doesn't matter. I probably can't come up with a reason why I love this game, but if its fun, its fun.
BUT if you don't like the game as much as others, then you don't. I don't care. I can see why you don't think its as good, so it doesn't matter.

Um dude you Got to realize, nintendo didn't get to do all the things the wanted, because of the limitations of the N64. The N64 carts could only hold 64MB worth of memory, unlike the sega saturn, or the Playstation which could hold up to 700MB per disk also given the fact that they could also have games on Multiple Disks. If the N64 was a Disc based gaming machine, it we could have seen a Much larger and Longer game, that could have been on multiple discs,

Hero of…. #s, I guess
Difficulty
So what if WW and TP are easier than OoT? The point of a game is being fun to play. OoT is grating at times, but fun about 90-95% of the time. Despite low difficulty, WW and TP are also fun.

You are correct in say that a low difficulty game can be fun, however, I personally believe it is better if you have to think about it a little, and struggle, beating the game in a matter of weeks or months, rather than in a matter of days. It gets more fun and more playtime out of the game, plus increases replayability.

IT PUSHED THE N64 TO IT'S LIMITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This does not make it any better than other games. "Final Fantasy VIII" pushed the Playstion father than "Final Fantasy VII" did, and do I even need to ask which one is better? I didn't think so. The limitations of the consoles the games are for are not relevant. OoT is a great game, but the limitations of the N64 are not a factor is saying it's better than any other Zelda game.

I really have no idea why you attributed this idea to me. Because I never said this, and in fact denounced this is a stupid argument. Please get your facts straight.

Twisting my words, eh? Let me put it this way:

Say a Majora's Mask easter egg appears in Skyward Sword, I can expect spectulation such as, "Proof for a Majora's Mask remake!?!?! Did Majora originate in Skyward Sword!?!?!" etc. But I see it as nothing more than a small nod to Majora's Mask while others feel the need to blow things way out of proportion and create a timeline theory.

Go ahead! It's a fantastic game, and I enjoyed DKCR a lot, but others seemed to enjoy DKCR more than KEY soooo....

Hmm, If they kinda tie that in, maybe there would be a reason to remake it, but the might just throw it in at the last Second kinda how they did for Ganon in Twlight Princess

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom