• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Wind Waker Is It Considered An Old Shame?

I kept thinking this after there's a possibility that none of the characters from WW are making an appearance in HW. Is it because Nintendo thinks it almost ruined the franchise as a whole back when it was first announced & released? There's just so much hatred towards this game & it's mainly because of its artstyle & difficulty.

Do you guys also think it's an old shame or not?

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I don't think so considering the Wind Waker itself makes an appearance. I think it's just because TWW characters would feel out of place, maybe?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
There really isn't that much hatred for WW. Not around these forums anyway. WW characters would look silly in HW's world unless they were radically redesigned The WW itself makes an appearance and really who from WW would be good for HW? Tingle?

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I wouldn't say there's much hatred towards WW. In fact, some people consider it one of the better games. No character was put in due to the art style, most likely, as it is drastically different to the style of HW. The latter game focuses on an anime esqe style, unlike the WW's cartoonish and disproportionate style. The two just don't go together visually, not that Nintendo favors one over the other.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
I honestly doubt it. And Anouma has always seemed particularly fond of WW--I don't think he considers it a shame. At this point, SS is probably is receiving more hate from fans than WW and it's characters and locations made it into HW. Like everyone else said, it's likely the drastically different art styles.

I wouldn't know exactly because I've never played it, but I've had plenty of people recommend it to me, a few of them were complete strangers and it shows up in a lot of what's your top ten favorite Zelda lists, so it must have something good going for it. the only ones who seem to hate on it the loudest are the graphics snobs and the gamers in the stage of I'm-too-cool-for-colorful-and-cutesy. I agree with all the people that said characters from WW wouldn't suit the HW art style.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
and really who from WW would be good for HW? Tingle?

A lot of people have expressed interest in having Medli, Komali, and even King Daphnes as playable characters. There's plenty to choose from.

I really doubt Nintendo is ashamed of it just because it's not in Hyrule Warriors. Following that logic, every Zelda game not in Hyrule Warriors is something Nintendo is ashamed of.

Salem

SICK
They released a remake for WW on the Wii U, Toon Link is playable in Smash Bros, if that proves it's not on old shame, I don't know what will.

Also about Hyrule Warriors, I think it doesn't reference pre-OoT Zelda games enough, I mean no playable characters from LA fro example and I can think of few, but I don't think that game is an old shame for Nintendo.

Fig

The Altruist
I always thought that Wind Waker (combined with Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword) are the Zelda titles that Nintendo themselves to be the most proud of. Focusing on Wind Waker, it has gained a lot of love throughout the years. It's art style is used for other titles within the franchise (Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Four Swords, and Four Swords Adventures), Toon Link not only appeared as a newcomer for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but is a returning veteran for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/Nintendo 3DS and was the second Zelda character to be confirmed nonetheles. Of course, The Wind Waker received an HD remake this past year and was also available as part of the Zelda TWWHD Wii U bundle. I don't think Nintendo considers Wind Waker to be an old shame as Eiji Aonuma stated that Wind Waker is his favorite game not to mention considers the character King Hyrule as a sort of son or virtual image of himself.

Sure it's great to see the Wind Waker (I'm still perplexed to way they called it the Baton) in the game as a weapon that Zelda can use, but outside of that, there is no other form of representation for Wind Waker. There are many characters that they can choose from: Tetra, Medli, Komali, Makar, and even King Daphnes could very well be potential characters that could have been chosen to be part of the roster. For those that don't believe that Wind Waker characters would feel out of place, consider this: Beedle is in Skyward Sword and retains his features and characteristics from the Wind Waker yet has been altered to match the style of Skyward Sword. I don't think it is that much of a stress to see the characters I stated above to be in the game. Really all that need to be done is adjust their models to fit alongside the models that Hyrule Warriors are using. To this day, I am still clinging on to the hope that there will be a character from Wind Waker that will be a playable, specifically Makar as he's one of my favorite character from Wind Waker.

Well I think its more of the particuliar artstyle of HW that is keeping WW characters out, the style is a more realistic one, It'd be weird to throw in a cartoony cell shaded character in with the game.

Well, if they can put Beedle in SS because of his redesign, then surely they can do the same with other WW characters. Just change their artstyle in order to fit with HW's style. That way the characters won't feel out of place.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
While the fanbase hates Wind Waker with a passion, Nintendo seems to love it. In fact...Aonuma almost seems resentful that Wind Waker isn't one of the more popular titles.

While the fanbase hates Wind Waker with a passion, Nintendo seems to love it. In fact...Aonuma almost seems resentful that Wind Waker isn't one of the more popular titles.

I know the game's unpopular amongst the fandom, but I still want to see some love for WW represented in HW. I could say the same for MM, but even that game is loved by the fandom despite it's horrible game design (imo). However, it is still like WW because even though it's loved nowadays, it's still hated by some fans. I understand the cartoony artstyle not fitting well in HW, but again, if they changed how characters like Medli & King Daphnes look, then they'll look less out of place.

If they can do that with Beedle, then why not for other characters?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
MM is loved by a niche fanbase. Notice how outside the moon there isn't much going on for MM either. I think they're doing this for the sake of the wider fanbase and trying to attract them so the game will sell better. OoT and TP are obvious choices for this....SS...well, I think that's because they wanted more than two games truth be told. Or it might be they wanted to choose one timeline and they picked the one that looked the most marketable.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
I know people hated the graphics back when it came out, but I only ever see praise for it these days. In fact, I was looking at a list of the best like 20 Gamecube games of all time, can't remember on what site, but Wind Waker was number 1. So I think people nowadays really appreciate it, and also if I'm taking my information correctly, it's Aounuma's most proud work. Isn't it? I thought it was like his favorite and stuff. Anyways, I don't think no WW character's being in HW is because Nintendo ignores it, it's probably because you can't really picture Beedle being a bada$$ with his frickin Hoyah Pears or anything. I mean come on

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom