• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is It Okay to Be Non-religious?

I want this to be a serious topic since I've been feeling really down about this lately. Do you think it's okay for some people to be non-religious or not? I'm non-religious myself, but I get three people over at another forum wanting to pick a fight with me after I said I was along with thinking I was starting a debate even though I wasn't trying to. Am I considered a bad person for being non-religious or a person who has every right to her decision?

Big Octo

=^)
Of course it's okay. You deserve the same respect that you give to the religious. Whether or not you're a good person should not and does not depend on your religion (or lack thereof).

Stitch

Local Alien
Of course it's okay to be non-religious. A good chunk of the members who frequent this forum are non-religious, including myself. We all have a choice to believe/not believe what we want to believe/not believe and nobody has the right to take that away from us. And as long as these beliefs (or lack thereof) don't hurt others than you are not in the wrong for believing/not believing.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Of course it is.

Religion is nothing but a belief. You can choose to believe or not - non religious simply choose follow the latter. In fact I would argue that most people would be non religious without any external influence swaying their view point on the world. I view atheism as completely natural, but I have no problem with anyone who chooses to follow religious teachings as it's an individual choice.

There would be a lot less hatred in the world if everyone would just accept everyone's right to choose what they believe in. Neither party is in the wrong.

Dio

~ ZD's Pug Dealer ~
I want this to be a serious topic since I've been feeling really down about this lately. Do you think it's okay for some people to be non-religious or not? I'm non-religious myself, but I get three people over at another forum wanting to pick a fight with me after I said I was along with thinking I was starting a debate even though I wasn't trying to. Am I considered a bad person for being non-religious or a person who has every right to her decision?
I don't think it is ok that you have had to even ask this. People should be free to believe whatever they want.
I don't know where you are from but, in England most people seem to be non religious anyway. Perhaps in more religious societies where there is a clear majority of people who are religious, non religious people might be looked down upon. I think when people are part of organised groups and all share the same beliefs they can take a superior attitude and feel above those with beliefs different from their own.

Azure Sage

Spread Smiles!
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Unfortunately, there are a lot of people in the world who think that it is a bad thing. But it's best to ignore those types of people. It's not inherently bad to be non-religious. Belief is a choice; it's not something anyone has to believe in, or has to follow. If you're comfortable with your beliefs, then that's all that matters. No one has the right to tell you that your beliefs, or lack of beliefs, are wrong.

I don't think it is ok that you have had to even ask this. People should be free to believe whatever they want.
I don't know where you are from but, in England most people seem to be non religious anyway. Perhaps in more religious societies where there is a clear majority of people who are religious, non religious people might be looked down upon. I think when people are part of organised groups and all share the same beliefs they can take a superior attitude and feel above those with beliefs different from their own.
And what is wrong with me asking this question? It's still a thread to discuss about. Nothing wrong about it.

I live in the US.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
What you choose to believe in or not believe in, or be apathetic towards is your own concern.
Anyone who says otherwise should go play in traffic.

People will always have opinions, and try to tell you how to think, but you shouldn't concern yourself over it.
What forum did you originally post your thoughts on?

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
You asked two questions with two different answers. One you won't like, but I hope the second will provide some comfort.

Do you think it's okay for some people to be non-religious or not?
No. Most of the world being separated from God is a sad state of affairs. "It is not good for man to be alone." (not using this quote the same way it was meant in its context, but it still applies.) Sin created a rift between Man and God. God can close that gap, but those who do not seek a relationship with him are still caught on the other side, which is not good. Now, being "religious" isn't necessarily the same thing as having a relationship with God, but I assume that's your intended meaning.

Am I considered a bad person for being non-religious or a person who has every right to her decision?
No you're not considered a bad person. You're no worse a person than a religious person -- or rather, a religious person is no better than you. God created everyone equal, and all have fallen short of His glory. Depending on your perspective, either we're all "bad people" or we're all "good people". Of course you have every right to your decision and I can't force you to change it, though I urge you to reconsider because I think it's a bad one.

Of course you have every right to your decision and I can't force you to change it, though I urge you to reconsider because I think it's a bad one.
If I changed into being a more religious person, then I'll feel even more terrible about it. I know it's a terrible choice I'm making, but it's something I don't want to change about myself.

Dio

~ ZD's Pug Dealer ~
And what is wrong with me asking this question? It's still a thread to discuss about. Nothing wrong about it.

I live in the US.
The thing that is not ok is the situation that has caused you to ask this. Ideally you'd be able to believe what you want and know full well that you are ok to do so.

US is quite a bit more religious than the UK

If I changed into being a more religious person, then I'll feel even more terrible about it. I know it's a terrible choice I'm making, but it's something I don't want to change about myself.
Being non-religious is hardly a terrible choice to make.

Don't let others make you feel guilty about it. If there is one thing religions are good at, it's making you feel guilty about even the most mundane things.

Why wouldn't it be? Its your life and you hafta decide how best to make sense of it and if not being religious is your thing and makes the most sense to you then anyone who says otherwise can suck it. Being religious or unreligious does not automatically indicate that you have Ethics or Lack them. Only you as a person can determine those things. Do yourself a favor and ignore the loud-mouth, shaming bigots who think they're better then everyone else and can trample anyone they want underfoot. Bullies are all people like that really are.

Last edited:

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Considering most of my friends and myself are non-religious, my rather biased answer is; of course it's okay. But going beyond my own self-interest in this matter, it should always be okay to "be" something, regardless of what that something is. Being something isn't an action, it isn't a choice, it's just there. It's part of what makes up our identity.

It's the actions we choose to take that matter, at least what should matter.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
No. Most of the world being separated from God is a sad state of affairs. "It is not good for man to be alone." (not using this quote the same way it was meant in its context, but it still applies.) Sin created a rift between Man and God. God can close that gap, but those who do not seek a relationship with him are still caught on the other side, which is not good. Now, being "religious" isn't necessarily the same thing as having a relationship with God, but I assume that's your intended meaning.
You didn't come off as very religious to me, Locke. When I was first reading your response I was a bit surprised. In fact, when I read the thread title, I expected every answer to be "of course it's okay", but I understand where you are coming from after realizing that your response is based on what is outlined in the Bible.

So what is the overall answer here?

To a person of faith, I would say it is not okay. God wants everyone to follow Him, and therefore it is a problem when people are not. I'm sure religious people would say it's okay, but I think this would go against their own beliefs, or it is completely out of reassurance. However, whether you believe it is "okay" or not, as Locke said, does not define whether or not you are a good person. To a religious person, it just means you need to be steered in the right direction.

As an atheist, I would have to say not only is it okay, but I would actually encourage it. To me, it is the most sound way of thinking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom