• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is It Fair to Judge Something Without Much Experience in the Field?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This has something to do with what I'm endeavouring atm. Anyway, there are many fields that people have to judge in, maybe doing a review for musical instruments or the RF signals in the Wiimote or maybe even Ballz3D who knows. I was wondering if it is fit in your mind for someone who has no meaningful experience in a field to judge something within that field, or the field itself. Why/why do you feel it is that way?

DekuPrincess

Are you serious?!?
It depends on what you mean by experience, and I also think it depends on the thing somewhat. For example, I think you can be a successful movie critic without having ever made a movie, or even been involved in the movie business--but not without a lot of experience watching movies. If your are simply judging something based on its output--like art--then I don't think you need any experience beyond an awareness of other things of a like nature, so as to be able to make an educated and well reasoned comparison. With something where judgment is based on the elements that go into the creation of a thing, however, I do think you need to have a deeper understanding and more practical experience to judge properly. I also think if you are judging something with the goal of helping the creator to improve it, you definitely need a great deal of experience so as to be able to easily understand and explain the weak points and strengths in such a manner that the person you are judging can glean some useful feedback.

Dan

If you get punched in the ballz3D you don't need a doctor to tell you how much it hurts, so sure why not, everyone is entitled to do as they like. People just need to take things with a grain of salt more often and not get in a tantrum over people reviewing or cooking something their first time. Yes Van please review ballz3d ;)

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
You have to understand what it is you're judging before you can, ya know ... judge it. Critique it, or whatever. Otherwise you're just mouthing off and may not know wtf you're talking about. So of course no one can judge something they don't understand. That's how misconceptions happen.

Take the Mass Effect "sex scandal" debacle for instance. Seriously, look it up. It's a classic example of someone saying @#$% they know nothing about and making themselves look like idiot of the universe. If you don't understand the subject matter, then you just gotta make stuff up... or guess and stand a significant chance of being wrong. =\

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom