• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Is it already too late for the Yiga clan to feel threatening?

I was really hyped for the Yiga in BotW, I loved the idea of a clan of anti-sheikah, it was such a cool and potentially dark and dangerous idea.

But in BotW they were little more than a punchline.

BotW2 looks like it may be a little darker than BotW was and so many of us are expecting some creepy monsters and a bit more tension from the game as a whole, but could the Yiga be used as an actual intimidating threat this time?

In my opinion it's never too late, anything could happen to make them more fearsome and less ridiculous, but what about you?

Would you like the Yiga to stay as they are, or would you like them to be more intimidating and intense next time?

Do you think it's too late to turn them into anything more than a quirky punchline?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
For me personally, it's a bit hard to see the Yiga as threatening when the entire mission centered around infiltrating their hideout and defeating their leader played out like some kind of comedy skit.

Yiga swordmasters chasing after fallen bananas like children after a toy, the weird obsession with bananas itself, and Master Kohga in general all made it feel way too comedic for me to ever see them as the threatening group of assassins the game originally played them up as. If someone hasn't yet played BotW I could see it being different for them, but not for those who have in most cases.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
The game kind of crippled them right out the gate. From the hulking brutes who go all gorilla mode at the sight of bananas to the tubby leader who offs himself with his own spell, the Yiga ceased being intimidating almost the moment they appeared on screen. I don't know what can be done to bring them back from the brink other than getting rid of them.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
The Yiga clan were threatening for me, but only at the very beginning of the game, when the big ones would almost certainly kill me. The first one I managed to take down was for the shrine quest in Kakariko. After that, though, they got progressively less and less of a threat, as I grew stronger and their weirder traits came out. I never had an issue with this, but it did happen.
I think they could make the Yiga clan better, but they’d have to overhaul some things. Perhaps after Kohga’s death, a new leader(s) took over, and they reestablish the Yoga’s fearsome reputation? I don’t know, but a lot is possible.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Ganondorf could just create the Uruk Hai of Yiga with them being intimidating and more of a legit threat. They could have a different look to the red yiga and they could be more fanatical and dangerous. They could still keep the regular guys around being the more comical and weaker orcs of the next game.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
The Yiga are fairly intimidating as they are. I honestly don't think the comedy surrounding them ruins that. Kohga is exactly what you would expect of a man who was born into a pampered cult leader position. That's what you get when you worship a guy from birth. The Yiga are said to routinely ambush and murder travelers, and Dorian in Kakariko tells you they murdered his wife because he left them. The impact they have on the world is very present from a story perspective. From a gameplay standpoint, their constant badgering in the overworld after you beat Kohga can be a annoyance, but it also shows their dedication and you know that their skills would be enough to kill any passerby. Link is different because he's Link, obviously, but the regular citizens wouldn't stand a chance against them.

In short, their cooky banana-loving antics doesn't detract from their intimidation factor for me at all. I'd definitely like to see survivors of the Yiga appear in BotW2.

I think the Yiga Clan are glossed over a bit too much by the average player.

1) Sheikah split 10,000 years prior, one faction abandons technology, other faction becomes militant.

2) Yiga Clan only appears to have started going by that name for around 100 years. Huh?

3) Yiga Clan was founded by Master Kohga. What?

Seriously, something is up with the Yiga Clan. I've been theorizing the Yiga Clan to have some kind of connection to Lorule, but even if that is out of the cards, they may have caused the Calamity. Either way, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (and probably BotW 2) should shed more light on the Yiga Clan, because according to Creating a Champion, the developers wanted to be able to explain and show why the Yiga Clan's symbol is an upside down Sheikah eye, but were unable to.

I think it's completely possible for the Yiga to become threatening villains. First of all, they were unorganized and lazy in Breath of the Wild, but many of them were clearly skilled combatants. Second of all, there is no way a man like Master Kohga could have run an organization like that. It would make a lot of sense if Kohga wasn't the real leader of the Yiga Clan, and he was a simple puppet for the real deal. It would be very smart to have a figurehead leader if your organization operates in the shadows. Plus, with the likely return of Ganondorf, the Yiga could be organized to serve the master that so long ago they pledged to serve.

The Yiga want to revive Ganon. Ganon revives in the sequel's teaser. They're his natural allies and I'd be surprised if he doesn't use them somehow. They can become more threatening through his direct influence, if their leader got more serious, and if the banana jokes were toned down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom