• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is It Really Game Over for the Wii?

I was about to check my Emails when I saw this report - http://uk.videogames.games.yahoo.com/blog/article/2997/

Is it really going to go downhill from here for the wii and maybe the DS Lite and DSi. According to this the biggest release planned for this is Wii Sports Resort. I really don't want it to go downhill from here on for Nintendo, I think that they need to start preoducing better Graphics to compete with Xbox 360 and also make the next Nintendo console able to play DVDs. I also think that Nintendo need to start making better consistent games unlike some of the cheap games that they are throwing out, They should take up an area in the more adult games like Fear 2, Killzone 2 and others as well as family games.

Discuss

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
I think you are pannicking too much.
It loweredthe sales a bit, but I don't think it is game over.
I believe they have surprises for us, but maybe only for next year. Like a wii Zelda, and, even this is gonna sound weird, a new metroid game(the japanese metroid site was recently updated and it has something that can be translated as: NEW SIDE STORY, COMING SOON"
Also, the Nintendo has the DS and it's sisters to make up for lost ground.

Nah, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The Wii's been on top for quite a while now, so it's not surprising that sales may be dropping a bit. Most people already have one, and we're in the middle of a recession anyway. I do agree that it needs more games, which is why I would've been much happier with a Zelda game announced for the Wii instead of another DS game. Don't forget that the 360 and PS3 are still pretty far behind the Wii in sales, and even though this apparently biased article doesn't mention it, Microsoft and Sony aren't doing any better. They have their own share of problems, probably much greater than sales dropping by only 3,000 units (which isn't that much in the gaming industry).

Heh, I'm not going to read any more of the comments below that article. I'll just end up getting mad and upset, but I'll say this about those comments: Have you taken the time to actually play some games on the Wii? some of those people obviously haven't played masterpieces like Galaxy, TP, MadWorld, and Brawl, all of which I think are fantastic games.

I'm tired of all the Wii Sports/Wii Fit games. I want more hardcore games. Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Star Fox, Donkey Kong. I understand about taking their time with Zelda games and Mario adventures but a Star Fox game can't be hard to make or Donkey Kong.

I'm not talking Mario Party 23 or Donkey Kong Racing. I mean proper official storied adventures.

I agree witk Dark Link that for the next console, they really really have to up the graphics potential. I don't care about DVD playability, I have DVD player for that. Though for the next Nintendo game console I think they should start being a lot more competitive. Also delving into the family games too, but they can still do that with better graphics.

They need to pull out their best cards again. They have so much potential up their sleeves that no one else has. Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc and they need to use them more on Wii. Create big games.

MOS3

Agent Of Chaos
I'm tired of all the Wii Sports/Wii Fit games. I want more hardcore games. Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Star Fox, Donkey Kong. I understand about taking their time with Zelda games and Mario adventures but a Star Fox game can't be hard to make or Donkey Kong.

I'm not talking Mario Party 23 or Donkey Kong Racing. I mean proper official storied adventures.

I agree witk Dark Link that for the next console, they really really have to up the graphics potential. I don't care about DVD playability, I have DVD player for that. Though for the next Nintendo game console I think they should start being a lot more competitive. Also delving into the family games too, but they can still do that with better graphics.

They need to pull out their best cards again. They have so much potential up their sleeves that no one else has. Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc and they need to use them more on Wii. Create big games.

Buddy, you just read my mind lol. Exactly my thoughts on this. Even though I don't have a Wii.

The thing is one of the biggest places for buying Nintendo obviously is Japan and they are starting to turn to Xbox 360. I am going to stop playing the wii pretty soon unless they bring out more adult games which I want to play, They should make the next console more competitive with better graphics and more Shooting games for the older audience, There are not really many wii games that pull in an adult audience unlike Xbox 360 and PS3, Infact PS3 is the only reason I will end up not playing Nintendo consoles pretty soon other than the odd Mario and Zelda game since I don't find Metroid the best of games. I am wanting to play on games like COD5, Killzone 2, Little Big Planet and others that are exclusive to the PS3. Even though most Nintendo Exclusives are superior to a lot of Xbox 360 and PS3 exclusives, They are seeming to be aimed at a younger audience. Also they are not sticking to what they know best like Zelda, Metroid, Starfox, Mario...etc. Ya know the games that made Nintendo what it is

The thing is one of the biggest places for buying Nintendo obviously is Japan and they are starting to turn to Xbox 360. I am going to stop playing the wii pretty soon unless they bring out more adult games which I want to play, They should make the next console more competitive with better graphics and more Shooting games for the older audience.

If you want "adult" games and "shooting" games, allow me to point you towards MadWorld and The Conduit. Mad World is just about as "mature" as you can get, and Conduit already looks way better than the overrated Halo.

No, I don't think Japan is going to the 360. Wii is still far ahead, and I get the idea that this article is clearly biased.

Better graphics again huh? I'll never understand how graphics make a better game.......

No, I don't think Japan is going to the 360. Wii is still far ahead, and I get the idea that this article is clearly biased.QUOTE]

Apparantly the Wii only made a few more sales last week or something like that rather to when it was way further ahead. I don't like that look at Madworld either and also I don't want Halo 3, That is one of the worst games ever since it stopped going original like when they first made Grav Lifts, That was original. I want a game that has a great story as well, The one for Resident Evil 5 looks pretty good, Halos is terrible.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
They may have taken a bit of a hit on sales compared to some other months, but the Wii still outsold all the systems according to March MPD results. Here's an excerpt from IGN.com:

"Nintendo's own two systems ranked number-one and two, Wii with 610,000 units sold and DS with 563,000 respectively. Microsoft's console managed the third spot with 330,000 more units moved. PlayStation 3 came in fourth with 218,000. PSP 168,000. And PS2 -- nearly a decade after its release -- sold to another 112,000 people."

Again, it may be less than normal, but over 600 thousand units sold in one month does not mean it's on it's way out by any means, especially after being available for over 2 years now. A console usually has a lifespan of about 5 years before a new one comes, and I doubt this will be any different for the Wii.

I know it doesn't have as good technology under the hood as its competators, but they will ahve more titles coming to boost sales again. After last year's lackluster E3, this year promises to have some great announcements.

They are seeming to be aimed at a younger audience. Also they are not sticking to what they know best like Zelda, Metroid, Starfox, Mario...etc. Ya know the games that made Nintendo what it is

Exactly what I was saying. I don't know why they don't use these tools better.

Though I'm not worried for the wii, in the sense that it's going to ruin Nintendo or anything. Nintendo DSi is really making their money. Though if they really want to triumph and take over, unload on more hardcore, 100% Nintendo games for the wii.

Again, it may be less than normal, but over 600 thousand units sold in one month does not mean it's on it's way out by any means, especially after being available for over 2 years now. A console usually has a lifespan of about 5 years before a new one comes, and I doubt this will be any different for the Wii.

I know it doesn't have as good technology under the hood as its competators, but they will ahve more titles coming to boost sales again. After last year's lackluster E3, this year promises to have some great announcements.

I read on some websites including this one that PS3 and PSP where beating Nintendo Wii and DS in the whole of Japan, They used to dominate there, Even a few PS2 games are beating some top Wii games in that area

Also I am surprised that they have some great games that they are planning to bring out, I doubt the new Zelda will be released before 2010 since Nintendo are always pushing deadlines back, Look how far the pushed brawl, That pushed back for about 6 months here. By then there a few great games that had been released on other consoles.

On another note, I think that Nintendo need to stop making these stupid games which make hardly any money at all and completly suck, They should spend more time and money making one really good game other than small bad ones

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I read on some websites including this one that PS3 and PSP where beating Nintendo Wii and DS in the whole of Japan,

Recent NPD data has stated that PS3 did better recently with the release of Resident Evil 5, but otherwise, Wii has still topped the charts there as well. If you want official data on the sales, check IGN each month for the results. It's a good look at the overall state of the game system market without having to resort to rumours and speculation of mainstream media articles. Plus they outline the top 10 selling games as well, which is always interesting to see.

Seriously, we have to look at the big picture, not just the past few months. The Wii has a record-breaking sales up until now, we should be expecting the popularity to die down a bit. Especially since some families might be cutting back on games because of the bad economy (let's not bring politics into this).

I think that the best way for Nintendo to boost their sales is to start releasing the games that Nintendo fans love. Game that engross us like Zelda, Donkey Kong, Star, Fox, Metroid, Mario, and many others. I mean, can't Nintendo come up with more than one mainstream game per series per console?

If you don't want to take the time and read that I will sum it up right here.
Suck it up Nintendo and stop making the pansy games; make the games that your true fans want to play.

Johnny Boy

Doctor JB!
The Wii should be having a little bit of a decline lately as because no real hardcore games have been released. Sales will most likely pick up though when Wii Sports Resort comes out. If Nintendo would just make more hardcore games to please their fans, their sales would be fine. But instead they go off and make crap like Dora the Explorer: Unleashed. :mellow: Maybe even releasing some of the good games from back in the day like Super Mario Kart or Majora's Mask on the VC will bring sales up.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
there is a way to make a Wii play DVDs and you can put emulators and stuff on it too. my buddy has the homebrew channel on his Wii and he can watch DVDs on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom