• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is it really a timeline anyway?

Aouoma did, but as I stated before, his opinion doesnt count on the fullest extent since he didnt start working with Miyamoto and the Zelda series until OoT.

K

King of Terror

I like to take my Zelda likes like I would take my Final Fantasy. Not having hardly anygthing to do with another. Sure some of the games follow from a past game. But after awhile it just gets harder and harder to plot a timeline. I know they most likely did that so writers had more freedom with a new game's story. I just feel they leave a little to much open for us fans to come up with our own ideas. I just feel once they post the true timeline it would have a major backlash from the fans, as it might be different from what they heard or they made themselves believe. just my thoughts

Simple, its because he had the Triforce of Power...But I dont think each game is its own legend, but more of the games are their own legendS. LoZ connects with AoL, ALttP connects with LA...and etc.
Yeah, and OoT connects with MM. Then you have Wind Waker which connects with PH. And then, you just get TP thrown in there randomly, becuase it is in the future of OoT and MM.

Mike Pothier

Lord Shaper
Of the main games in the series, OoT, ALttP, and LoZ, there are too many connections to assume that there is no timeline. For example, the backstory of aLttP fits in too snugly with OoT for the games to be unrelated storywise.

The point of the name, I think, isn't that each game is a retelling of a legend, but that within the overall storyline, the events of each game becomes a legend within Hyrule. Most games are centuries apart, more then enough time for each game to pass into legend by the time the next game comes up.

Actually, ALttP's backstory reminds me more of Twilight Princess. The sages are identical to the ones shown in ALttP's prologue. They sealed Ganondorf away in TP as well, not just OoT (only difference was the destination where he was sent to). Another thing, it actually shows the waging of war against Hyrule and the fall of Hyrule Castle.

Its also noted that ALttP's Hyrule is more than likely the same exact Hyrule as OoT/TP's. Twilight Princess does explain how the Master Sword got into the woods...it never moved.

Yea a little far fetched, especially since Aounoma stated OoT is ALttP's backstory, but I tend not to believe what they say all the time, esp. coming from someone that didnt start working on the Zelda series until OoT.

Yeah there are some errors comparing ALttP's story to what happened in OoT...Like The Golden Land and the Sacred Realm (why did they change the name). Seven wise men...seven sages. Theres plenty more, and you'd think Nintendo wouldnt make these mistakes.

Mike Pothier

Lord Shaper
They didn't make mistakes. By the time ALttP rolled around, the events of both OoT and TP became legend. Legends tend to muddle the facts, and two events like that can get mixed together.

I made that assertion on another thread. In LttP's backstory, Ganon lead a band of thieves into the Golden Realm to steal the Triforce (finding a gate by accident).

Well, we know from OoT, Ganon tried to steal the Triforce, but he never led anybody.

On the other hand, there WERE a band of thieves that tried to take over the Sacred Realm. There were called the Twili, and that action is what lead them to being imprisoned.

Fast forward a few hundred years, and the two events become myth, get mixed together, and now we have the backstory for LttP.

The band of thieves were the Gerudo, which are in fact the Twili acording to a lot of theories, including my own. The Golden Land is the Sacred Realm, how is it not a mistake to rename it? And huh, by the time ALttP rolled around, OoT and TP never existed so whatever they designed in that game was original. They have made mistakes...Plus, you cant say they never made a mistake, especially when it comes to the so called timeline and game connections.

Mike Pothier

Lord Shaper
The Gerudo were thieves, but weren't THE thieves in the LttP legend, simply because only Ganon ever made it into the Sacred Realm. I never saw any evidence that they are the Twili. Its in interesting theory, but I'd have to see more circumstantial evidence before I could commit to that.

Aside from that, the reason I believe the Twili are the thieves from LttP is because the legend closely mirrors what the Twili tried. All you need to do is add Ganondorf, and the it pretty much IS the Lttp backstory.

The Golden Land is the Sacred Realm, how is it not a mistake to rename it?

Why is it a renaming? Couldn't it simply be another name for the same place? Remember that the language spoken in LttP is NOT the same language from OoT, hence Link's need for the The Book of Mudora. The Golden Land could simply be a translation of the old hylian name Sacred Realm.

And huh, by the time ALttP rolled around, OoT and TP never existed so whatever they designed in that game was original.

Not quite following you here. Are you saying you saying OoT and TP never happened in the LttP timeline? Thats pretty much up for debate, but I think they all fit in nicely with each other.

I'm not saying Nintendo never made mistakes with the timeline, but I do think most of it can fit together.

Play Twilight Princess, you'll find plenty of evidence.

- Zant marks the Gerudo symbol.
- Once you enter the Gerudo Desert for the first time, Midna gives you a major hint on what happened to the Gerudo.
- Ganondorf (whom is Gerudo) possesses the power of the Twili, plus it is said he is the true King of the Twilight.
- Ganondorf was also banished to the Twilight Realm.
- The Gerudo is the only missing race in TP. (The Sheikahs still exist, go to Hidden Village)
- Ganondorf being a Gerudo tried to conquer Hyrule with his followers, he was later banished (most likely during Young Links timeline)
- The Twili possess skills in the black arts, as do the Gerudo.
- The fact the Mirror of Twilight is in the Gerudo Desert.
- The fact that the 'prison' (when Ganondorf was sentenced to death) is now in the Gerudo Desert.

Plenty more where that came from ;)

Mike Pothier

Lord Shaper
But, if the Gerudo are the Twili, then why was the Twilight Realm already in existance when Ganondorf was banished to it? Zant had no idea who Ganondorf was, and his backstory seemed to imply that the twili had been imprisoned for quite some time before Ganon ever show up in his god form.

Important question: did Zant have the Gerudo symbol on him BEFORE Ganon possessed him?

Yes he did have it on him before Ganondorf became his false god. Remember that he was only seen as a god since he had the Triforce of Power. But see, since TP occurs hundreds of years after OoT, it wouldnt really matter who was sent first. Zant was more than likely the new born Gerudo that tried to take over Hyrule, failed, then finally took over Hyrule with the help of the Twilight and Ganondorf.

Mike Pothier

Lord Shaper
TP took place hundreds of years after OoT, but the flashback of Ganon's trial takes place immediately after OoT (child link's ending). It doesn't make sense otherwise, since the Sages did not know about Ganon possessing the Triforce of Power.

Since Zant did have the Gerudo symbol on him, the only explaination that makes sense to me is that its an easter egg Nintendo put in.

Yea...doesnt mean Ganondorf died...noticed that he lives on an almost immortal level? Al I have left to say is play through TP again and pay close attention to storyline details, that game explained a lot more than peoplke actually think.

Mike Pothier

Lord Shaper
Hmm. I just can't see it. The Sages clearly had no idea about the Ganon's possession of the Triforce of Power. If the scene really taken place sometime after the end of OoT, they should have known that. I mean, in Wind Waker, both Medli and Makar went from complete ignorance to Hylian History Professor upon being woken up to their sage heritage.

So, in my mind, the only reason the Sages didn't know about Ganon's possession of the Triforce of Power is because that scene took place around the time Link left for Termina, when the timeline split and Ganon was brought up on charges of attempting to take over Hyrule (hence, the whole reason for the split timeline). If it takes place around that time, then the Gerudo cannot be the Twili, who were already imprisoned at that point.

But whatever. We should just agree to disagree.:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom