• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Wind Waker Is It Considered An Old Shame?

While the fanbase hates Wind Waker with a passion, Nintendo seems to love it. In fact...Aonuma almost seems resentful that Wind Waker isn't one of the more popular titles.

I've seen the opposite, Wind Waker seems like one of the most popular titles in the fanbase. It was hated when it was first unveiled, to be sure, but that backlash had mostly ended by the time TP came out.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
Absolutely not! Where do you see all this hatred? It seems that in recent years, The Wind Waker has been accepted by most of the fanbase as a good game. Nintendo themselves seem to love The Wind Waker -- we wouldn't have The Wind Waker HD if it was an "old shame".

Instead, I think the reason it's not being included is because it's not nearly as popular as the other games. Though hardcore fans know about TWW and like it, it's never been something that the mainstream Zelda audience, those that aren't hardcore fans, really care about. They're comprised instead of the nostalgic Ocarina of Time fans, the modern Twilight Princess fans, and the newer Skyward Sword fans. It makes perfect sense that they're focusing on those three games; they're trying to attract the larger part of the fanbase.

Look at it this way. It's not that they're EXCLUDING The Wind Waker characters, it's that they're determined to INCLUDE the characters from the more popular games first. After all, do you think they view Majora's Mask as an old shame? There aren't necessarily playable characters from that game, either. And what about all the other Zelda games that also aren't being included? (I mean, I'd personally LOVE to see Marin as a character...)

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
Never heard of people hating on the Windwaker. If you don't like 'cartoony' games, you shouldn't even play Nintendo games at all. I found it to be to easy too though, but I still think it's an awesome game. Guess the art style just doesn't match with Hyrule Warriors.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
The notion of this thread is based on the concept that the fans do not like Wind Waker which hasn't been the case for a long time. While it's true that WW's release had negative results and it's, numerically speaking, one of the worst selling games in the Zelda series, the overwhelming love that stems towards this game is astounding. Wind Waker gains so much love that it was re-released on the Wii-U in HD, (a move I still say is redundant, but I digress) not to mention, Toon Link made an appearance in Brawl. If Nintendo is electing to exclude Wind Waker characters, I don't think it's due to hatred towards the game.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
@Random Person

I feel it's the opposite. Now, depending on how you look at it, Wind Waker might not have sold that badly. If you look at it from the perspective of "Even Link's Crossbow Training sold better", then yeah, it sold badly...but the sad truth is, that game's sold better than most of the real Zelda titles. And while more popular games like OoT and TP dwarf Wind Waker in sales, it remains...pretty average overall. It's the 6th/7th selling out of all of them and in the middle of the 3D Zelda titles, outselling SS and MM.

On the other hand, it seems that WW gets more hate than any other title with the mainstream audience. Yes, including the CD-i titles and Zelda II, but not because it's worse...because a lot of people in the mainstream fanbase haven't heard of or played either of these and they're ancient.

I know people hated the graphics back when it came out, but I only ever see praise for it these days.
I have to agree. I really don't like the graphics style of WW even to this day. But I will say it has aged so very well. I'd say it's visuals have aged better then any other 3D Zelda game. (I do think WWGC looks better then WWHD). I think these days most people can put aside the small hatred they had for the game and appreciate for what it is.

I have to agree. I really don't like the graphics style of WW even to this day. But I will say it has aged so very well. I'd say it's visuals have aged better then any other 3D Zelda game. (I do think WWGC looks better then WWHD). I think these days most people can put aside the small hatred they had for the game and appreciate for what it is.

The graphics for WW easily aged better than the N64 games & Twilight Princess (imo), I agree. Despite how childish the graphics look, they still look very good for a game that came out in 2002.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom