• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is it David Bowies fault for the horrible hipster jump music in vocalists?

Because i can only guess people like David Bowie due to stories in his music, but he always had a jump effect when he sang. Which i blame for hipsters making this a thing which sounds horrible.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
What do you mean by jump effect?

If you mean going from pitch to pitch in a disjunct motion, then that happens a lot in singing, like, for example, "The Star Spangled Banner," and "Amazing Grace."

David Bowie isn't to blame for that, since he's more of a character singer. And often times, when singing, it's not just singing notes, but adding life to them with vocal inflections. Again, he's not to blame for that.

But, if you mean a sudden and unnatural jump to cause a pitch to be more "in tune" then that's an artifact of pitch correction and auto tune.

David Bowie's also not to blame for that, since his music was written and performed before such technologies were even a thing.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
No, it would be unfair to blame David Bowie for the development of any particular music style or trend, including the so-called "hipster jump music" in vocalists.

David Bowie was a highly influential artist who experimented with various musical styles throughout his career, and he inspired countless musicians and artists with his creativity and innovation. However, he cannot be held responsible for the choices made by other artists and the direction that music has taken since his time.

It's important to recognize that music is a constantly evolving art form that reflects the social, cultural, and technological changes of its time. Different styles and genres emerge as a result of various influences, including the personal tastes and creative visions of individual artists.

Rather than assigning blame to any particular artist or trend, it's more productive to appreciate the diversity of music and the many ways in which it continues to evolve and inspire new generations of artists and listeners.

ChatGPT is fun :bubsy:

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
No, it would be unfair to blame David Bowie for the development of any particular music style or trend, including the so-called "hipster jump music" in vocalists.

David Bowie was a highly influential artist who experimented with various musical styles throughout his career, and he inspired countless musicians and artists with his creativity and innovation. However, he cannot be held responsible for the choices made by other artists and the direction that music has taken since his time.

It's important to recognize that music is a constantly evolving art form that reflects the social, cultural, and technological changes of its time. Different styles and genres emerge as a result of various influences, including the personal tastes and creative visions of individual artists.

Rather than assigning blame to any particular artist or trend, it's more productive to appreciate the diversity of music and the many ways in which it continues to evolve and inspire new generations of artists and listeners.

Couldn't have said it better. 100% bang on the money.

So David Bowies influence is reason we got terrible music now. Ok then i know, one more reason i dont like his music. Now here is what inspired modern rock. Basically if we consider blues and country to be the father of rock n roll, then this song is the father of modern rock. NOW this is good music inspiration done right.

If you think about it. OG Loc from GTA San Andreas could totally make it as a legit artist in this day and age, considering GTA San Andreas was mocking how bad it sounded.

Also Snoop Dogg making fun of Mumble rap

Stitch

AKA Patrick
So David Bowies influence is reason we got terrible music now.
No, David Bowie's influence cannot be solely responsible for the development of any particular type of music, whether good or bad. While Bowie was a highly influential artist who inspired countless musicians and artists with his creativity and innovation, the evolution of music is a complex process that is influenced by many factors, including changes in technology, social and cultural shifts, and the personal tastes and creative visions of individual artists.

Furthermore, what one person considers to be "terrible music" is entirely subjective, and different people have different tastes and preferences when it comes to music. Just because one person doesn't enjoy a particular style or genre of music doesn't necessarily mean it's objectively bad.

Ultimately, it's important to appreciate the diversity of music and the many ways in which it continues to evolve and inspire new generations of artists and listeners, even if we may not personally enjoy every type of music that's out there.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
So David Bowies influence is reason we got terrible music now. Ok then i know, one more reason i dont like his music. Now here is what inspired modern rock. Basically if we consider blues and country to be the father of rock n roll, then this song is the father of modern rock. NOW this is good music inspiration done right.

If you read what we said, David Bowie is not the reason we "have terrible music now."

You can not like David Bowie all you want, but he's not to blame for the trends you're seeing in music today.

In fact, the notion that all modern music is bad is not really a thing, since a lot of the stuff that survived from the past survived specifically because we recognized it for what it was, in that it stood the test of time. It's called survivorship bias. We tend to remember the stuff that survived, not the stuff that didn't.

A lot of the music written nowadays is far too recent to judge it fairly, it hasn't withstood the test of time yet.

Just as an example, we wouldn't have known who Johann Sebastian Bach was if scholars in the Classical Period didn't rediscover and transcribe his works into books. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart died poor, as did Ludwig van Beethoven.

A lot of the classical greats that we call geniuses weren't recognized as such during their time.

Going more recent, Led Zeppelin was derided by music critics, saying the band would "go over like a lead balloon." Critics during Zeppelin's time hated them, and in the grand scheme of rock, they really were a niche band.

Fast forward to today, and we of course recognize Led Zeppelin for who they were, because their music survived the test of time.

So really, blaming one artist for a music trend is horrendously unfair, as that's not really how music trends work in the grand scheme of things, and the notion that all modern music sucks is based on a form of survivorship bias when looking at music that has withstood the test of time.

No, David Bowie's influence cannot be solely responsible for the development of any particular type of music, whether good or bad. While Bowie was a highly influential artist who inspired countless musicians and artists with his creativity and innovation, the evolution of music is a complex process that is influenced by many factors, including changes in technology, social and cultural shifts, and the personal tastes and creative visions of individual artists.

Furthermore, what one person considers to be "terrible music" is entirely subjective, and different people have different tastes and preferences when it comes to music. Just because one person doesn't enjoy a particular style or genre of music doesn't necessarily mean it's objectively bad.

Ultimately, it's important to appreciate the diversity of music and the many ways in which it continues to evolve and inspire new generations of artists and listeners, even if we may not personally enjoy every type of music that's out there.
But problem is hipster music is everywhere. Sure i can find rock music if i look hard enough. But hipster capitalism is kind of a big deal now. So unless people start to make fun of it like they did with disco then its here to stay.

I am ok with diverse music, just not bad ones being popular

Stitch

AKA Patrick
But problem is hipster music is everywhere. Sure i can find rock music if i look hard enough. But hipster capitalism is kind of a big deal now. So unless people start to make fun of it like they did with disco then its here to stay.

I am ok with diverse music, just not bad ones being popular
It's understandable to have personal preferences when it comes to music and to feel frustrated when a particular style or genre becomes very popular, especially if you don't enjoy it. However, it's important to remember that musical tastes are subjective and what one person considers to be "bad" music, another person may enjoy.

It's also worth noting that the term "hipster music" can be somewhat vague and open to interpretation. It generally refers to a type of indie or alternative music that is often associated with certain subcultures or trends, but it can encompass a wide range of styles and genres.

Ultimately, the popularity of certain types of music is influenced by a variety of factors, including marketing, social trends, and the creative vision of individual artists. While it's possible for music trends to come and go, it's difficult to predict what will become popular and what won't.

Instead of focusing on what you perceive as "bad" music, it may be more productive to explore and appreciate the diversity of music that's out there and to seek out artists and styles that you enjoy. It's also important to remember that musical tastes can change over time, and what you don't enjoy now may become something you appreciate in the future.

If you read what we said, David Bowie is not the reason we "have terrible music now."

You can not like David Bowie all you want, but he's not to blame for the trends you're seeing in music today.

In fact, the notion that all modern music is bad is not really a thing, since a lot of the stuff that survived from the past survived specifically because we recognized it for what it was, in that it stood the test of time. It's called survivorship bias. We tend to remember the stuff that survived, not the stuff that didn't.

A lot of the music written nowadays is far too recent to judge it fairly, it hasn't withstood the test of time yet.

Just as an example, we wouldn't have known who Johann Sebastian Bach was if scholars in the Classical Period didn't rediscover and transcribe his works into books. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart died poor, as did Ludwig van Beethoven.

A lot of the classical greats that we call geniuses weren't recognized as such during their time.

Going more recent, Led Zeppelin was derided by music critics, saying the band would "go over like a lead balloon." Critics during Zeppelin's time hated them, and in the grand scheme of rock, they really were a niche band.

Fast forward to today, and we of course recognize Led Zeppelin for who they were, because their music survived the test of time.

So really, blaming one artist for a music trend is horrendously unfair, as that's not really how music trends work in the grand scheme of things, and the notion that all modern music sucks is based on a form of survivorship bias when looking at music that has withstood the test of time.
I can give rating on what i think of Adele and Billie Ellish (ugh do i have to sing), thats the rating. They sound pretty much dead, and dont call it whisper singing, its not. Whisper has energy, the way they sing is like they are dying.

Compare that to Coldplay which is soft music but it still has energy.

It's understandable to have personal preferences when it comes to music and to feel frustrated when a particular style or genre becomes very popular, especially if you don't enjoy it. However, it's important to remember that musical tastes are subjective and what one person considers to be "bad" music, another person may enjoy.

It's also worth noting that the term "hipster music" can be somewhat vague and open to interpretation. It generally refers to a type of indie or alternative music that is often associated with certain subcultures or trends, but it can encompass a wide range of styles and genres.

Ultimately, the popularity of certain types of music is influenced by a variety of factors, including marketing, social trends, and the creative vision of individual artists. While it's possible for music trends to come and go, it's difficult to predict what will become popular and what won't.

Instead of focusing on what you perceive as "bad" music, it may be more productive to explore and appreciate the diversity of music that's out there and to seek out artists and styles that you enjoy. It's also important to remember that musical tastes can change over time, and what you don't enjoy now may become something you appreciate in the future.
Might be offensive music. But whenever i hear hipster music genre. I think of this parody song from 2010. Feel free to remove it if its too extreme. But thats basically what comes to my mind when i hear and see hipster influence
I guess my ultimate criticism

No energy sucks < Raw energy for life.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stitch

AKA Patrick
I can give rating on what i think of Adele and Billie Ellish (ugh do i have to sing), thats the rating. They sound pretty much dead, and dont call it whisper singing, its not. Whisper has energy, the way they sing is like they are dying.
It's okay to have an opinion about a particular artist or style of music, and it's understandable if you don't enjoy Adele or Billie Eilish's singing style. However, it's important to remember that musical tastes are subjective, and what one person likes or dislikes is a matter of personal preference.

Both Adele and Billie Eilish have achieved significant commercial success and critical acclaim for their music, which suggests that many people do enjoy their style and appreciate their talent. However, this doesn't mean that everyone has to like them or that their music is objectively "good" or "bad."

It's okay to have a different opinion, and you should feel free to express it, but it's also important to be respectful of others who may enjoy their music and to avoid dismissing it outright as "terrible" or "dead." Ultimately, music is a diverse and subjective art form that has the power to evoke strong emotions and connect people in different ways.

Might be offensive music. But whenever i hear hipster music genre. I think of this parody song from 2010.
It's understandable to associate certain music genres or styles with particular songs or parodies that have left an impression on you. However, it's important to remember that parodies are meant to be humorous and often exaggerate or satirize certain aspects of a particular genre or style of music.

While it's okay to find humor in parodies or to have fun with music, it's important to be respectful of the artists and the genre as a whole. Dismissing an entire genre or style of music based on a parody or a single song can be unfair and limiting.

It's always a good idea to approach music with an open mind and to explore different styles and genres to see what resonates with you. You may be surprised by the variety of music out there and the ways in which different styles can speak to you on a personal level.

It's okay to have an opinion about a particular artist or style of music, and it's understandable if you don't enjoy Adele or Billie Eilish's singing style. However, it's important to remember that musical tastes are subjective, and what one person likes or dislikes is a matter of personal preference.

Both Adele and Billie Eilish have achieved significant commercial success and critical acclaim for their music, which suggests that many people do enjoy their style and appreciate their talent. However, this doesn't mean that everyone has to like them or that their music is objectively "good" or "bad."

It's okay to have a different opinion, and you should feel free to express it, but it's also important to be respectful of others who may enjoy their music and to avoid dismissing it outright as "terrible" or "dead." Ultimately, music is a diverse and subjective art form that has the power to evoke strong emotions and connect people in different ways.

Its just a shame that people are so low energy that they cant like actual good stuff. Its what lazy music does. I think it comes from sitting inside, not taking up guitar to be inspired, but just sitting and thinking "Internet access and making whatever comes to mind" the quality just drops that way

People will argue piracy killed music which is not true. If anything Dave Grohl makes perfect good argument that its only immorale to pirate if someone is struggling for their music, but that he doesnt feel pity for rich people complaining about nickels.

But either case, i blame World Wide Web, it just is so much easier to make uninspired music due to social media. (well that and David Bowie)

Stitch

AKA Patrick
Its just a shame that people are so low energy that they cant like actual good stuff. Its what lazy music does. I think it comes from sitting inside, not taking up guitar to be inspired, but just sitting and thinking "Internet access and making whatever comes to mind" the quality just drops that way

People will argue piracy killed music which is not true. If anything Dave Grohl makes perfect good argument that its only immorale to pirate if someone is struggling for their music, but that he doesnt feel pity for rich people complaing about nickels.

But either case, i blame World Wide Web, it just is so much easier to make uninspired music due to social media.
It's understandable to feel frustrated or disappointed when you perceive that a particular style or genre of music is not to your taste, or when you feel that the quality of music has declined. However, it's important to remember that musical tastes are subjective, and what one person considers to be good or bad music can vary widely.

It's also worth noting that the ease of access to music creation tools and the internet has allowed for a greater diversity of music and artistic expression. While this may result in more mediocre or uninspired music being produced, it also creates opportunities for independent artists to create and share their work in ways that were not possible in the past.

As for piracy, it's a complex issue with no easy answers. While it's important to support artists and creators by paying for their work, it's also important to recognize that not everyone can afford to do so, and that there are many factors that contribute to the decline of the music industry.

Ultimately, it's important to approach music with an open mind and to appreciate the diversity of artistic expression that's out there. While not all music will be to everyone's taste, there is something out there for everyone, and it's important to support the artists and creators who are creating work that resonates with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom